OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:55:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the value of truth?  (Read 95 times) Average Rating: 0
Rhinosaur and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« on: Yesterday at 12:56:55 PM »

What is the value of truth? What is the value of telling the truth, of being sincere?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:14:44 PM »

Sincerity and truth are not related.

If I believe the Earth is flat, I can defend it with all sincerity and authenticity. And it is still not true.

Also, one can be false and evil only telling truths ("How am I then a villain to counsel Cassio to this parallel course, directly to his good?")

Truth is reality. We live in truth. The obligation to say the truth is not related to moralistic demands but to be able to stand in soul and action in relation to things that are real and not illusion. We have to tell the truth to ourselves, about ourselves and the world. That is character and the beginning of the purification of the nous.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
NanaDeborah

Faith: Former Charismatic
Jurisdiction: Attending an Antiochan church

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:10:17 PM »

I hear this from my son in law the other day and thought it was worth considering.  God does not lie, and we are created in his image, therefore to become more like him, we also tell the truth.  Not doing so is acting contrary to who we are created to be.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:45:20 PM »

What is the value of truth? What is the value of telling the truth, of being sincere?
It is not of much value when somebody will allow men to twist, distort, and bend the truth's (I am the truth) words - and pass it off as actual truth.

Raw - REAL - truth is often hard to accept, so people do not often place much value in it.   

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:06:58 PM »

Sincerity and truth are not related.

If I believe the Earth is flat, I can defend it with all sincerity and authenticity. And it is still not true.

Also, one can be false and evil only telling truths ("How am I then a villain to counsel Cassio to this parallel course, directly to his good?")

Truth is reality. We live in truth. The obligation to say the truth is not related to moralistic demands but to be able to stand in soul and action in relation to things that are real and not illusion. We have to tell the truth to ourselves, about ourselves and the world. That is character and the beginning of the purification of the nous.

Your example is good, but sincerity and truth are sometimes intertwined. Sincerely relating  the fact that an accident occurred one hour ago on the busy intersection of X and Y and recommending an alternative route that takes you 15 minutes out of your way, is a truth, but perhaps not at the moment it was spoken (it might or might not). Your Shakespeare quote, is not within my knowledge. It sounds like an incomplete truth from the perspective of the one saying it. I do not think I am required to know this quote.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:27:34 PM »

Now correcting on the basis of Fabio's post (which was worthwhile). The value of truth, if used sincerely, is that it is not a lie. Lies lead to distrust and disunity at best and destroys peoples lives (even for seemingly trivial lives ) at worst. Consistent truth builds trust and cohesion at its best and distress upon the person living the lie at its worse, although as instruction it is positive in intention. There may be exceptions if the misguided person is ill or mentally disabled in some way, such that delay may be in order, but even that may not require the necessity of a lie.

I am being simple minded here because I am.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:51:58 PM »

The unattainable, yet most desired, ideal. Nobody can tell you what truth is anyway. People agree on what it's meaning is, but nobody agrees on how that exactly applies in the real world. Yet, it probably has the most value of anything else in the whole magnitude of existence.

Philosophical mumbo jumbo.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:53:12 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: