OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:20:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Increased Censorship  (Read 14141 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: June 22, 2007, 05:05:42 PM »

I enjoy OC.net insofar as it helps me go outside my own box.  Of course, there's always the plague and problem of ad hominems, but we try to overcome those as time goes on.

A barrier to this forum's continued usefulness in discussing broader or extremely specific trends in the Orthodox Church today is a lack of relevant censorship except in extreme circumstances of "ad hominem" slander.  I would like to see censorship take an increased role here.

Thank you,
Authio

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »

I enjoy OC.net insofar as it helps me go outside my own box.  Of course, there's always the plague and problem of ad hominems, but we try to overcome those as time goes on.

A barrier to this forum's continued usefulness in discussing broader or extremely specific trends in the Orthodox Church today is a lack of relevant censorship except in extreme circumstances of "ad hominem" slander.  I would like to see censorship take an increased role here.

Thank you,
Authio

You want increased censorship? That's just sick, there's nothing else to it. (And no, dont mistake this as an ad hominem, it's a general disgust with the concept of censorship and dislike anyone who would hold the concept of liberty in such contempt as to advocate it...nothing personal)

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:15:33 PM »

I'm just curious as to what you feel needs to be censored? 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
authio
Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:23:28 PM »

dislike anyone who would hold the concept of liberty in such contempt as to advocate it...

"Some are created more equal than others" ~Animal Farm by George Orwell

I think the abuse of liberty to bully, harass, or otherwise diminish one's personal struggle with the Lord [which is one of the reasons why this forum is here and is the cause of many of the posts on this forum] by some "more equal" through the uncharitable use of rhetoric is a threat to humanity.

"There is only one salvation for you: take yourself up, and make yourself responsible for all the sins of men. For indeed it is so, my friend, and the moment you make yourself sincerely responsible for everything and everyone, you will see at once that it is really so, that it is you who are guilty on behalf of all and for all. Whereas by shifting your own laziness and powerlessness onto others, you will end by sharing in Satan's pride and murmuring against God" (Book VI, Chapter 3 of The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky).

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:38:41 PM »

I still don't undestand what you're getting at. I'm especially confused by your quoting of Orwell, since you seem to be advocating that which Orwell was so briliantly and rightly criticising in that book.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 05:39:07 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »

I still don't undestand what you're getting at. I'm especially confused by your quoting of Orwell, since you seem to be advocating that which Orwell was so briliantly and rightly criticising in that book.

And he's complaining about the abuse of rhetoric Huh

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »

I think the abuse of liberty to bully, harass, or otherwise diminish one's personal struggle with the Lord [which is one of the reasons why this forum is here and is the cause of many of the posts on this forum] by some "more equal" through the uncharitable use of rhetoric is a threat to humanity.

Authiodionitist,

I understand your concern, though, as one whose role as a Moderator would require me to help enact this censorship you seem to want, I don't quite agree with your desire.  I may be new to the Mod team, but I have been visiting this forum quite often for quite a while, which gives me some perspective regarding the intent behind this forum.  I'm sure the site Admins Anastasios and Fr. Chris could communicate their vision for the OC.net discussion forum even better than I can, but I do know that we try to maintain an online community environment where people are free to speak their minds and their hearts without feeling threatened or abused.  Yes, some people do like to use this forum to belittle others or will get angry and flame other posters on occasion--your OP seems to indicate that you're somewhat sensitive to this and have felt the bite of other posters' rhetoric, and if I have contributed in any way to you being stung, I beg you to forgive me.  But overall, I don't see how increased censorship would make this forum any better than it already is.  I think the Admins and Moderators have a great vision for OC.net, and I look forward to sharing in their ministry.

- Peter
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:27:19 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 07:50:09 PM »

authiodiontist,

I'm trying to understand what you perceive as a problem. Do you mean by this quote above that you see a form of ad hominem attacks in threads discussing contemporary issues in the Orthodox Church which are not being corrrected?

It's very difficult to look at possible problems unless we are clear and all understand what the possible problem is. Perhaps you would like to pm a moderator or an admin with a specific example of what you mean.

George

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »

You gotta be kiddin me !!! Cencorship is already over the top on OCnet. I agree with GiC .It is si......

*** Edited to prevent cencorship Wink
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:25:26 PM by Mo the Ethio » Logged

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 09:27:26 PM »

Can we at least find out exactly what the problem is before ripping out jugulars?  Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:39:19 PM »

You gotta be kiddin me !!! Cencorship is already over the top on OCnet. I agree with GiC .It is si......
             *** Edited to prevent cencorship Wink

I say we censor all mispelled words.  Grin

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 09:54:35 PM »

The mods would have to quit their day jobs. Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »

Can we at least find out exactly what the problem is before ripping out jugulars?  Smiley

Come on George, he's adovcating censorship, what more do we need to know?

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 10:15:47 PM »

I enjoy OC.net insofar as it helps me go outside my own box. 

Perhaps you should reconsider leaving your own little box? The real world just might be too much for you.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:16:05 PM by TomS » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 10:21:50 PM »

Why Authiodinitist is advocating censorship...  Evidently, someone said something that stung him and made him feel that tighter moderation is needed, and George and I would like to know what that was so we can know what remedy is really needed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:24:36 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 10:26:06 PM »

Why Authiodinitist is advocating censorship...  Evidently, someone said something that stung him and made him feel that tighter moderation is needed, and George and I would like to know what that was so we can know what remedy is really needed.

Then he should PM George or yourself to express his concern, rather than publicly proclaim the indefencable position of advocating censorship.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »

OH NO! Someone's feelings might have been hurt on an internet message board !!  Shocked

How can that be?  Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 10:37:36 PM »

To all concerned: please show kindness toward our brother Authodionitist while we on the Moderator team work to resolve this issue.  I'm concerned that the uncharitable response I see coming from more than one of you may have already driven him away from this forum.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 10:45:01 PM »

Let's put things in perspective -- The guy has 187 posts.

The people responding to his call for increased censorship have, on the average, over 2500 posts EACH and years invested in this board.

He aint gettin nothin but attitude from me! (as if I give anything else)  Wink

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:45:42 PM by TomS » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »

The people responding to his call for increased censorship have, on the average, over 2500 posts EACH and years invested in this board.

Thanks a lot for reminding me how much time I have wasted here, now I'm depressed. (You should be more sensitive of my feelings Grin)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:54:04 PM by greekischristian » Logged

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »

Thanks a lot for reminding me how much time I have wasted here, now I'm depressed. (You should be more sensitive of my feelings Grin)

Hey, that's okay.

BTW I was sent a nasty PM from the moderator who calls himself "Doofus" He says that I am being mean and MUST STOP!  Cheesy 

Let the censorship begin!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:56:58 PM by TomS » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »

'The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it.  If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth:  if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.' -- John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Or perhaps more in the spirit of this thread:

'To choose a good book, look in an inquisitor’s prohibited list.' -- John Aikin

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 11:08:41 PM »

"Censorship" may not be exactly what authioditionist means (and btw, I'm not sure that authioditionist is a "he"). This is what I am trying to ascertain by this post. If people could just remain calm and not react to trigger words so violently that people become afraid to say anything, perhaps we can find out what authioditionist actually means.
Could we please try LISTENING to others for a change, and trying to clarify what they mean before over-reacting to what we think they mean?

So? The forum is not the exclusive property of frequent posters.
Stop treating the forum like a beehive to be protected by the swarm against "intruders".

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 11:27:27 PM »

Stop treating the forum like a beehive to be protected by the swarm against "intruders".

No, that is not my point. My point is that, statistically speaking, his sample is too small.

In other words, he has not been posting long enough to make that type of determination.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 11:31:36 PM »

No, that is not my point. My point is that, statistically speaking, his sample is too small.

In other words, he has not been posting long enough to make that type of determination.
That's ridiculous. A poster's number of posts is no reflection of how long they have been reading the forum. So the variable you are using is producing false statistics. "There are three types of lies: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics."

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 11:33:10 PM »

Sorry to see any poster leave, even me on the three or four times I have in the past  Roll Eyes

Apparently he has quit (Signature says something like "I no longer post here")

I think I know was his complaint was. Not sure it rose to the level on needing censorship or even moderation, but the last couple of days have been slow ones here in OCnetLand. I tired of the homosexual issue re-argument (How many times have we gone through that one?) and went off to a Protestant board for some more meaty discussions.
We long time posters really need to consider those less active folks and newbies who don't know us well, as well as possible in cyberland. Sometimes in our banter we assume that everyone knows we're playing or just taking a position to be an advocate for argument's sake.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 11:36:28 PM »

That's ridiculous. A poster's number of posts is no reflection of how long they have been reading the forum. So the variable you are using is producing false statistics. "There are three types of lies: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics."

I say Unless You Post, it don't count!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 11:39:39 PM »

I say Unless You Post, it don't count!
Opinion noted.

Sorry to see any poster leave, even me on the three or four times I have in the past  Roll Eyes

Apparently he has quit (Signature says something like "I no longer post here")

I think I know was his complaint was. Not sure it rose to the level on needing censorship or even moderation, but the last couple of days have been slow ones here in OCnetLand. I tired of the homosexual issue re-argument (How many times have we gone through that one?) and went off to a Protestant board for some more meaty discussions.
We long time posters really need to consider those less active folks and newbies who don't know us well, as well as possible in cyberland. Sometimes in our banter we assume that everyone knows we're playing or just taking a position to be an advocate for argument's sake.
Well said, and I agree with every single point.

dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 12:35:08 AM »

If anyone feels that there is an ad hominem attack or something unwarrented then please, please use the Report to Moderator Button!  It is at the bottom of each post on the right hand side.  If that does not work for you, then send either a pm to the board's moderator or to myself of Cleveland.  We try to catch things that are over the top, but this is a huge forum and we cannot catch everything; furthermore, something may be offencive, but we may not realise it or it may be something special that warrents individual attention. 

Daniel,
Global Moderator
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 12:35:39 AM by dantxny » Logged

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 01:31:23 AM »

I think TomS has a valid point, it's not so much how long one has read the forum as how long one has participated and actually interacted (there's a huge difference between reading and interacting). I never really made a suggestion (or perhaps I should say demand, since he left when he didn't get his way) of this sort until I was well over a thousand posts into this mess, and even then if I recall properly I simply made a general condemnation of this very matter, censorship: while reasserting the legal right of Anastasios to do as he sees fit I simply argued that censorship is inherently immoral (pretty much the same thing I did here). But, of course, I would apply this equally to everyone, everyone regardless of how absurd I personally believe that everyone has a moral (if not legal or natural) right to post their opinion; the OP basically wanted to impose his opinion on everyone prohibiting open discussion and disagreement, I do believe there is a fundamental difference here.

I tired of the homosexual issue re-argument (How many times have we gone through that one?) and went off to a Protestant board for some more meaty discussions.

It's by no means the most fun of issues, but as you say, it's been slow...and it is more interesting than debating the details of liturigcs or custom.

To an extent I agree, but I am also of the opinion that people need to learn to be tolerant of different ideas in the context of debate and/or discussion. If you have a problem with a position, explain your problem, defend your position, and listen to the other person. As the quote from Mill I posted above suggests, you can only benifit from the experience, either you will realize the error of your ways and embrace truth, or you will better understand the truth by having a clearer perception of truth produced by its collision with error. So I quote again:

'The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it.  If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth:  if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.' -- John Stuart Mill

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 01:43:27 AM »

^^ I agree. How can you seriously get bent out of shape on an internet forum.. Huh I believe in the free flow of ideas and people should be able to express themselves in the manner they want. Everyone brings different view points to the table and this should be respected and upheld. If not, what's the point of a discussion forum? If you don't understand or respect such principles, then maybe you are more suited to be a far - left wing professor on a campus that has 'speech codes' lol... Wink

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 01:52:44 AM »

^^ I agree. How can you seriously get bent out of shape on an internet forum.. Huh I believe in the free flow of ideas and people should be able to express themselves in the manner they want. Everyone brings different view points to the table and this should be respected and upheld. If not, what's the point of a discussion forum? If you don't understand or respect such principles, then maybe you are more suited to be a far - left wing professor on a campus that has 'speech codes' lol... Wink

WOW...we actually agree. Has this ever happened before? Wink

Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 02:01:02 AM »

Busted !! I REALLY mis teh spel chek!

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 03:21:45 AM »

I believe in the free flow of ideas
So do I.

and people should be able to express themselves in the manner they want.
Does this include spam, trolling, abuse, rudness, bullying and harassment?
Does this include allowing postrers to take over the board and continually hijack threads with the same old boring rubbish they always do?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:23:26 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 03:33:56 AM »

I think a general review of the principles discussed in this thread, now stuck to the top of the FFA section, may be a good thing.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11808.0.html

With the free flow of ideas comes the responsibility to use our freedom in the Spirit of Christian love.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:34:22 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »

Does this include allowing postrers to take over the board and continually hijack threads with the same old boring rubbish they always do?

If I had a vote, I'd say "no"  Wink

I wish though that Authio would come back and explain what was meant. I'm trying to understand what was the cause.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 12:55:18 PM »

Many forums have a good solution to spam and such without censoring anything. They simply have a 'junk' forum where all such posts are transferred, browse at your own risk.

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 01:41:41 PM »

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2007, 02:44:57 PM »

ISTM that many of those who cry the loudest for unbridled freedom to speak are often the most irresponsible in their use of the freedom they already have.  Which is more important, to assert your rights or to love your neighbor as yourself?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:46:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2007, 03:45:30 PM »

ISTM that many of those who cry the loudest for unbridled freedom to speak are often the most irresponsible in their use of the freedom they already have.

It would make sense that those who best understand the value of freedom would make the most use of the same. Sorry we do not all share your vision of Orwellian dystopia.

Which is more important, to assert your rights or to love your neighbor as yourself?

Love cannot be coerced, if it is not free it is not love. Thus, I assert that the postulate is more vital than the conclusion. How could one answer that anything is of greater concern than liberty?

Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:47:12 PM by greekischristian » Logged

Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:55 AM »

Just a few thoughts. I personally have no complaints in regard to how I have been treated here. I have posted on other Orthodox internet sites over the last few years. As a woman I have been treated relatively well by most posters. Ironically, the only time I was harassed was by another woman who wanted to have a catfight. I won't play that game. But I have noticed that men can be quite harsh with one another on the various Orthodox sites. Some men use their writing skills to tear down other men. Bullying with attitude, condescension or intellectual haughtiness is not Christian.

Anyway, I know it may be hard for some men to do but try to be sensitive to newcomers (especially on the convert board). Some come here as inquirers to Orthodoxy. Others come as trembling catechumens who have sinful pasts they are trying to work through. If all they receive here is perceived as debate and bullying when they ask questions they will think twice about posting again. Not everyone has a thick armor of steel to repel some of the attitudes that comes across by some of the posters here. And don't tell me that if they can't take it they shouldn't post. This is an Orthodox Christian site and it should be a welcoming environment.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 12:43:37 AM »

\

Anyway, I know it may be hard for some men to do but try to be sensitive to newcomers (especially on the convert board). Some come here as inquirers to Orthodoxy. Others come as trembling catechumens who have sinful pasts they are trying to work through. If all they receive here is perceived as debate and bullying when they ask questions they will think twice about posting again. Not everyone has a thick armor of steel to repel some of the attitudes that comes across by some of the posters here. And don't tell me that if they can't take it they shouldn't post. This is an Orthodox Christian site and it should be a welcoming environment.

Very well said! 

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2007, 12:50:53 AM »

Just a few thoughts. I personally have no complaints in regard to how I have been treated here. I have posted on other Orthodox internet sites over the last few years. As a woman I have been treated relatively well by most posters. Ironically, the only time I was harassed was by another woman who wanted to have a catfight. I won't play that game. But I have noticed that men can be quite harsh with one another on the various Orthodox sites. Some men use their writing skills to tear down other men. Bullying with attitude, condescension or intellectual haughtiness is not Christian.

Sorry you feel left out...I don't mean to discriminate. If you make a few stupid posts I'll be sure to treat you the same as everyone else. Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »

Huh I'm a moderator of this forum. Should I not moderate to ensure forum rules and policy are adhered to?

I don't believe that was the source of objection; the source of objection was the pretense that you held some moral high ground while engaging in an inherently immoral act (censorship).

That you have a legal right to moderate <cough>or censor</cough> information on this form is obvious as it is privately held, not supported by public funds, and not likely to affect the economic status of those involved. But there's no need to try to claim some moral right, the absence of which is equally obvious.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:01:35 PM by greekischristian » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »

I don't believe that was the source of objection; the source of objection was the pretense that you held some moral high ground while engaging in an inherently immoral act (censorship).

That you have a legal right to moderate <cough>or censor</cough> information on this form is obvious as it is privately held, not supported by public funds, and not likely to affect the economic status of those involved. But there's no need to try to claim some moral right, the absence of which is equally obvious.

I see. So basically, what you consider to be "moral" is a forum with no rules, no policies, in which anyone can post whatever they want, including advertising pornography, ad hominems, hate mail etc.. Well, if that's the case, why do you hang around GIC? Why don't you vote with your feet and simply start a "no boundaries/no guidelines/no policies forum"? Isn't it a moral obligation on your part to do so? Or are you a hypocrite who just likes to mouth off and take the higher moral ground?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:14:45 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tags: moderation orthodoxchristianity.net censorship 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: