OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Vista and XP  (Read 2871 times) Average Rating: 0
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« on: July 01, 2007, 07:24:26 PM »

Hello all,

I received a new laptop a few days ago.  I'm sorry, I'm not too good with technology, so if I misuse terms forgive me.  My new laptop runs on windows Vista (I'm not really sure what that means) and not XP (my friend pointed this out yesterday).  I've encountered two problems:
Problem 1: Trying to transfer old Word documents from my old compter hasn't worked.  I'm not sure why, but my laptop fails to open the document up "cleanly" (there is a bunch of computer "jargon" all over the document).  I suppose my computer is loaded up with Windows 2007.
Problem 2: When using Chinese characters in e-mails, 5 out 6 people (all have Chinese loaded up on there computers) were unable to read the characters (receiving just boxes).  Strange thing is, when we use msn instant message they can read my Chinese characters.  In all cases, I can read their Chinese characters.  Perhaps someone could look under my photo of the beloved Chinese singer Deng LiJun (Teresa Teng) and tell me if they can read the characters (granted that the person has Chinese load up onto their computer).
If anyone can inform me of what I can do to solve these problems, I'll be more than thankful.  Both aren't problems that need to be modified by tomorrow, but when school starts (at the end of August) I need the ability to e-mail my Word documents to myself so I can print them off another computer (since my laptop isn't connected to a printer).
Thanks in advance to all that can help.

Shawn

p.s.  If anyone has any information on how to help, please use simple but detailed steps.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:26:55 PM by coptic orthodox boy » Logged
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 07:44:53 PM »

Dear Coptic Orthodox Boy,

You may have a few issues that may not have been addressed in your post. In order to answer your questions, a little more information is needed.

1. Which version of Microsoft Word was the documents originally and are you sure you Word in the new laptop or is it Microsoft Works? If it is Microsoft Works you have a problem, because most of the new computers do not have the necessary filter for importing Word documents.

2. Have you installed the Chinese and other fonts or are you relying on the computer to have this already? You may have to reload your fonts.

Any clarification might help get this issue resolved.

Friar Tuck
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:45:24 PM by Friar Tuck » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »

1. Which version of Microsoft Word was the documents originally ... ?
This you can see just by looking at the file extension for the old Word documents.  Microsoft Office Word 2007 saves files with the *.docx extension by default, while earlier versions of Word save files with the *.doc extension.  If the file has a *.docx extension, it could have been created only in Word 2007.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 09:32:02 PM »

Friar Tuck

Haha, I was afraid of this.  Technology and Christology...I'll never grasp it Wink

As PetertheAleut stated that older versions have .doc at the end, I think that is what it had (I'll have to recheck.  The old documents are on my parents computer, and I'll check tomorrow). 

Concerning the Chinese, I'm not sure if it was loaded on originally or not (it is a dell).  Actually, when I received the laptop I gave it over to my friend (haha, what a great learning experience eh?) to load it up.  However, yesterday I was at my other friend's house and him and his girlfriend were messing around with the control panel so maybe they did something to load up the Chinese.  But...I could read and write Chinese before that.   

Perhaps you could send me your e-mail (via PM, don't worry my laptop is void of viruses, and I have no idea how to make one anyways) and I could send you a "sample" document and you could try to figure it out?  That is, if you are willing.

If not, I might take it up to my university and get some computer wiz to help me out.

Thanks

Shawn
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:33:26 PM by coptic orthodox boy » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:34:15 PM »

Fwiw, if the documents aren't too sophisticated (e.g., quotes and bold and color changes galore), you could always copy and paste the info from the documents to the blog or something, and then copy and paste them into a new document. (This is supposing that your old computer is still up and able to connect to the net, I guess).
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »

Asteriktos

Thank you for the suggestion.  Though that is a temporary fix, I think it would be best to get to the root of the problem and correct it. 

Shawn
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 03:05:38 AM »

As PetertheAleut stated that older versions have .doc at the end, I think that is what it had (I'll have to recheck.  The old documents are on my parents computer, and I'll check tomorrow).
If your document files do have .doc at the end, Word 2007 should read them without any issues, so maybe your problem is related to something else, such as having MS Works instead of MS Office 2007 installed on your laptop.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 05:35:08 AM »

Don't ask me. I was turning my laptop upside-down and shaking it to reboot for three months before I realised it wasn't an Etch-a-Sketch.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »

George

A number of years ago, a friend of mine had a good laugh when he asked me to successfully turn on his computer.  It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to turn that evil machine on.  I've come a long way since then...but...I'm certainly no genius with modern technology.

Shawn
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 02:26:22 PM »

Coptic Orth Boy--

Since you're new to laptops and all, here's a tip that has helped me: after I used a laptop for a few months it always seems to get heavier and heavier the more I use it.

So, I have learned to delete files from my laptop regularly to make sure it doesn't get too heavy! I make it a point to delete the unneeded and heavy files the same day I go to the garage to change the air in my tires from summer air to winter air, and of course vice-versa about 6 months later.

There's a garage down the street that'll only charge me $2.99 a pound to change the air! I hate to take advantage of them, but back North the air changes would cost twice as much. They're such suckers here in 'Bama!

Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 06:07:21 PM »

The first part of the mystery has been solved regarding the documents, and I will let Shawn reveal it if he so desires.

The other part remaining is the Chinese fonts and if they have been installed.

Friar Tuck
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:08:03 PM by Friar Tuck » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 11:01:49 PM »

1)  Open your Control Panel

2)  Click the "Clock, Language and Regional"

3)  Under the Regional and Language Options, select Change keyboards or other input methods.

4)  Click the Change keyboards button:

5)  Click the Add button.

6)  Scroll down to the Chinese part (PRC I am assuming), expand it and choose the keyboard you want to use (usually the 'Microsoft Pinyin IME')

7)  Click OK

8)  Click OK

In XP you have to activate East Asian Languages, but in Vista you just have to add them.  Hope that helps, if not, just let me know.  Good luck.   :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:02:20 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

Macs are like Orthodoxy.... They just work flawlessly.

Windows is like Protestantism.... Plagued with viruses, malware and other issues.... Each new "version" they say they have "solved" the problem but only for it to come back.....
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 11:53:07 AM »

So 'UNIX for Dummies and those who like Shiny Objects' is like Orthodoxy? Wink
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:54:28 AM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »

depends.... there are few of us in Orthodoxy that just want the "facts" without the 5hr long lecture..... I know there are a lot of Orthodox that like Schmemann..... I have tried to read some of his books  and got the deep desire to hang myself....

Wouldn't Icons count as shiny objects??? Wink
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:21:57 PM by Orthodox Swamp Thing » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »

So 'UNIX for Dummies and those who like Shiny Objects' is like Orthodoxy? Wink
What's wrong with shiny objects? Grin

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: