OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 08:25:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep On Yappin'  (Read 651 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: July 07, 2007, 05:35:23 AM »

Gender Jabber: Do Women Talk More than Men?

"...A new study published today in Science reports men and woman actually use roughly the same number of words daily..."

"...But in the end, the sexes came out just about even in the daily averages: women at 16,215 words and men at 15,669. In terms of statistical significance, Pennebaker says, 'It's not even remotely close to different.' He does point out that women tend to jaw more about other people, whereas men are apt to hold forth on more concrete objects—so the stereotypes of ladies as gossips and guys engaging in car talk can live on..."

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 05:47:08 AM »

I was reading this article earlier as well, but what I found most interesting was, 'Men showed a slightly wider variability in words uttered, and boasted both the most economical speaker (roughly 500 words daily) and the most verbose yapping at a whopping 47,000 words a day.'

Of course, what was interesting wasn't that these were both men, I think this study shows that gender is relatively insignificant on this particular point, but what are the differences that created this variation? Are they Psychological or Genetic? Are they effected by social status, family position, etc.? Interesting study but the scope was far too narrow to provide any truly interesting data and insights into the human animal.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 05:52:31 AM »

Good questions...  I wonder if it isn't a lot of nuture... for example, boys typically play with building sets, army men, etc. as they grow up, which would be aimed more towards accomplishing a goal and thinking about the process that gets you there; while girls typically play with stuff like tea parties, doll houses, etc., which would be more aimed towards conversation about more personal issues.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags: women  men  talk 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: