OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 03:27:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics have no right to be called Roman  (Read 10210 times) Average Rating: 0
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« on: July 04, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »

Firstly, they are Roman Catholics

They're neither Romans nor Catholics, Latins, Westerners, Papists, etc., etc., yes, and I will even go on to say they are Christians as well...but not Roman, the Roman Church was the Imperial Church, and not Catholic, it's a local patriarchate.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:37:22 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 12:40:26 PM »

They're neither Romans nor Catholics, Latins, Westerners, Papists, etc., etc., yes, and I will even go on to say they are Christians as well...but not Roman, the Roman Church was the Imperial Church, and not Catholic, it's a local patriarchate.

Right. They are Papists!  Wink
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »

And the point of this thread is?

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:59:50 PM »

And the point of this thread is?
Apparently, GiC has some point to make in posting this on the forum. Trolling perhaps?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:35:13 PM »

Apparently, GiC has some point to make in posting this on the forum. Trolling perhaps?

Ummm, yeah, the point was to respond to an accusation you made against me. This is generally a topic I avoid, but I wasn't given too much choice in the matter this time.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:36:30 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 01:44:58 PM »

Catholics don't call themselves "Roman Catholic'....the term was invented by high church Anglicans who liked to refer to themselves as "Anglo-Catholic". The Catholics were the "Papists", the Anglo-Catholics were the "Apists"

Proverbs 22:7
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »

Ummm, yeah, the point was to respond to an accusation you made against me. This is generally a topic I avoid, but I wasn't given too much choice in the matter this time.
Well, you chose not to avoid it this time, and you decided to post it, so I thought I might expose it to a little more scrutiny.
Machiavellian? ....Perhaps... Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »

Well, you chose not to avoid it this time, and you decided to post it, so I thought I might expose it to a little more scrutiny.
Machiavellian? ....Perhaps... Wink

Well, I've made no secret of how easy it is to get me into a fight...call me out and I'll probably come out swinging. Grin

Cowardice is to be feared more than defeat. Wink

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »

Cowardice is to be feared more than defeat. Wink
There's also a fine line between being courageous and being just plain foolhardy.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 01:57:33 PM »

Of course, if the term 'papist' is to be banned on this board, that's fine, just let me know and I'll find another word to use...while I may come across as one, I'm not such a dolt as to be unable to think up synonyms. And even if my knowledge of the English language does let me down, I do know how to use a thesaurus. Perhaps we could have a list of 'forbidden words' to prevent such misunderstandings in the future and I'm still not clear on the status of the term 'papist', which has been used quite extensively on this board and is even the name of one of the posters here.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »

How do you post a 'forbidden' words list without using those words?

Just thought I'd ask...  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 02:08:46 PM »

My, my... agree with GiC in part here. The real question is why we abdicated the word "Catholic" to them, in reality if not officially, not the word "Roman".

Let the games begin.

Thanks, Peter
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:26:32 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 02:10:22 PM »

There's also a fine line between being courageous and being just plain foolhardy.

Courage and Foolishness, like Cowardice and Wisdom, are not synonyms, nor are they antonyms, they are distinct. One can be a courageous fool or a wise coward, just as one can be wise and courageous or cowardly and foolish. To quote the latin proverb, 'timidi mater non flet.'

However, what I suggested was more along the lines of Herodotus: 'Far better is it to have a stout heart always and suffer one's share of evils, than to be ever fearing what may happen and never incur a mischance.'

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »

My, my... agree with GiC in part here. The real question is why we abdicated the word "Catholic" to them, in reality if not officially, not the word "Roman".

Let the games begin.
I don't understand your post.  Do you mean to say something like this:  "The real question is why we abdicated the word 'Catholic' to them,..." ?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:25:45 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »

How do you post a 'forbidden' words list without using those words?

Just thought I'd ask...  Cheesy

Perhaps we could post them in Latin, as has been the custom when writing someting deemed 'inappropriate'.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 02:18:41 PM »

Perhaps we could post them in Latin, as has been the custom when writing someting deemed 'inappropriate'.
But what does that do to us who can read Latin?  If I can read every language, does it matter what language one uses to speak an insult?  It's like the classmate decades ago who thought he could get away with cussing in Spanish around a music teacher, not knowing that she also taught Spanish. Embarrassed  WHOOPS!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »

I can't wait until lubeltri finds out he can't be called Catholic. Perhaps I'll email him a link to this post......

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »

Oh, and shouldn't this forum be renamed? It surely can't continue to be called "Orthodox-Catholic Discussion".
What would you suggest GiC? "Orthodox-Latin Discussion"? But then there's Deacon Lance. hmmmm....

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »

Oh, and shouldn't this forum be renamed? It surely can't continue to be called "Orthodox-Catholic Discussion".
What would you suggest GiC? "Orthodox-Latin Discussion"? But then there's Deacon Lance. hmmmm....

I suggest "Orthodox vs Satan's Church of Pedophile Priests (SCOPPs)  Cool
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:43:58 PM by TomS » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »

Good to see GiC's now in the company of such intellectual giants.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:47:28 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 02:49:22 PM »

But what does that do to us who can read Latin?  If I can read every language, does it matter what language one uses to speak an insult?  It's like the classmate decades ago who thought he could get away with cussing in Spanish around a music teacher, not knowing that she also taught Spanish. Embarrassed  WHOOPS!

LOL...he should have used a less common language. But the theory behind such a practice is that those who were capable of reading Latin, that is to say the more educated segment of society, were not the one's that needed to be protected by censorship, only the masses needed such a protection. Of course, I oppose censorship as an absolute and diabolical evil in EVERY form, infact I would go so far as to say one of the greatest evils in the history of humanity. But if you are going to censor, don't compound your sin by eliminating due process as well, at least make it clear in some form what you are censoring.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »

I guess that could work...regardless of what liturgical rite they use, they're under a Latin Bishop, they're Latins.

Are we going to have to add SCOPP to our list of forbidden words? LOL Cheesy

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 03:03:07 PM »

Boys will be boys...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 03:07:08 PM »

Boys will be boys...

james

Yep. And sometimes even grown men will be boys. I'd say "puerile", but then what do I know?

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »

We don't call ourselves "Roman" Catholics---you guys do. We are officially the "Catholic Church," not the "Roman Catholic Church." So if you want to stop calling us Roman . . . you are more than welcome!  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:32:21 PM by lubeltri » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 03:27:41 PM »

We are the "Catholic Church,"
Well, if GiC has his way, you're not even that.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 03:31:35 PM »

I can't wait until lubeltri finds out he can't be called Catholic. Perhaps I'll email him a link to this post......

Well, I had already changed my label under my name after some had intimated that I was not a Christian. I figured I wouldn't be offending anybody here with that label, even Asterikos (who has been baptized). So hopefully GiC will have nothing to complain about. . .
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 03:32:05 PM »

Well, if GiC has his way, you're not even that.

Franko-Latin Religious Organization, maybe? Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 03:35:13 PM »

Well, there's always the Whore of Babylon. How does that work, GiC?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »

Well, there's always the Whore of Babylon. How does that work, GiC?

That sounds like a lot of fun...are you trying to convert me?

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 03:52:53 PM »

So hopefully GiC will have nothing to complain about. . .

Well if that is true than Fr. Seraphim was wrong and the Second Coming and Judgment does come with a warning, because surely the sky must be falling. I knew I should have been baptized on the Second.....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »

Hey guys. I have to say that I agree with luberti. Since the name of our Church is not "Roman Catholic" but Catholic, so if you stop calling us Roman Catholic, that's cool with me. If you want to call us latin Catholics, that's ok too because that is the jurisdiction to which I belong. But taking out the term Catholic is just silly. That's the name of our Church. You may not believe that we are the Catholic Church refered to in the creed, and that's fine. But our name is Catholic. You can't change our name for us. Just as my name is Christopher, and which means Christ-brearer. Even if you don't believe I am a Christ-bearer, It is still my name.
Many Blessings to all of you.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »

Just as my name is Christopher, and which means Christ-brearer. Even if you don't believe I am a Christ-bearer, It is still my name.

No, it's not, it's Papist. Tongue

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »

catholic church, catholic church...Rome, hmmmm, let me think...

Oh yeah, I remember it - the Formerly Orthodox Church of Rome !

Yep, Charlemagne's church...FOCOR !

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »

catholic church, catholic church...Rome, hmmmm, let me think...

Oh yeah, I remember it - the Formerly Orthodox Church of Rome !

Yep, Charlemagne's church...FOCOR !
Again... not our name.  Smiley

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 07:37:41 PM »

It's just a sign of respect to call groups by the names they call themselves. That is why I try not to call Orthodox "Eastern" Orthodox (though admittedly many Orthodox see Orthodoxy=Eastern and vice versa) or "Schismatic Greeks," etc. So I certainly like to be called Catholic---no more, no less.

(MTA: D'oh! Forgot to add the trademark.)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:39:52 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »

So sad...too bad for FOCOR...name's in use already, but spelled with a "K".  Wink

And likewise I will refrain from using such terminology as "Papist Church, Graceless Heretics'' - that's only fair.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »

I would partake of this extremely lively and pointless discussion, but instead I will drink a few cold brewski's, eat some chips and salsa and watch some baseball...late

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 09:18:05 PM »

I would partake of this extremely lively and pointless discussion, but instead I will drink a few cold brewski's, eat some chips and salsa and watch some baseball...late

james

I doubt anyone has yet to partake in this completely pointeless discussion until they have consumed more than a 'few' beers. Wink

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »

I doubt anyone has yet to partake in this completely pointeless discussion until they have consumed more than a 'few' beers. Wink

Still in the fast...light  headed, dizzy spells, etc.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 02:42:53 AM »

We don't call ourselves "Roman" Catholics---you guys do. We are officially the "Catholic Church," not the "Roman Catholic Church." So if you want to stop calling us Roman . . . you are more than welcome!  Smiley

Hey guys. I have to say that I agree with luberti. Since the name of our Church is not "Roman Catholic" but Catholic, so if you stop calling us Roman Catholic, that's cool with me. If you want to call us latin Catholics, that's ok too because that is the jurisdiction to which I belong. But taking out the term Catholic is just silly. That's the name of our Church. You may not believe that we are the Catholic Church refered to in the creed, and that's fine. But our name is Catholic. You can't change our name for us. Just as my name is Christopher, and which means Christ-brearer. Even if you don't believe I am a Christ-bearer, It is still my name.
Many Blessings to all of you.
"Catholic" is the name you give yourselves.  The problem we Orthodox have with calling your church the Catholic Church without any regional/local qualifier is that we also call our church the Catholic Church--some churches in our communion even use the name Catholic in their official titles (e.g., the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in America, or something like that).  When I'm talking to a Roman Catholic--sorry, the context of this statement requires me to use this qualifier--I'll use the term "Catholic" without any qualifiers, knowing that in interfaith dialog we almost always refer to ourselves as Eastern Orthodox, or just Orthodox.  It just makes sense.

However, when I talk with other Orthodox, which I do in most of my discussions on this forum, I will speak in language my fellow Orthodox Christians understand.  If when speaking to fellow Orthodox I speak of the Catholic Church, I don't give them reason to know whether I'm talking about the "one holy, catholic, apostolic Church" which we believe we are, or about the Roman Church.  When I speak to other Orthodox, therefore, I will speak of the Roman church as the Roman Catholic Church, the Roman church, or simply the RC church to make sure they know I'm talking about that church that calls the Pope of Rome her supreme pontiff.  Since most of my discussions on this Orthodox forum are with the faithful of the Orthodox Church (Eastern or Oriental), you're stuck with me attaching the qualifier "Roman" to that which you call the Catholic Church.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »

It's amusing in a snarky way to read this thread, because anyone with eyes to see can see that this is all sales-pitching. For a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the USA, it boils down to a choice between

"We're always right because we're all-encompassing"

and

"We're all-encompassing because we're always right"

which I would submit is not a compelling choice.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »

Well, to get back to the original issue, I think the church should be called the Vatican Catholic Church as the Vatican is an independent nation and is not considered to be part of Rome. Therefore, they have no right to be called Roman unless they submit to being part of the city.  Wink

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 01:36:42 PM »

Well, to get back to the original issue, I think the church should be called the Vatican Catholic Church as the Vatican is an independent nation and is not considered to be part of Rome. Therefore, they have no right to be called Roman unless they submit to being part of the city.  Wink

Better yet, just roll them back to their original 10 dioceses around Rome (later the Papal Estates) and let them go on...

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 02:10:20 PM »

"Catholic" is the name you give yourselves.  The problem we Orthodox have with calling your church the Catholic Church without any regional/local qualifier is that we also call our church the Catholic Church--some churches in our communion even use the name Catholic in their official titles (e.g., the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in America, or something like that).  When I'm talking to a Roman Catholic--sorry, the context of this statement requires me to use this qualifier--I'll use the term "Catholic" without any qualifiers, knowing that in interfaith dialog we almost always refer to ourselves as Eastern Orthodox, or just Orthodox.  It just makes sense.

However, when I talk with other Orthodox, which I do in most of my discussions on this forum, I will speak in language my fellow Orthodox Christians understand.  If when speaking to fellow Orthodox I speak of the Catholic Church, I don't give them reason to know whether I'm talking about the "one holy, catholic, apostolic Church" which we believe we are, or about the Roman Church.  When I speak to other Orthodox, therefore, I will speak of the Roman church as the Roman Catholic Church, the Roman church, or simply the RC church to make sure they know I'm talking about that church that calls the Pope of Rome her supreme pontiff.  Since most of my discussions on this Orthodox forum are with the faithful of the Orthodox Church (Eastern or Oriental), you're stuck with me attaching the qualifier "Roman" to that which you call the Catholic Church.
Interesting that you feel that you can change the name of our church for us.

Tags: catholic Roman nomenclature 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: