OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Sin?  (Read 147 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Skydive
Warned
Elder

« on: Yesterday at 03:18:03 PM »

What is sin? Why is Sin a "no-no" ?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:21:09 PM »

Self-alienation from God.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:24:30 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Skydive
Warned
Elder

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:43:06 PM »

how does that happen?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Georgii

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:12:26 PM »

how does that happen?

We take the easier and/or more immediately attractive way.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:16:51 PM »

Sin is missing the mark (the bullseye) or a lack of perfection.

We are to be perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:21:40 PM »

Is self-destruction a good thing?  If not, I don't see why this is even a question. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:28:34 PM »

how does that happen?
by skydiving

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:16:06 PM »

Stuff that moves you away from God (disobedience) ...
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

And primitivist Platonist patrologist poseur

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:13:27 PM »

A few thoughts. Sin is error, altho the later understanding of the word is as guilty error. Limited by his mortal nature, man does not know what is good for him and what is not good. Infected by demons, what he does know is good for him he does not do. Sin is also the whole system of error in which mankind toils, a slave to it, although this is also often called just the world. The Church makes an extraordinary claim, to be able to heal man of sin and to guide him in this world of sin. This is a verifiable claim, to use the modernist terminology, and thus daring as well as extraordinary ...

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Skydive
Warned
Elder

« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:52:38 AM »

You'll have to define what is Sin, why is Sin and how is Sin. If you know of course Smiley..

Robert Green Ingersoll
Skydive
Warned
Elder

« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:53:57 AM »

Sin is missing the mark (the bullseye) or a lack of perfection.

We are to be perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect.

I don't play darts. Smiley

Robert Green Ingersoll
Skydive
Warned
Elder

« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:55:16 AM »

Didn't God skydive into the Incarnation?

Robert Green Ingersoll
Skydive
Warned
Elder

« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:59:36 AM »

Is self-destruction a good thing?  If not, I don't see why this is even a question. 

If don't see why anyone wouldn't see why this is not a serious and vital question to the theological approach.

One of us is blind. Smiley Last time I checked...

Robert Green Ingersoll
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: Today at 09:59:46 AM »

I've been told that every time you sin, if you don't repent and confess, you weaken your soul a little bit. It doesn't take much for what started as one error to develop into a massive bad habit.

There was this time I had an argument with my mother. The first day, I thought I was right. I showed her!  Sad The second day, I felt physically ill. I called her and told her I was sorry.

Exodus 20:12 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

12 Honour thy father and thy mother, that thou mayest be longlived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give thee.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+20%3A12&version=DRA

If I hadn't done that, who knows how long the problem would have festered? There are families that separate over little things.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: Today at 10:02:03 AM »

He certainly didn't sin Himself into it.  Roll Eyes
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:05:39 AM »

To sin is to accept self-destruction and death just because there's no God "bossing" you around there.

When we indulge in destructive habits we are sinning.

When we learn to feel truly, really happy from destructive habits that is sin.

When we harden our hearts and decide that we *will* be happy with the habits and life that we chose regardless if that is real or not, that is damnation.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:06:54 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #16 on: Today at 10:21:33 AM »

You'll have to define what is Sin, why is Sin and how is Sin. If you know of course Smiley..

In order to answer your question in the way you request the answer to be defined, then you will have to look at the Law of Moses.  The law was given in order to show the children of Israel what sin is - and it brought death.  

But it's much much more than a guidebook of right and wrong - much much more than a penal code.  It's much more than breaking the law.

Lawlessness is sin.  

but so is Faithlessness (Romans 14:23) as faithlessness - is also DEATH.  Living without faith in God is sure death.

If you don't have love then you have nothing - no life in you.  (1 Corinthians 13) If you have no life, then you have death - refusing to love - is sin.

You cannot have life apart from God - who is life and who has life in and of Himself.  Apart from God, you are dead.  You receive this life through Christ, our Lord - without Christ, you are dead.  

The wages - the payment or consequence of sin is death.  (Romans 6:23)

He gave birth to a new being when we died and were born again in Him.  He filled us with His Holy Spirit that we might know what sin is - from our conscience that tells us and rightfully so, when we decide to be the god we serve or when He actually is.   When we are self serving, we don't love, when we don't love, do not have God as He IS love (1 John 4:eight (silly smiley faces!) ) - if we do  not have God, we do not have LIFE and we are DEAD.

He writes His Law on our hearts, He has given us His Holy Church to guide us, He has given us the Clergy, the Traditions, the Bible, the Divine Liturgy, The Sacraments, The Feasts, The Fasts - all to help us because He loves us so very very much.  

But most of all, He gave His only Begotten Son that who so ever believes in Him will not perish (DEATH) and will receive eternal life (LIFE).  (John 3:16)

So that we might be forgiven and be reconciled to him when we do decide to taste death. . .walk as a living dead, as it were.

Sin is turning away from God (the only source of TRUE LIFE) in ANY capacity.  Sin is choosing to die spiritually and using the worship of ourselves and the world as the excuse to do so.

« Last Edit: Today at 10:34:12 AM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:28:11 AM »

PS - one more thought to complete.  

Those that have not been reborn in Christ Jesus are ALREADY DEAD. . .so their sin is of no avail until they become living beings.  There is no loss as you can't kill what's already dead.  

They are already on the path of destruction - but even worse, they do not have the Holy Spirit of TRUTH to guide them to actions fill them with LIFE.  

So - it can be said that once saved always saved is a trip up to those of us who are born anew. . . as just as sin kills us, so does piety bring us into His presence and Life.  It is as much a sin to not LIVE and LIVE FULLY in Him.  
« Last Edit: Today at 10:32:31 AM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: Today at 11:12:42 AM »

I think there's an "Undo Sin" button in Gmail -- but it works only 20 seconds after you sin.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:13:00 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #19 on: Today at 11:18:33 AM »

No you misunderstood. Some words have more than one meaning. Sometimes it could mean Shiny or Geh, maybe...I'm not all too sure.

But if you're sincere, go visit a priest.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: