OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 02:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING: St Elias School of Orthodox Theology  (Read 8567 times) Average Rating: 0
Lazarus

« on: July 09, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »

For those of you wishing to pursue a curriculum on Orthodox Theology, DO NOT be deceived by Mr. Melchizedek of St Elias School of Orthodox Theology who is a full blown Zen Buddhist. Mr. Melchizedek, blends fundamental Orthodox Theology with Zen Meditation deceiving the unitiatiated.

Here is my response to his call on his website http://www.orthodoxtheology.us to attend to a Zen Class of Meditation where he even presents a statue of Buddha
http://www.eparchy.us/

> Mr. Melchizedek,
>
> Im embarrassed as an Orthodox Christian to have contributed $2,500
to
> a supposedly Orthodox Theological school, only to find out that the
> Director pushes his own agenda of Buddist Enlightenment. You
immerse
> and teach others to embed themselves in the teachings of the non
Theo-
> anthropic name of Buddha and his teachings and not in the
> Theoanthropic name of Jesus Christ. The Christian Soul should focus
> his heart and his mind on the prayer of the crucified Lord: "Lord
> Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner"., and not in
> nothingness where Zen leads the unsuspecting soul into demonic
> manipulation.
>  As Father Seraphim Rose wrote in "Orthodoxy and Religion of the
> Future", "...phenomena such as Yoga, Zen, Tantra, Transcendental
> Meditation, Maharaj-ji, Hare Krishna, UFO's and the charismatic
> movement are "forerunners of the religion of the ANTI-CHRIST and
that
> their spiritual objective is to make available to Christians the
> demonic initiation hitherto restricted to the pagan world".
>
> You write that:
>
> The viewpoint of Zen is that life lived fully in each moment is an
> end and purpose in itself and not the means for something else
>

> I say this is a Satanic form of self gratification with no place or
> purpose in a Christian's soul.  You expressly stated that this
> meditation is not for the purpose of "something else". The Jesus
> Prayer teaches us to pray for mercy in the hope of attainment of
> eternal life in the Theoanthropic name of Jesus Christ, not in
> Buddha.
>
> I implore the students who have received this offer of "Zen
> training", to reject it, reject your school and reject you for
being
> a mouthpiece of Satan (The Buddha).
>
> Mr. Melchizedek, dont dwell into demonic spiritual practices of the
> Buddha, and teach others the same, but return back to your
> fundamental Orthodox Christian faith and in the spiritual worship
of
> the Holy Trinity.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:15:51 PM »

For those of you wishing to pursue a curriculum on Orthodox Theology, DO NOT be deceived by Mr. Melchizedek of St Elias School of Orthodox Theology who is a full blown Zen Buddhist. Mr. Melchizedek, blends fundamental Orthodox Theology with Zen Meditation deceiving the unitiatiated.
Assuming you're correct, and I don't doubt that you are after having followed the links you provided, why do you deem it necessary to warn us of this danger?  Please forgive me for sounding insensitive to your fears, but I fail to see how this is anything more than a Chicken Little "The sky is falling!" proclamation of impending doom.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »

Seems like some vagante group. 
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »

Thank you for the warning. I am sure that some who are not familiar with all the nuances of Orthodoxy might be confused by this man.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »

Seems like some vagante group. 

It most certainly is. This group is directly responsible for the outrageous activites of ex-communicated layman of the Coptic Church and self-proclaimed Patriarch Max Michel who is trying to rival His Holiness Pope Shenouda III (and were it not for the sick desire of the Egyptian Islamic media to play up the situation, his name would probably never have been known to anyone outside of his own group in the first place). It's just another one of those "we are the true genuine authentic actual true (wait I already said that, didn't I...my bad) Orthodox Church who, 16, 000 years after the "true patristic age" are reviving the true authentic witness of the early Fathers."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:43:50 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »

It most certainly is. This group is directly responsible for the outrageous activites of ex-communicated layman of the Coptic Church and self-proclaimed Patriarch Max Michel who is trying to rival His Holiness Pope Shenouda III (and were it not for the sick desire of the Egyptian Islamic media to play up the situation, his name would probably never have been known to anyone outside of his own group in the first place). It's just another one of those "we are the true genuine authentic actual true (wait I already said that, didn't I...my bad) Orthodox Church who, 16, 000 years after the "true patristic age" are reviving the true authentic witness of the early Fathers."

In all seriousness, I totally disagree.

There is a BIG difference between those of us who actually are members of the "True Orthodox Church" and those who are fakes who use the name "True Orthodox Church" but mix in Catholicism, Buddhism, and the like (aka, vagantes).

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »

http://dmoz.org/Society/Religion_and_Spirituality/Christianity/Denominations/Catholicism/Not_in_Communion_with_Rome/Autocephalous_Churches/Old_Catholic/Independent_Jurisdictions/Christ_Catholic_Church_International/

http://www.nebraskaorthodox.org/

http://www.kentaurus.com/domine/Apostolic.HTM

http://netministries.org/see/churches.exe/ch07324

Woman (Elizabeth Brown) ordained deacon by the director of St. Elias School:  http://www.ind-movement.org/people_br_bz.html

By all appearances, the Orthodox Eparchy of Nebraska that runs the St. Elias School is a vagante group.  The Eparchy claims to have been founded by a synod of Greek Old Calendar bishops, but outside sources cite their membership in the Christ Catholic Church International, an apparently ecumenical organization of churches that are in communion neither with Rome nor with any canonical Orthodox churches (to include such synods in resistance as the Greek Old Calendarists).
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 09:28:56 PM »

For an authoritative response to the group in question, I would refer people to the Join Statement on Max Michel between the Coptic Orthodox and Greek Orthodox Patriarchates of Alexandria: http://www.copticpope.org/downloads/commondec/commondec-2-2006eng.pdf

As you will read, one of the main considerations of their condemnation of Max Michel is the fact he was ordained by "some schismatic and non-canonical bishops who claim to be Orthodox."

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »

For an authoritative response to the group in question, I would refer people to the Join Statement on Max Michel between the Coptic Orthodox and Greek Orthodox Patriarchates of Alexandria: http://www.copticpope.org/downloads/commondec/commondec-2-2006eng.pdf

As you will read, one of the main considerations of their condemnation of Max Michel is the fact he was ordained by "some schismatic and non-canonical bishops who claim to be Orthodox."
EA,

I think you might be talking about a different, though equally vagante, bishop with connections to Nebraska.  It appears that the group the OP referenced was led until recently by a "Bishop" Melchizedek, who is now director of the St. Elias School of Orthodox Theology.  If you know of a connection between the Eparchy of Nebraska and Max Michel--maybe it was Melchizedek who ordained Mad Max--I'd certainly like to know about it.  You're probably right and I just don't see it yet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:20:24 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 11:33:49 PM »

Dear PetertheAleut,

From an interview held with Max Michel by Al-Ahram weekly:

Speaking to Al-Ahram Weekly Maximus said that after leaving the church he began to hold meetings in houses with a number of young people. As these meetings increased, and the number of people attending grew, he was advised by "security men" to establish an association to legalise the gatherings. On 28 September 1992 he established a charity association under the name St Athanasius. The association has a number of branches in Egypt, the latest of which is headquartered in Moqattam. He adds that the association covers only preaching; in other words, it does not practice rituals such as communion, baptism or other sacraments.

"I had to belong to a church," said Maximus, "and I was seeking at the same time to resume my studies. I studied Orthodox theology at St Elias College in Nebraska, where I joined the Holy Synod [of the American Diaspora of True Orthodox Christians].

"After I had finished my studies and obtained my doctorate the college president, Professor Melchizedek, the Bishop of Nebraska, asked if I would be ordained as assistant bishop, and I agreed. I was then attacked by some angry Copts. Melchizedek consequently ordained me as a bishop and a new bishopric was founded in the name of St Athanasius in Egypt and the Middle East
..."

Source: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/802/eg7.htm

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:54 PM »

Dear PetertheAleut,

From an interview held with Max Michel by Al-Ahram weekly:

Thanks for the info, EA.  I kinda suspected this was the case.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:44:59 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Walter

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »

I am responding to the discussion on this forum re: St. Elias. With the Bishop's permission, I am sharing his response to my concerns with St. Elias. I am doing this because if I can be a vessel to dispell any misconceptions or misunderstandings, I am positive the Lord would wish me to do so.

In Christ,
Walter

Dear Mr. Metrick,

Greetings in Christ,

Walter, thank you for your email. Sadly, yes, these forums are quite dated and may relate to an earlier time when St. Elias was in the hands of a bishop (now deposed) and another bishop who is retired. However, even during the tenure of these two bishops St. Elias was strictly Orthodox. None the less, there are many who are against St. Elias, sadly, they are either misinformed, have developed ideas without information (and are hence uneducated ).... nor have they really tried to find the truth. Many are simply against St. Elias because they want prospective students to go to their Seminary!

Happily, to find the truth, you have written me direct and I am delighted to inform you of the fact that St. Elias Seminary and Graduate School is indeed an Orthodox educational institution. The Seminary at St. Elias is specifically designed for Orthodox clergy formation purposes, an on-line review of the deaconate and presbyter formation program(s) curriculum attest to this fact.  The seminary formation course content is strictly Orthodox ... and nothing else, ...no eastern thought and certainly no Buddhism is being taught, nor is it mixed into our course content. Yes, we strictly adhere to the Councils and Church Fathers and Orthodox professors/Orthodox clergy teach the courses.

On the Graduate side of St. Elias the institution is designed to accept any and all who wish to study and earn a graduate degree. While we have Orthodox graduate students from all over the world, there are also many Christians who come to take our advanced degrees who are not Orthodox, however, one will find that Orthodoxy is also the root of our graduate courses.

I heartily encourage you to apply. We have dedicated staff standing by, our Registrar, Mr. Gary Staszak (cc'd on this email) among others who will help field any question(s) you may have in the application process.

In humble prayer unto the Lord.

+ Seraphim
Bishop of Leesburg
Eparch of the Old Dominion
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »

+ Seraphim
Bishop of Leesburg

Who's this Bishop Seraphim of Leesburg? I've never heard of him.

Eparch of the Old Dominion? Who are they?

EDIT:

Okay, I see... http://www.olddominioneparchy.org/

Which brings me to my next question. Why should we trust a bishop of the diocese that officially backs the St. Elias School and advertises the institution on their Web site? Of course they're going to say their own school is Orthodox! The REAL question we should be asking is what those Orthodox bishops OUTSIDE the Diocese of Leesburg and the Eparchy of the Old Dominion have to say about the St. Elias School.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:17:12 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Walter

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »

That is NOW who is in charge of the seminary. He recently sent me in another email a major Orthodox Church is now supporting their program and desires it for their diocanate program. Check out the website. His email is listed. Ask him about the prior bishops. Thanks for responding. Again, I posted this only believing the Lord would want me to help clear up any misinformation re: the seminary.

Blessings,
Walter
Walter

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:30:58 PM »

I also include info from his latest email--with the Bishop's permission:

Dear Mr. Metrick

Walter, thank you for your prompt reply. This indeed is one of those forums in which such negative dialog is taking place, and regarding several individuals and their misguided policies and actions, in many cases, rightfully has taken place. Sadly, the issues linger. However, for the record, I have distanced the Eparchy, and St. Elias for that matter, away from these nefarious individuals (such as Max Michel) and their scurrilous issues. After a great deal of hard work, reviving and revitalizing these institutions, both institutions are back on the narrow path, and do not in anyway adhere to, or continue any past "negative" practices.

Their purpose is to continue to serve our Lord.

In Christ.

+ Seraphim
Bishop of Leesburg
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »

I hope your Bishop won't excommunicate us. I most propably won't survive it for the second time.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »

Roll Eyes This school is not accredited or part of any legitimate Orthodox Church, so it's a non-issue from the start.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »

I hope your Bishop won't excommunicate us. I most propably won't survive it for the second time.
Hahahahaha! I forgot about "His Holynes"!  Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 01:15:55 AM »

I also include info from his latest email--with the Bishop's permission:

Dear Mr. Metrick

Walter, thank you for your prompt reply. This indeed is one of those forums in which such negative dialog is taking place, and regarding several individuals and their misguided policies and actions, in many cases, rightfully has taken place. Sadly, the issues linger. However, for the record, I have distanced the Eparchy, and St. Elias for that matter, away from these nefarious individuals (such as Max Michel) and their scurrilous issues. After a great deal of hard work, reviving and revitalizing these institutions, both institutions are back on the narrow path, and do not in anyway adhere to, or continue any past "negative" practices.

Their purpose is to continue to serve our Lord.

In Christ.

+ Seraphim
Bishop of Leesburg

But what about this other major Orthodox Church you say supports St. Elias and wants to use it for their diaconate program? Who are they? Can you name them?

Again, I don't care what your bishop says about a school in his own diocese, nor do I think anyone else here really cares. What we want to know is what those who don't have a vested interest in advertising this school have to say about it.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »

Who really cares? Use some common sense here. The internet is full of erroneous paths. For example: http://www.themonastery.org/?destination=ordination

Look, if you want to be a priest, a deacon or just an informed lay person - BEFORE ENROLLING IN ANY THEOLOGICAL PROGRAM PLEASE obtain the advice and blessing of your own priest and, if possible the blessing of your Bishop. That will solve any problem any of you may have regarding the legitimacy of any institution or program of higher education.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »

A good rule of thumb for North America, if the bishop ain't on this list, question who the bishop is... http://www.assemblyofbishops.org/directories/bishops/

Joseph
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »

+ Seraphim
Bishop of Leesburg

Who's this Bishop Seraphim of Leesburg? I've never heard of him.

Eparch of the Old Dominion? Who are they?

EDIT:

Okay, I see... http://www.olddominioneparchy.org/

Which brings me to my next question. Why should we trust a bishop of the diocese that officially backs the St. Elias School and advertises the institution on their Web site? Of course they're going to say their own school is Orthodox! The REAL question we should be asking is what those Orthodox bishops OUTSIDE the Diocese of Leesburg and the Eparchy of the Old Dominion have to say about the St. Elias School.

Here's the deal, folks.  Mar Melchizedek, claiming to be an Orthodox bishop in the past, has renounced Christianity and "converted" to Zen Buddhism.  The successors of this "Eparchy of Nebraska" have claimed that Mar Melchizedek has retired and "Bishop Seraphim" of Leesburg Virginia is now running the former "Eparchy".  A
Tags: vagante 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: