OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 04:39:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two lines for communion-people line up for their favorite priest  (Read 364 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: Today at 12:16:16 AM »

This has happened before, but today it was especially noteworthy.  Our parish is a moderately sized one, maybe having 300 people or so, but maybe only 50-75 on a typical Sunday.  We have only one priest assigned to our parish, but we have a second priest who is retired western-rite priest who con celebrates pretty much every week when he's not asked to fill in somewhere else.  So, the parish priest serves on the left side (Theotokos side) and the retired WR priest serves on the right.  Typically, more people sit on the left hand side than the right as was the case today.  The line on the right side was half that of the left side.  The ushers were trying to get some of the people on the left to go to the right so that things could be speeded up, but those people  refused.  To me, what difference does it make from which priest you receive the Precious Body and Blood of our Lord?  The answer should be none. Is this not a form of profaning the mysteries? Yet, too many people in our parish seem to think it makes a difference from whom they receive rather than what they are receiving.This same phenomenon even happened when we had a deacon here years back who would also distribute.  I want to bring this up with the priest, but I'm not sure how to broach it. I'm sure many here will tell me to ignore this, but this has to stop.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:24:35 AM »

I've ignored usher's direction to go to another priest for communion.  I don't see it as "profaning the mysteries."

Besides, I try to receive communion from a Hierarch, if present.  Helps me address my social anxiety.   angel
Minnesotan

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Interested in becoming Antiochian

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:31:11 AM »

Maybe the ushers should randomly hand out slips of paper with "1" and "2" on them.

Or they could put up big signs saying "A-L" and "M-Z" on either side.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:31:24 AM »

I have specifically chosen before to go to a priest on one side instead of a deacon on the other, but that was more because I was making my presence that day known to the priest (it had been a while since I'd seen him and planned to talk to him afterward).

If intentionally refusing to receive communion from one priest over the other is actually parish-wide, then I agree it's an issue, but I'm not sure how big of one.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:31:50 AM by Nephi » Logged
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:31:59 AM »

WR priest, what is this~thought its catholic?! dnt understand must look up if not too complicated explain, or a link.
thnx
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:34:55 AM »

WR priest, what is this~thought its catholic?! dnt understand must look up if not too complicated explain, or a link.
thnx

ROCOR and Antiochians have Western Rite parishes/priests (I believe some OO Churches do as well, even if not in the U.S.). They are not Catholic, although some are former-Catholics, others are former-Anglicans, etc.

Here are a few links:
http://www.antiochian.org/node/22395
http://www.rwrv.org/what_is_the_western_rite.html
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Western_Rite
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:38:54 AM »

thnx

just looked it up on wiki, i think i understand. there is no greek WR curch is there?

And ti get back OT: i try not to be choosy, its the same in either chalis. but i do veer towards the priest i like more, without making a spectical of myself. if the usher says right side, id prob go.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:40:25 AM »

thnx

ROCOR and Antiochians have Western Rite parishes/priests (I believe some OO Churches do as well, even if not in the U.S.). They are not Catholic, although some are former-Catholics, others are former-Anglicans, etc.

Here are a few links:
http://www.antiochian.org/node/22395
http://www.rwrv.org/what_is_the_western_rite.html
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Western_Rite

TNX!
thats why i never realy knew abt them, appears there is not WR in "greek" Orthodox. Dang greeks...so very xenophobic.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:26:46 AM »

Possibly, they just go to the priest who knows their name.  I know I am likely to pick a priest simply because he will know my name over one who is a stranger.

Is it also possible that the WR priest has some idiosyncrasy in distributing communion that the Greeks wouldn't be comfortable with?  When a priest does something slightly different in that process, it can throw people off and make them nervous.

I wouldn't assume it is xenophobia until presented with definitive evidence.  There are innocent reasons that could account for why this happens.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:32:45 AM »

Possibly, they just go to the priest who knows their name.  I know I am likely to pick a priest simply because he will know my name over one who is a stranger.

Is it also possible that the WR priest has some idiosyncrasy in distributing communion that the Greeks wouldn't be comfortable with?  When a priest does something slightly different in that process, it can throw people off and make them nervous.

I wouldn't assume it is xenophobia until presented with definitive evidence.  There are innocent reasons that could account for why this happens.

The one deacon I mentioned I prefer not to commune with (although, apart from my earlier post, I've never gone out of my way to avoid his line) as he always awkwardly asks me if I'm Orthodox, despite having seen me there numerous times and having communed me directly at least twice. Either of the other two priests there I'm fine with as they both know me much more personally.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:01:43 AM »

This has happened before, but today it was especially noteworthy.  Our parish is a moderately sized one, maybe having 300 people or so, but maybe only 50-75 on a typical Sunday.  We have only one priest assigned to our parish, but we have a second priest who is retired western-rite priest who con celebrates pretty much every week when he's not asked to fill in somewhere else.  So, the parish priest serves on the left side (Theotokos side) and the retired WR priest serves on the right.  Typically, more people sit on the left hand side than the right as was the case today.  The line on the right side was half that of the left side.  The ushers were trying to get some of the people on the left to go to the right so that things could be speeded up, but those people  refused.  To me, what difference does it make from which priest you receive the Precious Body and Blood of our Lord?  The answer should be none. Is this not a form of profaning the mysteries? Yet, too many people in our parish seem to think it makes a difference from whom they receive rather than what they are receiving.This same phenomenon even happened when we had a deacon here years back who would also distribute.  I want to bring this up with the priest, but I'm not sure how to broach it. I'm sure many here will tell me to ignore this, but this has to stop.

Our former Presiding Priest would rotate sides where he and our Liturgical Assistant Priest stood when distributing Holy Communion to avoid the faithful being accustomed to receipt of Holy Communion from the same Priest each week.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:08:43 AM »

Some people go up for blessings, and so need to be in a priest's line (and not a deacon's).

The thought always crosses my mind to switch over when my usual priest isn't on my side (he usually is). However, it's pretty clear that any priest (or deacon) can administer the sacrament, so to show preference would be a problem.

Nephi, I'm sorry to hear that the deacon isn't aware of your status in the church. Fortunately, I have not had this problem. Everybody knows I am a communicant, they just don't know my name.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:00:08 AM »

Our former Presiding Priest would rotate sides where he and our Liturgical Assistant Priest stood when distributing Holy Communion to avoid the faithful being accustomed to receipt of Holy Communion from the same Priest each week.

My brother does the same thing with our Deacon each week they switch "sides."And some people will just do whatever they want anyway...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:07:16 AM »

When we have a second priest who visits, I just go where the ushers tell me to go. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:12:27 AM »

When we have a second priest who visits, I just go where the ushers tell me to go. Smiley

In the Slavic tradition if there even is an usher, if he says go this way, most will instinctively go that way. Cheesy
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:46:16 AM »

Please understand, I don't mean to preach in this post, I'm no better than anyone on this forum. But I am surprised that so many have an opinion to not receive Holy Communion from a particular priest or deacon. We believe Holy Communion to be the essence of "the very Body and Blood of our Lord." That's what we're receiving. Which ever priest serves us, is no endorsement of his ministry or persona. It makes no difference who serves Communion to us. I somewhat understand the issue, when a hierarch serves, I prefer to go to him. I would only suggest we rethink our intention when we chose to avoid a particular priest.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:27:41 PM »

Please understand, I don't mean to preach in this post, I'm no better than anyone on this forum. But I am surprised that so many have an opinion to not receive Holy Communion from a particular priest or deacon. We believe Holy Communion to be the essence of "the very Body and Blood of our Lord." That's what we're receiving. Which ever priest serves us, is no endorsement of his ministry or persona. It makes no difference who serves Communion to us. I somewhat understand the issue, when a hierarch serves, I prefer to go to him. I would only suggest we rethink our intention when we chose to avoid a particular priest.

Well said and something which needed to be expressed.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:30:41 PM »

I have been using the Deacon's line recently....

except for the last two weeks, there is a newly recalcitrant two year old....so its slower and slower as they try in vain to get her to turn her head and partake.

laugh laugh laugh

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #18 on: Today at 12:34:38 PM »

except for the last two weeks, there is a newly recalcitrant two year old....so its slower and slower as they try in vain to get her to turn her head and partake.

laugh laugh laugh

When I see children wiggle and frown as they are being brought forward in the Communion line, I sort of mentally root for them to be able to calm down and receive. "You can do it!" It is very rare for a child to wind up in such cranky distress that Father is unable to commune them.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #19 on: Today at 12:41:34 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

When I see children wiggle and frown as they are being brought forward in the Communion line, I sort of mentally root for them to be able to calm down and receive. "You can do it!" It is very rare for a child to wind up in such cranky distress that Father is unable to commune them.

She isn't even fussing...just silently -determined- not to.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:55:46 PM »

It is not an idiosyncrasy.  I have received communion from both Priests in question.  One was the first canonical Orthodox Priest (WR) I'd ever met and the other was the first Priest (Antiochian) I served in the altar under, as a child.  I have served frequently with the WR Priest as he usually fills in for our Priest when he is out of town.

It shouldn't be xenophobia as both are same ethnicity.

I have my less than innocent suspicions as to why (and it ticks me off) but will keep my mouth shut.  Both are outstanding men.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #21 on: Today at 02:25:13 PM »

I heard a Greek Priest during a Bible study say that the Greeks do not consider the WR to be valid. We were discussing the Divine Liturgy as instituted by Christ. That the WR make the Sign of the Cross backwards and without the proper fingering upset him. He actually told us not to attend WR Masses.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #22 on: Today at 03:12:14 PM »

At the Church I used to attend there was one Priest who was very casual and chatty while giving communion. I would avoid him.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:25:41 PM »

I heard a Greek Priest during a Bible study say that the Greeks do not consider the WR to be valid. We were discussing the Divine Liturgy as instituted by Christ. That the WR make the Sign of the Cross backwards and without the proper fingering upset him. He actually told us not to attend WR Masses.
I hope you're not suggesting that the priest in question was right. The author of this book makes it clear that the sign of the cross has undergone a whole series of changes over the centuries in both East and West. There may be other arguments against WR, but this is a very weak one.

But back to the original question: why not have just one line and direct people to the next available bishop/priest/deacon? Luck of the draw. No reason to complain. It seems rather sad that a communicant would focus on the celebrant instead of on the sacrament.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #24 on: Today at 03:34:26 PM »

I hope you're not suggesting that the priest in question was right. The author of this book makes it clear that the sign of the cross has undergone a whole series of changes over the centuries in both East and West. There may be other arguments against WR, but this is a very weak one.

But back to the original question: why not have just one line and direct people to the next available bishop/priest/deacon? Luck of the draw. No reason to complain. It seems rather sad that a communicant would focus on the celebrant instead of on the sacrament.

Just quoting what the priest said without any comment.  Roll Eyes

I agree with your comments.

The difference might be the way people line up to receive Holy Communion.

In the OCA, people usually process up the center aisle in one line and then are told by the subdeacon or understand that they go to the next waiting clergy distributing communion (either hierarch, priest or deacon).

In the Antiochian parishes and Greek ones, people usually process up the side aisles, so there are two lines, and people will stack up on one side of the church to receive communion from their favorite cleric.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:35:59 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:38:20 PM »

Do you know for sure that the people wouldn't switch sides and receive from the other priest because they thought it did in fact make a difference from whom they received?  If so, that's stupid, and I think you should mention it to your pastor.  But be sure that this is the reason, and that there isn't some other legitimate reason.  

It really doesn't make a difference from whom one receives.  I don't even try to receive from the bishop if he is present: if I'm on his line and the priest next to him has less of a line, I'll switch lines happily.  If there is more than one person distributing Communion, it is not simply to make things more convenient for the congregation, but also for the clergy.  If people disregard that, all they have done is made life for the clergy just a bit more inconvenient because not only did Communion take more time, but so did the post-Communion cleansing of the multiple vessels which were used precisely to save time.  

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #26 on: Today at 04:34:51 PM »

I have my less than innocent suspicions as to why (and it ticks me off) but will keep my mouth shut.  Both are outstanding men.

They are which cuts to the heart of the issue.  I'm sure your suspicions are the same as mine.

As for the issue brought up when a priest does not know your name, I would simply tell him.  My chrismated name is not the same as my given name. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: