OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Book on Balkans?  (Read 1225 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: July 04, 2007, 01:00:17 AM »

I admit that I don't know as much as I should about the politics and the conflicts that have gone on in the Balkans.  But I want to learn more.  Is there a good book that gives background information on the conflicts in the Balkans and also provides a good description of what has happened there in the 20th century with Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia / Kosovo, Albania, etc.?  Thanks! 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:00:56 AM by StGeorge » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:18:46 AM »

Southserb is the one to ask.
I'm just glad to find a thread that's not about sex or atheism!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:03:35 AM »

To understand the Balkans in the 20th Century one must go at least as far back as the Hapsburgs.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:18:59 AM »

I admit that I don't know as much as I should about the politics and the conflicts that have gone on in the Balkans.  But I want to learn more.  Is there a good book that gives background information on the conflicts in the Balkans and also provides a good description of what has happened there in the 20th century with Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia / Kosovo, Albania, etc.?  Thanks! 

I hope you enjoy reading Wink. An easy and enjoyable introduction in Balkan Ghosts by Robert Kaplan. Moving a little deeper into the subject, you might read The Ottoman Centuries by Lord Kinross. Two other books I own, but haven't started yet, is Balkans by Misha Glenny and Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West. Hope that helps....

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:22:33 AM »

See this post from a while back. I found this book to be excellent.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,3120.msg38395.html#msg38395

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »

Thanks for the book recommendations.  I've added them to my wish list to remember.  Smiley  I'll probably start reading one of them soon. 
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »

3 Years back I was in the same boat as you were when I wanted to learn about Eastern Europe. They are a complex web of national states unware of a Democratic process with outright disdain for their neighboring states. However after reading Why angels fall by Victoria Clark the book just gave me a total upside down view of morality and the conditions to live within their society or in other words a respect for a backwardness that we westerners simply wont ever understand. The book discusses Eastern Europe as a Church life with their preeminence to the culture. Their's an expression in the book called pucas visoko that's Serbian meaning were "shooting too high" when we want to respect their culture but in return won't be received positively when they wont respond back. Much of the author leads into the discussion that the Church Life of the 12th century is simply not being lived up to. The author goes on a tangent about the Kosovo massacres leading the reader (me) kinda depressed that Yugoslavian Christians are savages. But on the other hand she discusses Orthodoxy in light of recovering their past prior to Nationalism. I thought the book was fine but not great.
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 12:41:31 AM »

I'm getting Fracture Zone in the mail.  I got a really good deal online (less than $1  Grin)
Symeon
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »

I highly recommend Diana Johnstone's Fool's Crusade. There is far too much propaganda on the subject and this book is a good corrective. It covers all the bases (from a Serb POV) and isn't too long, either.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: