OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 11:02:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does something like this exist in the West?  (Read 2603 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: June 26, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »

I bumped across this at a Russian Orthodox internet forum ("Cirota"):

http://www.rusprofoto.ru/sterligov.html

The story that accompanies these pictures explains that this is a "poselenie" (a settlement) of Russian Orthodox men in Karelia (northwestern Russia, near the border with Finland). These men are all former city dwellers and office workers. At some point, they decided to abandon big cities and to live in rural areas, working on the land, and living according to the Orthopraxis.

In a discussion where this photo-link is placed, http://www.cirota.ru/forum/view.php?subj=71265 they stress that this settlement is not a monastery. The men who are shown on the pictures are married, and the children are really their children. (However, for some reason - I did not quite get, what was that reason, women aren't living in this settlement, only men.)

Are there any Orthodox settlements in the West, particularly in the US? I'm curious... Smiley

Love never fails.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »

One that I know of. There is a site for discussing this. Most members there are members here as well, but activity's gone to zilch since the few "real" farmers got city jobs.

Just in case it's against our rules, I'll PM you the URL (unless our esteemed administrators allow it's open posting here.)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:47:53 AM »

I believe what you are referring may be found in the AGAPE Community near Liberty Tennesee under the guidance of Priest Gregory Williams, ROCOR  Priets for the Church of the Annunciation.  One of the things that support the community (as well as a mission in Haiti) is the St John of Kronstadt Press. here is something off a website that discusses the community:

"Agape Community is a residential settlement of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia. It is located in a remote rural area of mountain hollows some 60 miles southeast of Nashville. Permanent residence is open to those who share fully with the community in the faith, either as landholders purchasing neighboring property or as leaseholders on community-owned property.

Temporary residence on community property is possible for those who seriously seek instruction in the faith. Visitors who seek information concerning the Orthodox Christian faith and an experience of a life centered therein are welcome for short periods of time by prior arrangement, but should be prepared for primitive living conditions and a diet and daily life conditioned by the discipline of the church.

The community operates a small religious press and publishes a bimonthly magazine, Living Orthodoxy."

They may be contacted at:
1180 Orthodox Way
Liberty, Tennessee 37095-4366 United States
Phone: 615-536-5239

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:06:59 AM »

Thank you, Thomas!

Love never fails.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:14:19 AM »

Thanks, Thomas
I was not aware that the Agape Community was still operational.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 03:52:14 PM »

It is still listed as such on ROCOR Websites and other resources. I do not know how many are currently there and I do know that father Gregory is also active in the Hatian Mission.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 04:58:33 PM »

I understand they recently left ROCOR over the Reunion? 

As for the general idea, George - yes we have it in the West. There are a few of us WRO who admire the Amish, and wouldn't mind living something similar but as Orthodox (of course, not exactly as Amish do - our way of living would be based on our Orthodoxy as the Amish is based on their Pietist beliefs). There indeed used to be communities like this in the West - often gathered around a monastery, whose monks they worked alongside in the fields. This was especially common in the Isles (Britain and Ireland.) I had in fact tried to recruit and gain backing for such an endeavour over a couple of year period a few years ago.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

Having lived in the heart of PA's second largest Amish settlement for 8 years, I can see the attraction.
Just visited there yesterday...bought some REAL eggs (don't know why, can't eat 'em)

Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 01:19:50 AM »

I've heard there are still Old Believer communities living in Alaska. There was a September 1972 article about them in National Geographic.

Here's something more recent on the Alaskan Old Believers that I found on the web:

http://www.travelintelligence.net/wsd/articles/art_584.html
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 02:58:28 AM »

I understand they recently left ROCOR over the Reunion? 

I had heard that also  and it is noted on http://www.ipc.od.ua/directory.htm the  Bishop Agafangel site listing those wholeft ROCOR however, but they are still listed in the  parish Directory on the website---others who left have been removed and the priests disciplined  (i.e Victor Dobroff of the  SYNODAL CATHEDRAL OF THE MOTHER OF GOD OF THE SIGN; NEW YORK, NY ) for disobedience to their hierarchs. I have not heard of Father Gregory being disciplined or dropped at this time.

Thomas.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 03:01:20 PM »

Thank you, all who replied.

I have a question though.The community described in my OP is male only - grown men and boys. These men are married. Is it considered good, from the Orthodox point of view, that these men live on their own, without their wives?

Love never fails.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Xeno

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »

Well, I'm not so sure that's a good idea - I'm not going to be quick to judge either. If the wives willingly live apart for the sake of Christ, but if the men are going to escape their wives? If they are doing it all male - then why not a monastery?

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 02:01:06 AM »

And why take the kids but not the wives?

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Xeno

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 03:21:49 PM »

Maybe it's Boy Scouts?  Grin

Tags: settlements communes monastic 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: