OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:34:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we believe that Holy Fathers were "Theopneistois?"  (Read 1169 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: September 12, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »

I heard from one guy (not an Orthodox, a Ukrainian Eastern Rite Catholic) that we ought to believe that all of the Holy Fathers of the Church were "God-breathed," led by the Holy Spirit in the same way as those who penned the Bible. He argues that at least until the Church was split by the Great Schism of 1054, the Spirit led all those Fathers who were not heretics (Arians, Nestorians etc.) Is this an Orthodox belief, too? Thanks. --G.

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:29:26 PM »

Well, it's coming from a very Western idea of the "God-breathed" nature of Scripture, that is that the Holy Spirit dictated what to write to the authors, who merely copied it down with no input of their own. However, my priest did mention on Sunday that whatever is written that agrees with Holy Scripture is considered itself inspired, on the same level as Scripture (This was during social hour, in the context of the inspired nature of St. John Chrysostom's homilies).

Hope that helps. I'm interested in hearing from someone with more knowledge than I have (and that should be most people here I think).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:05:28 PM »

Seems to me like Eastern Christians who have been influenced by the Western way of making an external authority of something that developed organically within the Church--an authority that stands outside and above the Church and to whom the faithful of the Church must submit without question...  This, however, does not jive with my understanding that the "kingdom of God is within us" (Luke 17:21).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:06:03 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »

Thank you, Ytterbiumanalyst and Peter. --G.

Love never fails.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »

The Holy Bible does say that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God and I believe that in Greek this is the same as saying that it is God-breathed.
Could we have some clarification on this please?

The OOs I'm assuming would not agree at the very least about the date however I think we would say that in every generation God inspires certain men to speak certain words but this does not mean that every word that person might say is inspired but rather simply that those words which are of God are given by Him to the speaker. Again, could somebody with authority speak please?

Generally though, if God can inspire an ass to speak then why not a Church Father?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: