OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:52:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Email notification of PM's  (Read 859 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: July 04, 2007, 05:16:56 AM »

Although my account has always been set so as to request email notification of PM's, I haven't been receiving any such email notifications since the last upgrade of the forum. I didn't say anything beforehand since I wasn't getting very many PM's anyway and so it didn't bother me too much, but now it's getting rather frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:32:53 AM »

I know it's probably no comfort, but I've stopped getting them as well. I only get notifications when I log on.

I have no idea, but I asked a computer nerd friend of mine, and here was his reply:

Often, servers will block all mail initiated by the server to addresses outside of the server and domains hosted by it. It is a rather severe restriction, forced by some unprotected mail forms,  that could otherwise be found and used by spam distributing bots from the Internet. Allowing spam to be distributed by a mail server could very soon result in blacklisting of the server and significant problems in delivery of legitimate mail to most outside addresses.

To allow arbitrary recipients in mail forms in php, servers will often have a unique php function, for example "h_mail()", that solves the problem. It behaves almost the same way as the standard mail(), but changes the return address from the server to that of the owner of the script that invokes h_mail(), thus making it possible to send mail to arbitrary addresses.

Since his reply sounded as indecipherable to me as some of the memos I received from the Executive while working for the NSW Health Department, I politely thanked him for it, and filed it under "Things To Be Ignored" (where I usually filed most Health Department memos).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 05:52:29 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: