OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:17:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wisdom of the Oriental Orthodox Fathers  (Read 64263 times) Average Rating: 5
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »

Tamav Irini (+2006):

Whosoever toils with joy and gratitude, and without grumbling, receives great consolation from God in their work, and is blessed to a degree beyond that requested or hoped of Him.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2009, 11:07:35 PM »

Pope St Kyrillos VI of Alexandria:

"When I was young I prayed for wisdom and love; but growing up, I learned to pray for the Wisdom of Jesus our Lord and the Love of the Crucified Jesus, our King and Saviour".

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Hiywot

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2010, 11:11:53 AM »

Christ is my God and my hope.
His cross is the rod of my faith.
His pierced side is the flood of my baptism.
The blood of His flagellation is the oil of my anointment.
His apostles are the guide of my way.
My lady Mariam is the door of my salvation.

Aba Giorgis of Gasicha, Ethiopia (14th C.) in his “Book of mystery”
Hiywot

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »

The devil brought death through Eve; God brought life through Virgin Mariam.
Because of a woman we were far from God; Because of a woman we are nearer to God.
Satan gave Adam and Hewan (Eve) hope of becoming Gods; St. Gabriel gave Mariam Hope of giving birth to God.
Seed from a wood brought us quarrel with God; Cross from a wood brought us forgiveness.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »

Hiywot,

Glory to God! Beautiful quotes above!  Is this book available in English?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hiywot

« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2010, 08:46:09 AM »

Hiywot,

Glory to God! Beautiful quotes above!  Is this book available in English?

Selam

No it is not. I just translated them as I read the Amharic version.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »

The devil brought death through Eve; God brought life through Virgin Mariam.
Because of a woman we were far from God; Because of a woman we are nearer to God.
Satan gave Adam and Hewan (Eve) hope of becoming Gods; St. Gabriel gave Mariam Hope of giving birth to God.
Seed from a wood brought us quarrel with God; Cross from a wood brought us forgiveness.

I love this. One of the earliest Patristic teachings on Mary actually. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »

St Philoxenus of Mabbug (6th Century):

"[The disciple of Christ] should know that, although he is human according to the flesh, he is chosen to work spiritual things, and that, by the grace of God, he has been held worthy of the life of heavenly things; and that, although he exists in the flesh in [this] world, he should walk in the path which is superior to his nature".

geovar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Indian Orthodox Church

« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »

Hishestsook :

Let us recall your name in the night, O Lord. [Ps 119:55]. •The good word will flow forth from our hearts, and our tongues will recount the works of you, the heavenly King. •Having arisen in the middle of the night, let us confess you Lord. •Let us offer our prayers to you, Lord, in your court, in th new Jerusalem. •In the night, let us lift up our hands in holiness to you, O Lord. [Lam 2:19] ʼWith a voice of thanksgiving let everyone bless the Lord!

Zarteek :

Arise, O my glory, arise! And I shall arise in the morning. Alleluia! •Arise with the vigilant angels, O children of the supernal Sion. Alleluia! •Arise, sons of light, in praise of the Father of light. Alleluia! [1Th 5:5] •Arise, all of you saved by the blood, and give glory to the Savior. Alleluia! •Arise, new people; sing a new song to Him who makes all things new. Alleluia! [Ps 96:1,] •Arise, brides in the Spirit, awaiting the coming of the holy Bridegroom. Alleluia! •Arise, you, who burn with light, like the wise holy virgins. Alleluia! •Arise and prepare oil for your lamps with warm tears. Alleluia! •Arise and sleep not, slumbering like the foolish virgins. Alleluia! •Arise, let us fall down and worship with tears, saying: Alleluia! •Arise, why do you sleep? Lord, do not forsake us. •Arise, Lord, and help us, and we shall give glory to your holy name. •Now and forever to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. Amen. •Having arisen from the occupation of nocturnal repose, may the loving Lord also grant us consolation in the solace of the Church. •In awe and reverence let us stand in prayer. •Let us confess our transgressions. •And we shall find expiation and great mercy from Christ. •Forever and ever. Amen. Alleluia. Alleluia. Alleluia.

St.  Nesess

The two sequential hymns, Hishestsook and Zartik, were both composed by St. Nersess Shnorhali (d. 1173) as a fitting inspiration for the monks to wake up in the middle of the night for worship.

http://www.stnersess.edu/classroom/sml/daily/nightservice/index.php?setid=9
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2010, 08:26:26 AM »

Hishestsook :

Let us recall your name in the night, O Lord. [Ps 119:55]. •The good word will flow forth from our hearts, and our tongues will recount the works of you, the heavenly King. •Having arisen in the middle of the night, let us confess you Lord. •Let us offer our prayers to you, Lord, in your court, in th new Jerusalem. •In the night, let us lift up our hands in holiness to you, O Lord. [Lam 2:19] ʼWith a voice of thanksgiving let everyone bless the Lord!

Zarteek :

Arise, O my glory, arise! And I shall arise in the morning. Alleluia! •Arise with the vigilant angels, O children of the supernal Sion. Alleluia! •Arise, sons of light, in praise of the Father of light. Alleluia! [1Th 5:5] •Arise, all of you saved by the blood, and give glory to the Savior. Alleluia! •Arise, new people; sing a new song to Him who makes all things new. Alleluia! [Ps 96:1,] •Arise, brides in the Spirit, awaiting the coming of the holy Bridegroom. Alleluia! •Arise, you, who burn with light, like the wise holy virgins. Alleluia! •Arise and prepare oil for your lamps with warm tears. Alleluia! •Arise and sleep not, slumbering like the foolish virgins. Alleluia! •Arise, let us fall down and worship with tears, saying: Alleluia! •Arise, why do you sleep? Lord, do not forsake us. •Arise, Lord, and help us, and we shall give glory to your holy name. •Now and forever to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. Amen. •Having arisen from the occupation of nocturnal repose, may the loving Lord also grant us consolation in the solace of the Church. •In awe and reverence let us stand in prayer. •Let us confess our transgressions. •And we shall find expiation and great mercy from Christ. •Forever and ever. Amen. Alleluia. Alleluia. Alleluia.

St.  Nesess

The two sequential hymns, Hishestsook and Zartik, were both composed by St. Nersess Shnorhali (d. 1173) as a fitting inspiration for the monks to wake up in the middle of the night for worship.

http://www.stnersess.edu/classroom/sml/daily/nightservice/index.php?setid=9

Nice waking-up psalms!  Cheesy

Hey, is the Orthodox Church of India canonically recognized by the See of Constantinople?

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2010, 11:30:21 AM »

Hey, is the Orthodox Church of India canonically recognized by the See of Constantinople?

We are talking about the Oriental (Non-Calcedonian) Orthodox Church of India; hence the question of being recognized by the Chalcedonian Byzantine Orthodox See of Constantinople does not arise.

If you are asking about the existence of Byzantine Orthodox Churches in India. It is almost nonexistent. There are three or four churches altogether in and around the city of Calcutta. They are all relatively recent missions, with recent converts, which I believe is under the Bishop of Hong Kong.

The Church in India with 1950 year history from the time of St. Thomas the Apostle is not in communion with Constantinople.  At various stages that Church has split and as it stands the Church established by St. Thomas exists in four different faith systems:

- Oriental Orthodox (2 jurisdictions: one that is autocephalous, another that is a autonomous jurisdiction under the Patriarch of Antioch) ,
- Church of the East (what some would refer to as Nestorian)
- Eastern Rites Roman Catholic ( 2 rites:  Syro Malabar that is a parallel to the Church of the East and  Syro Malankara  parallel to the Oriental Orthodox church)
- Anglican Communion (they call themselves Marthoma Church or the reformed Syriac Orthodox)

NULL
Hiywot

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »

More quotes from Aba Giorgis of Gasicha

Being named as Christian without faith in Christ is the same as naming a plant without seed, tree without leaf, river without water, cloud without rain, government without military, wall without roof, bride without ring, and altar without quorban.

A locked metal rod can be unlocked by a locksmith. Strong iron could melt in a furnace. But nobody can open the heart of the wicked with the words of scriptures and wisdom.

The father of Eve dwelt in the daughter of Eve. The father of Adam strived to be the second Adam. Behold, the grace of God was seen spreading from generation to generation.

Hiywot
Hiywot

« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »

“You are a King and not an Evangelist. You need religious guidance from us as we need a righteous rule from you.”

Our holy mother St. Fikerte-kristos and her company to King Susenios (16th C.), when he tried to force them convert into Roman Catholicism.

“Do not intimidate us. Behold fire and sword are in your hands. You can do whatever you will on us. We will never renounce our Tewahido religion.”

St. Fikerte-kristos (16th C.), as the same King threatened to kill them.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2010, 12:09:58 AM »

“You are a King and not an Evangelist. You need religious guidance from us as we need a righteous rule from you.”

Our holy mother St. Fikerte-kristos and her company to King Susenios (16th C.), when he tried to force them convert into Roman Catholicism.

“Do not intimidate us. Behold fire and sword are in your hands. You can do whatever you will on us. We will never renounce our Tewahido religion.”

St. Fikerte-kristos (16th C.), as the same King threatened to kill them.

AMEN!!!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »

Whenever the Divine Light shines within the heart of one man, Its radiation is inevitably reflected through him on to others. And just as a prism reflects the light in various hues, so does the human being reflect the Divine Light in many ways. Some see in him God's Grace; others His mercy; still others His Wondrous love. Fortunately, the reflection of the Divine Light through a sanctified person is not only shed on his contemporaries, but shines on successive generations long after the physical death of the man himself. That is why the people of this present age can still bask in the Light reflected through the saints of bygone days. And by this reflection, the whole of humanity is raised to higher levels.

Iris Habib el Masry (20th Century)
(An OO Church mother)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:36 PM »

The body was just as important as the mind in these observances, and not merely only what the eyes saw and what the ears heard. Seeing and hearing were in some sense fundamental, even when there was no conscious comprehension. Equally important, however, were the other senses: the scent of incense in the church services, the taste of the Eucharistic bread and wine, the smearing of the oil from the church lamp on your forehead, the kissing of the cross and making the sign of the cross, the myriad genuflections and prostrations, the tasting of the bitter vinegar on Good Friday, the holding of the palm leaf on Palm Sunday, the kiss of peace given and received during the liturgy by all in the special Indian Christian way (offering both your hands to your neighbor to interleaf with the two hands of the other, who does the same to his or her neighbor in turn), the gorgeous vestments of the bishops and priests, the peals of church bells and systrums, exercising one’s own vocal chords loudly and spirit-fully, if not quite harmonious singing of the hymns and chants, the white-clad deacons, the colorful decorations of the altar. All five senses of the body were to be involved in worship: sight and hearing, smell and touch and taste. The body must pray just as much as the soul and the spirit, with the hands and the feet, the tongue and the lips, the voice and the breathing, posture and movement.

That was the system in which we had been brought up. And I must affirm the basic validity of the system, though much in it could readily be improved upon. I have dwelt upon this point in my Joy of Freedom. Many of the attitudes and tastes that I have carried over from childhood to adulthood came from this system.

His Grace, the Late Metropolitan Paulose Mar Gregorious
20th Century

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »

Mary is also our model in that she was the first person to receive Jesus Christ. As Mary bore Christ in her womb physically, all Christians now have the privilege of bearing God within them spiritually. By God's grace and mercy we are purified and empowered to become like Him.

Source: The orthodox study Bible

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Hiywot

« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »

Quotes from Mar-Isaac (Mar-Yishaq)

A soul that loves God gets rest and happiness by God only. Make haste to untie all bindings that are external to you. When you do this you can tie your heart by the string of love of God. Renunciation of carnal deeds brings unity with God. [/color]
[Mar-Yishaq, Geez version, Art.1, Ch.1]

Mercy is not in charity only. It is in the burning of the heart for and in pitying the sorrow of a brother. It is in giving oneself the sake of a brother.
[Mar-Yishaq, Geez version, Art.1, Ch.2]

Read books always… so that you find comfort in your soul;
Love the virtue of poverty… so that your heart remains far from conceit;
Denunciate pleasure… so that your conscience is free from turbulence;
Flee from a multitude of people… so that you save your
soul from loosing internal peace;Love purity… so that you will not feel ashamed when you stand in front of Jesus Christ for prayer.
[Mar-Yishaq, Geez version, Art.1, Ch.3]

Hiywot
Hiywot

« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2010, 05:39:22 AM »

More quotes from the Ge’ez version of Mar-Yishaq

Gossip begets gossip and blessing begets blessing, therefore, bless others. Always bless with your tongue so that nobody will gossip about you. [1:7]

Refrain from minor sins so that you will not fall into the major ones. [1:4]

Who can possess meek thoughts… while in love of shining raiment?
Who can remain pure in thought… while in love of too much talking? [1:4]

Gossip begets gossip and blessing begets blessing, therefore, bless others. Always bless with your tongue so that nobody will gossip about you. [1:7]

If you achieve the state of appreciating and enjoying the sight of nature, know that this is the first step in the spiritual act of the mind. [1:8]

Refrain from reading the book of the heretics and never open its pages. You will lose your spiritual grace and glory. [1:9]

When you are liable to see mysteries and revelations you will be given the gift of tears and internal temptations will be quietened. [1:10]

Do not look for the gift that is not given to you so that you will not loose the one you already have. [1:11]

Fire can not burn a wet leaf.  Likewise, Godly mysteries can not dwell in pleasure loving heart. [1:11]

They are many who worked miracles and who saved others through their teachings but they themselves became sick in soul, fell into temptation, killed their souls and became stumble blocks for others. It is good to teach others… but it is much better that a person makes himself pure for God than teaching others. [1:5]

Hiywot
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »

Then He said the greatest thing when He made the statement, "Just as the living Father sent me, and I have life on account of the Father, so too whoever eats Me lives on account of Me." (John 6:57).  He did not need to say here, "whoever eats my body," because He already established that in the preceding statement.  He said first, "the living bread" (John 6:51), and informed us that that bread was truly His body.  Then, He said third, "whoever eats me" (John 6:57).  He means (here) that He is God incarnate, and His divinity is not differentiated from His humanity.  Whoever partakes (of the Eucharist) in a worthy manner and with faith, (God) resides in him and gives him the life that He gave to the body united to Him.

Bishop Bulus el Bushi (13th Century Coptic bishop)

quoted from Michael Christensen's Partaker of the Divine Nature, in the essay "The Copto-Arabic Tradition of Theosis" by Stephen Davis

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »

What the Christian tradition has taught me is not to ask for the cause of individual suffering, or to resolve philosophically the problem of unmerited suffering. My task is to use suffering that comes my way, for the exercise of self-discipline and compassion.  I do not know why we have to suffer, but I know that where there has been no suffering there is no development of character. I know that compassion is learned and taught by entering into the suffering of others and by letting others share one’s own suffering, to a certain extent. Suffering seems to be Love’s way, at least in this world.

Suffering does not open the door by itself. The key has to be turned; suffering has to be transmuted by love. Hate and despair can turn it into poison. I am grateful to God that however close I came to despair in my suffering -filled adolescence, I did not give up. My little faith helped me to cling on in hope.

Suffering is the key to the mystery of existence in this world. That is why God himself, supposedly free from all suffering, decided to come and partake of it Himself. Thereby lies the Grand Mystery. God suffers, in Christ, in us, even today.

His Eminence the Late Metropolitan Dr. Paulose Mar Gregorios
20th Century

Hiywot

« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2010, 06:53:44 AM »

Can I post this as a word of wisdom?

http://www.diretube.com/haile-selassie/speaking-in-his-garden-david-will-still-beat-goliath-video_9cd589a73.html

“David will still beat Goliath”

Hiywot
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »

Can I post this as a word of wisdom?

http://www.diretube.com/haile-selassie/speaking-in-his-garden-david-will-still-beat-goliath-video_9cd589a73.html

“David will still beat Goliath”

Hiywot

Just in case this link never works in the future:

It is good that you are here to record this picture of me in my palace garden at Addis Ababa.  People who see this throughout the world will realize that even in the 20th century, with faith, courage, and a just cause, David will still beat Goliath.

His Imperial Majesty, Haile Selassie, 20th Century

binoj

Faith: Oriental Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Malankara (Indian) Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:27 PM »

Dionysius Bar Salibi, Bishop of Syriac Orthodox Church in 12th century, clearly expounds Miaphysite Christology of Oriental Orthodox Churches in his Prayer during Fraction of Holy Mysteries in Divine Liturgy:

Thus truly the Word of God did suffer in flesh, and was sacrificed and broken on the Cross, and His soul separated from His Body, while His Godhead never separated neither from His Soul nor from His Body. And He was pieced in His side with a spear, and there flowed out of Him blood and water, the atonement of the whole world. And his Body was stained with them. And for the sin of the whole world, the Son died on the Cross, and His Soul came and united with His Body. And He turned us from the work of the left to that of the right. And by the Blood of His Person, He reconciled, united and combined the heavenly with the earthly, the people with the gentiles and the Soul with the Body. And on the third day, He rose from the tomb. One is Emmanuel, and cannot be divided into two natures after the indivisible unity. Thus we believe and thus we confess and thus we confirm that this Flesh is of this Blood and that this Blood is of this Flesh.
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »

"It is more worthwhile to focus on furthering the depth of our spirituality rather than expanding its breadth. Progressing spiritually is not necessarily about doing more. In some circumstances, spritual progress is better achieved simply by striving to do greater in the little you already do."

- Anonymous Coptic priest

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »

Christ is Risen!
selam everyone  Smiley
I am very thankful for this thread. Such a Jewell! Please my brothers and sisters continue sharing.

Evagrius Pnticius wrote “Apathy (acedia) seriously damages the soul. Indifference attacks us most strenuously during the middle of the day. A sense of dreariness makes us think that time is creeping by. Bored, we think a day lasts fifty hours. In torpor, we step outside and try to observe some movement of the sun. We begin to hate where we are, hate life itself, and hate manual labor. We think no one cares and no one care encourage us. The slightest offense becomes unbearable.
Indifference to your present circumstances leads you to look for other places where you can live more comfortably and be successful in business. Rationalizing, you believe that pleasing the Lord has nothing to do with this place. You are convinced God can be loved everywhere. This cruel demon leads you to think how this present dreariness will stretch into the distant future. It will stop at nothing in its effort to prompt you to forsake your cell and drop out the fight.
None of the other demons will press you as hard as this one, never giving up. The struggle against it will fill you with unfathomable peace and indescribable joy.’’

Blessed day Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »

The following passage is from Iris Habib Almisry's book "Story of the Copts" (pgs. 312-313). This passage recounts the life of St Dioscorus while in exile on the island of Gangra*:

One of [the visitors of Dioscorus while he was in exile] was a merchant from Egypt
who stopped by the island shores one day, and wept
bitterly at the sight of his exiled Patriarch. The man-of-
God comforted him by saying: “My son, as long as we
conserve intact the faith legated to us, we are safe despite
all physical woes”. The merchant offered him some
money saying: “Holy Father, accept this gift because you
are in a strange land”. Abba Dioscorus replied: “My son,
we are not in a strange land – God Who created the whole
world and Who has given us the courage to fight for the
true faith is able to make us feel that we are not str[a]ngers
in any land, for – as the Psalmist says – the earth is the
Lord’s and the fullness thereof”. The merchant’s heart
was comforted, but he so earnestly begged Abba
Dioscorus to accept his donation that he finally prevailed
on him. This money, the Man-of-God distributed among
the poor.63 Abba Dioscorus assented, adding that it also
symbolized the blessed Virgin Who bore Christ within her
womb, but was not scorched thereby.
324. Five years after this sentence of exile had been
pronounced, the maligned Head of the Church of
Alexandria joined the ranks of the Church Triumphant.
During his exile, he had succeeded in winning many pagan
residents of the island to the Christian faith, and a number
of heretics to Orthodoxy – thus serving his Lord even
unto the end.

Source: http://popekirillos.net/EN/books/Story_of_copts.pdf

*Ignore the numbers, they are citations.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:55:23 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2011, 01:44:52 AM »

The bread of the angels is Christ, He that has united himself with Love will always be fed Christ and he shall not die.For Glory be to Him Our Lord Jesus Christ has said he that eats from the bread he gives will live forever. John testifies that Christ the bread of life  that we eat is Love, saying God is Love. thus he that acquires and  remains in the Love of Christ The Life, will receive Life from God. because of this Love he shall receive glory  even before the Resurrection. The glory all the saints will have on the day of the Resurrection.
 Mar Yehisak the Syrian chapter 26 , page 216-17 ( translated from the Ge'ez )
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:46:19 AM by Hiwot » Logged

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »

I would often think of this saying whenever I see the horror of what one man does unto another including himself or what man becomes as a result of man's rejection of God.
During the communist's rule, the late Archbishop of Asela Abuna Salama used to say,’ when man embraces darkness he has the capacity to surpass even the darkness of the demons, how is that possible you might say, well the demons they do not deny the existence of God and they tremble at the mention of His Name, but man denies him in his heart and alas would dare to enter the holy sanctuary holding and kissing the cross. Such darkness would make even the demons shudder in its horror.’

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »

What is humility?
It’s a conscience that is not self-glorifying.
How is it consummated?
It is consummated when man entertains no thought that he is wise.
What is its crown?
When man thinks that no one is more sinful than him and when he
realizes that he is the lowest of all!
- St John el-Tababisi

God befriends the naive and reveals Himself to the humble. - Saint Toma el-Kambisi

The armor of humility honors its bearer. - St John el-Tabasi

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »

For the bread that is consecrated on the holy tables and mystically transmuted is itself truly the body, the body of him in whose name it was in fact transmuted, that is of him who voluntarily died and rose for our sakes. - St Severus of Antioch

By the faith therefore by which we understand and believe it to be the body of God who became incarnate without variation for our sakes, and voluntarily suffered and rose, by the same faith we understand and confess that it is also immortal and impassible, and bestows impassibility and immortality on us. - St Severus of Antioch

And for a confirmation of the transmutation that is accomplished this has been seen by many even with the eyes of their senses themselves, and they have seen bloodstained flesh being broken, not the bread that is laid upon the altar. - St Severus of Antioch

Source: http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/severus_coll_2_letters.htm

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »

“God the Logos, consubstantial with the Father, at the end of the ages for our redemption became consubstantial with man in the flesh, remaining what he was before.” - St Dioscorus of Alexandria

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »

We confess that He is Son of God and God according to the Spirit, Son of Man according to the flesh, not Two Natures to that One Son, One [Nature] worshipped the other unworshipped, but One Nature of God the Word Incarnate, worshipped with His flesh with One worship: nor Two Sons, One, Very Son of God and worshipped, the other the man out of Mary not worshipped, made by grace son of God just as men too are. - St Cyril of Alexandria, Against Theodore of Mopsuestia, ch 11

Source: http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/cyril_against_theodore_01_text.htm

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »

"If you happen to fall into temptation, do not let the guilt of sin be an obstacle to prayer. If you cease praying till you repent, you will never repent, for prayer is the door to genuine repentance."

H.H. Pope Abba Kyrillos VI.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »

As for everyone who came from [Adam's] descendants—from the prophets and the righteous ones—none of them was able to convey to us eternal life, for it was not in their essential nature; instead they remain under this singular affliction, just like all of humanity, for the life that has no end belongs only to the one with no beginning, because he exists outside the two ways—I mean to say, the beginning and the end. There have been none like that except God the Word.

God has not provided us with (eternal life) by means of his divinity, because we are not from that eternal, creative substance, and we do not correspond to him in anything. In his compassion he willed to become incarnate, and became united with the body in his divinity. He conferred eternal life upon that body through his union with it. Then he conferred it upon us—that is, on all of those who believe in him, in relationship to that body that he took from us.

Bishop Bulus el Bushi (13th Century Coptic Bishop)

quoted from Stephen Davis' Coptic Christology in Practice
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:07:48 PM by minasoliman » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »

God is glorified in His Godhead attributes.

God is glorified in His eternity, in His omnipotence, in His limitlessness as He is not limited by time or place. He is glorified in His greatness, in His indescribable beauty, in His holiness, in His wisdom, in His unlimited knowledge, and in His power to create. In short, God's Glory lies in His Godhead.

...If we glorify God on the earth, God will glorify us in heaven and here as well. “ For whom He foreknew, He also predestined… these He also glorified” (Rom. 8:29,30); “ If indeed we suffer with Him… we may also be glorified together” (Rom. 8:17) God even called us to His eternal glory (1 Pet.5: 10), so that we may be partakers of the glory that will be revealed, and receive the crown of glory that does not fade away (1 Pet. 5: 1,4), “bringing many sons to glory” (Heb. 2: 10). Yea, indeed, much glory has been, and is still, given us by God.

HH the late Pope Shenouda III

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »

"I asked for strength to endure, so He gave me weakness to learn to rely on Him."
- The Thrice Blessed HH Pope Shenouda III

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »

The sixth century Syriac poet and Father, St Jacob of Sarug (quoted by Paul Evdokimov--one of the greatest modern Eastern Orthodox writers, in my opinion):

"What man has ever died for his spouse, and what woman has ever chosen as her spouse one crucified? The Lord has espoused the Church, bestowed upon her a dowry by his blood, and forged for her a ring from the nails of his crucifixion."

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

Modern Oriental Orthodox Fathers and protectors of the faith:

http://canon15.nicaea.ca/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:03:41 PM by Severian » Logged

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

"This is the Apostolic faith, the Orthodox faith, & the faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, & let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us & in His Church."

-Saint Severus of Antioch
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:49:11 PM by Severian » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »

There is yet another way (of demonstrating the Incarnation), which is not theoretical in nature: namely, the certainty that results from (spiritual) exercise and inner purification.  The fathers, who along this path have arrived at the utmost end, have testified that the Christian faith alone is true. The proof of this is their attainment of contact with God to the extent that traces of Him became manifest in them, as well as their constancy in that faith and their devotion to it until they offered themselves up (in martyrdom) without separation from it and in obedience to it.

al-Safi ibn al-Assal, 13th Century Coptic intellect

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »

It should be noted that Copto-Arabic terminology here might be misunderstood when not understood in its context.  Here "essence" is used as "nature."  Therefore, two reasons for the Incarnation (as he says here, "union") is to attain "contact" with Him as He bestows His nature upon us.  The second is to attain human perfection as humanity was in a state of imperfection and impiety before the Incarnation.

The learned scholars have mentioned many reasons for the union, and they fall into two categories.

The First category concerns the Creator. The property on account of which he brought us into existence (namely, his generosity) was also that property on account of which he established contact with our nature, in order to perfect us—that is to say, (to bring us to) the perfection of his generosity. The (First) proof regarding the necessity of the union is the fact that the Creator (may he be exalted!) is the most excellent of benefactors. Now the most excellent of benefactors is the benefactor who bestows the most excellent of essences, and the most excellent of essences is the essence of the Creator. It necessarily follows then that the Creator has generously bestowed his essence upon us, and this took place in his contact with us. A second proof is the fact that his contact with us is possible, for the main objection to that contact is (the supposed) incompatibility (of the two uniting elements). But the Creator is not in fact opposed to his creature, since one opposing party would destroy its opposite, not bring it into existence. In the Torah, God said that he created humankind in his likeness, and this likeness is close to the (idea of) contact. If his contact with us is possible, and if we have the goal of honour(ing him), and if he possesses the perfection of generosity, then there can be no objection to it, apart from (claims that God is guilty of) impotence or greed. These two things are attributes of imperfection, and God is exalted above both of them. Therefore, his contact with us is necessary.

The second category pertains to us. That is, when we fell short of attaining our human perfection, and when the prophets fell short in helping even the smallest number of people attain the First principles of the aforementioned perfection, God became incarnate so that he might cause the greatest number of people to attain the goal of human perfection and (true) existence. The Scriptures give witness to the condition of Christians as compared to the condition of those who came before them, as well to their movement away from the worship of false deities to the worship of God, and away from great licence to the goal of ascetic piety.

al-Safi ibn al-Assal, 13th Century Coptic intellect

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »

For the one who created the world with a word is able to do this wondrous thing. He enacts his body by his Word when he says through the mouth of the priest, ‘This is my body,’ and he gave his body to his disciples in Emmaus, while being no-where. And just as his divinity was hidden in the womb of the Virgin Mary, in the same way it is hidden under the accidents of the bread and wine.

Pope Matthew IV of Alexandria, 17th Century

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:11:48 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »

Homily X of St. Severus of Antioch concerning the Epiphany-

http://www.lsocs.co.uk/severus_homily010.php

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »

The Spirit also descends upon him because of us. Now this Spirit is not one of the ministering spirits, but it is the Spirit of God, the consubstantial Spirit who reigns at the same time with him and with the Father. It is why, indeed, the evangelist himself said in a demonstrative manner: the Spirit of God, this Spirit who had abandoned the human race, on the subject of which the Lord God said: My Spirit will not remain eternally among men, because they are flesh. But this charitable being, who, by the generosity of his grace, as he himself willed to modify his own decree, abolishing for us this sentence, after also being made flesh without change himself, draws the Spirit upon the flesh, at the moment when he united his divinity with the creature who had been condemned and thus sends grace to all our race.

St. Severus of Antioch, 4th-5th Century

Tags: Oriental Orthodox Fathers Patristic sayings saints Church Fathers Oriental Orthodox Wisdom 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: