OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:49:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Liturgy of St. James  (Read 5732 times) Average Rating: 0
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« on: June 28, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »

I have been studying liturgy,and how it has developed over the centuries,and I saw a mention of the Liturgy of St. James on another borad and I was wanting to know if someone here could tell me more in terms of how old it is,and which churches still use it.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »

The Liturgy of St. James is believed to be the original Liturgy of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The Greek Orthodox Church still uses the Liturgy of St. James. It has been used in unbroken tradition on the Island of Zakynthos on the feast of St. James and in the Patriarchate of Jerusalem on the Sunday after Christmas. This latter use of the Liturgy (Sunday after Christmas) has seen an increase in popularity in Greece in recent years.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:44:34 PM »

Cool thread. I was going to ask about this. I would say that this was a coincidence if I believed in them.

Does it predate the First Council?

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 10:21:44 PM »

Patron Saints Day for St. James in the EO calender is celebrated on October 23. The main liturgy is Saint John Chrysostom liturgy based on the so-called "shortened" 4-hour Saint Basil's Liturgy. Saint Basil had re-edited the Church of Antioch's version of Saint James Liturgy.

-Greek monastery in Harvard, ILL of the US frequently supplies it with Apostikarions, Horologion and Euchologion prior to the Liturgy which is an addition to the liturgy. 

-Russian monastery of Optina uses it. 

-Greek Orthodox of Jerusalem uses the Byzantine rite

-the Coptic Mission Churches in U.K. uses this liturgy because this was one of the very few liturgies practiced in the early church prior in England. Howver the mass was cut by 3/4ths of the worship including all of the anaphora's which has remnant's of it in the Anglican Hymnal.

Legitimately the Syriac Church of Antioch which is the Oriental Orthodox not in communion with EO have as its main liturgy. This is the only church that has an original text prior the Byzantinization. They have a Syriac influenced 61 anaphora addition. This is literally every saint that has participated in the liturgy including St. John Chrysostom, Saint Basil, St Gregory a few apostles including James himself and continues with modern (prior to 8th century including St. Severus of Antioch) Saints.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 03:37:28 PM »

The Coptic British Orthodox Church does use an adaptation of the Greek St. James (which differs from Syriac St. James), but it should be noted that the theory of its use early on in Britain is nothing more than speculation on their part. There is no evidence nor early tradition for the use of St. James in Britain or the West early on. Rather, the tradition refers to three other liturgical streams: that of St. Mark through Alexandria into Milan, that of St. Peter into Carthage and Rome, and that of St. John from Ephesus into Gaul, Britain and Spain.

The B.O.C. St. James is interesting as it is the Greek St. James (again, different than the Syriac St. James) but with Coptic hours of prayer, vestments, and calendar, but with feasts of Western saints added along with some Western hymns.

The St. James is also blessed for use by ROCOR parishes. There is also another translation of the St. James done at New Skete monastery (OCA).

It is a long liturgy, and communion is given after the canons for this liturgy - the Body is received in the hands, which are made into a throne.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 03:21:39 AM »

Here are a few articles authored by clergy of the British Orthodox Church which account for and discuss general historical and liturgical issues pertinent to the Liturgy of St James, as well as the particular adoption and utilisation of that Liturgical rite by the British Orthodox Church:

The Liturgy of St James by H.G. Metropolitan Seraphim
The Liturgy of St James by Fr. John Ross
The Liturgical Commission by Fr. Gregory Tillett
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 03:22:35 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 05:16:49 AM »

Just an FYI---In Reviewing the ROCOR website today, I noted that the Synod of Bishops just approved a translation of both the Liturgy of St James and St Mark in English.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:27:06 AM »

Is there a link to an approved translation?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 10:43:55 PM »

Is there a link to an approved translation?

Is this a good one?

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf07.xii.ii.html

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 11:02:39 PM »

The approved translation is to be published (at least, the Divine Liturgy of St. Mark) in the near future, with Fr. John R. Shaw as editor. Not sure about the St. James, for some reason I had thought it was already approved years ago - and a translation published. However, I'm not sure - I'm not an expert on the Byzantine rite by far.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 09:15:33 AM »

The Indian Orthodox Church uses the liturgy of St. James.

See: http://www.icon.org.in/church_liturgy.icon

Here's a paragraph from the site:

The liturgy we use is the Syriac version of the St James Liturgy, this liturgy Holy Tradition tells us, was first chanted by St James, Bishop of Jerusalem, on the Wednesday after Pentecost Sunday. St James said that the words of the Liturgy were recited to him by the risen Christ himself saying, "God lives I have not added anything to or omitted anything from what I have heard from the Lord"

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »

The Liturgy of St. James has also been occasionally served in OCA churches, like on the Feast of St.James, but  seemed to be more of a variation of the regular Divine Liturgy to the people.  Once while working in a prison I was surprised to walk in on the "Catholic" service and find a priest wearing Byzantine vestments serving the Liturgy of St.James to the convicts.  I got to know the chaplain and found out that he was a contract priest for the Catholics but claimed to be EO.  I later heard that he tried to join up with the local OCA parish but was rebuffed.  I did have a problem seeing this "priest" offering the Eucharist to any convict who approached knowing that they were not even Catholics.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 03:25:47 PM »

We did the Liturgy of St James every year on his feastday at Seminary, and there are a number of parishes that do it annually as well.  Holy Cross press had done a text for it, but it is sadly out of print at the moment.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 03:43:40 PM »

Perhaps this might help:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ephrem/lit-james.htm

Note: Page is dated and one must use "Up" link instead of 'Home' if needed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 03:45:33 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 12:28:23 AM »

Patron Saints Day for St. James in the EO calender is celebrated on October 23. The main liturgy is Saint John Chrysostom liturgy based on the so-called "shortened" 4-hour Saint Basil's Liturgy. Saint Basil had re-edited the Church of Antioch's version of Saint James Liturgy.

-Greek monastery in Harvard, ILL of the US frequently supplies it with Apostikarions, Horologion and Euchologion prior to the Liturgy which is an addition to the liturgy. 

-the Coptic Mission Churches in U.K. uses this liturgy because this was one of the very few liturgies practiced in the early church prior in England. Howver the mass was cut by 3/4ths of the worship including all of the anaphora's which has remnant's of it in the Anglican Hymnal.

Legitimately the Syriac Church of Antioch which is the Oriental Orthodox not in communion with EO have as its main liturgy. This is the only church that has an original text prior the Byzantinization. They have a Syriac influenced 61 anaphora addition. This is literally every saint that has participated in the liturgy including St. John Chrysostom, Saint Basil, St Gregory a few apostles including James himself and continues with modern (prior to 8th century including St. Severus of Antioch) Saints.

What do you mean by Byzantinization? I know in the 6th century Justinian added the Cherubic hymn to many of the liturgies. Later on their were minor modifications like adding the trinity at the end of the Lord's Prayer, but what were the major changes?

signature
buzuxi
Elder

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: WORLD ORTHODOXY AGAINST ECUMENISM

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »

Cool thread. I was going to ask about this. I would say that this was a coincidence if I believed in them.

Does it predate the First Council?

Historically as a whole it does not, although certain prayers within the text do. If the Liturgy of St. James preceded the council of Nicea there probably would of never been an Arian controversy to begin with, since the Nicene/Constantinopolitan understading of the Trinity is already spelled out in the Liturgy of St James. On the other hand it does precede Chalcedon and Ephesus, of course after these councils the liturgy evolved and certain teachings dogmatized in those councils were inserted into the appropriate parts of the text.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:25:38 PM by buzuxi » Logged
DanM

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »

Historically as a whole it does not, although certain prayers within the text do [predate the First Council].

I am particularly fond of this liturgy because of its reference to "those who pass their lives . . . in holy wedlock."
A pity a line like this cannot appear in the usual liturgies.
DanM
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 07:25:49 AM »

Pictures from this year:
http://www.cerkiew.pl/index.php?id=33&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=19943&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&tx_ttnews[nphoto]=1&cHash=f42756a2e19d46983db8e2132316fd41

http://orthodox.bialystok.pl/pl/cms/album/index/id/3184

edit:

and a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A-Pa2Rcvho
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:03:10 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »

Pictures from this year:
http://www.cerkiew.pl/index.php?id=33&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=19943&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&tx_ttnews[nphoto]=1&cHash=f42756a2e19d46983db8e2132316fd41

I was there but I managed to hide myself Wink

I'm so glad that this year I was able to attend this Liturgy - although I'm so interested in such liturgics and I consider myself as a traditionalist (at least in regard to Liturgy and chanting), I've been just the 2nd time on the Liturgy of st. James. It's a deep spiritual experience, that enable us to discover the Holy Eucharist, the use of scriptures and some liturgical phrases in a new way...

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 01:37:48 AM »

What do you mean by Byzantinization? I know in the 6th century Justinian added the Cherubic hymn to many of the liturgies. Later on their were minor modifications like adding the trinity at the end of the Lord's Prayer, but what were the major changes?

The Cherubic Hymn from the Liturgy of St. James is used in the Byzantine Rite in place of the regular Cherubic Hymn during the Divine Liturgy on Holy Saturday morning. "Let all mortal flesh keep silence..."

Fr. John W. Morris
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Kingdom of Heaven

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 02:47:35 AM »

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but does anyone know where I can listen to the Liturgy of St James online, in full? Preferably in English but it's not necessary.

Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »

http://youtu.be/UdI58Sv4fGY
http://youtu.be/HUKXUtA5_rk
http://youtu.be/ZOBzve9XHas

A few results from Youtube.

JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 03:34:17 AM »

Cheers, for some reason my searches only churned out 5 minute snippets. But I guess as I was searching in English I wouldn't have known what these were. Thanks again!

Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 03:44:21 AM »

You're welcome. Smiley

I'm sure there are even more results from the Syriac Orthodox Church, since they use it far more frequently than EO churches do.

JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 05:29:15 AM »

You're welcome. Smiley

I'm sure there are even more results from the Syriac Orthodox Church, since they use it far more frequently than EO churches do.

Due to missionary efforts from churches within the Alexandrian patriarchy, I may be using the Liturgy of St James upon conversion to Orthodoxy. Smiley

Lord Deliver Us.

frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »

The Liturgy of St. James has also been occasionally served in OCA churches, like on the Feast of St.James, but  seemed to be more of a variation of the regular Divine Liturgy to the people.  Once while working in a prison I was surprised to walk in on the "Catholic" service and find a priest wearing Byzantine vestments serving the Liturgy of St.James to the convicts.  I got to know the chaplain and found out that he was a contract priest for the Catholics but claimed to be EO.  I later heard that he tried to join up with the local OCA parish but was rebuffed.  I did have a problem seeing this "priest" offering the Eucharist to any convict who approached knowing that they were not even Catholics.

When I did prison ministry at a federal prison, I was told that if I served a Divine Liturgy, I had to give Communion to anyone who approach the Chalice and could not refuse anyone. I decided it was best not to try to serve a Divine Liturgy. However, the prison chaplain was forced to back down because of help from the local Catholic Bishop and the Orthodox Prison Ministries. However, since none of the men wanted to go to Confession, I did not serve a Liturgy there. Instead, I did Vespers. Fr. Benedict Crawford, an OCA Priest chanted. After a riot, the prison was shut down and we could not do anything there. When it was time to begin again, I could not because I had knee surgery. We then found a ROCOR Priest with prison experience who was closer and he took over the Orthodox ministry at the prison. Thus, we had pan-Orthodox cooperation there.

Fr. John W. Morris.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:16:57 PM by frjohnmorris » Logged
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »

We did the Liturgy of St James every year on his feastday at Seminary, and there are a number of parishes that do it annually as well.  Holy Cross press had done a text for it, but it is sadly out of print at the moment.

In theory the Liturgy of St. James can be offered in any Eastern Orthodox Church on the Feast of St. James, and the Sunday After Christmas. I have never tried it because it would be to confusing for the people of my parish.

Fr. John W. Morris.

Tags: ancient liturgies St. James Liturgy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: