OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 07:26:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a gentle reminder  (Read 1173 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« on: May 16, 2003, 06:45:49 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

In Acts 1:3, Luke informs us that Jesus appeared to His disciple over a period of forty days after His resurrection until His ascension to heaven and God's right hand.

It is for this reason that for the period of forty days after Pascha, we greet each other and respond with the words "Christ is Risen!" "Truly He is Risen!". While this may not be easy to keep up with family, friends and collegues who are heterodox or non believers,I think we should make an effort to do so amongst our orthodox brethren  Smiley

Let us keep the joy and new hope experienced by Jesus' disciples alive in our own hearts.

BTW, Mor Ephrem has posted the feast of the Ascension on May 29 (Gregorian calendar). I tried posting the event on June 5 (Julian calendar) but got an error.

John.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 08:26:36 AM »

John,

I'm not sure why you got an error.

We have decided not to post immovable feasts on our Calendar on both the Gregorian date and the secular date equivalent to the Julian date (i.e. no posting of Christmas on "December 25" and "January 7" since on both calendars it actually falls on "December 25" only the Julian is 13 days "behind" the Gregorian in reckoning), so as to not 1) clutter 2) give the impression that the Gregorian dates equivalent to the Julian dates are the "actual" days of the feast (even at St. Vladimir's there are people who insist that Old Calendarists celebrate Christmas on Jan 7, and when I explain to them that no, they celebrate it on December 25, only December 25 is reckoned 13 days behind, they're like, "you just don't get it!" and I'm like, "uh huh, sure."  Grin

Since Anscension is a movable feast though, I think it's fine that you post it in its Old Calendar date as well.  Keep trying, please.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 08:34:12 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

Anastasios, they should visit Mt. Athos for a few days and ask someone there what the date is. Maybe then they will understand. Maybe.

John.
Tags: Pascha 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: