OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:23:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bread  (Read 3184 times) Average Rating: 0
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: June 21, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »

I was learning how the bread to be offered during liturgies is baked the other day and what the pattern on it means and was wondering how this might differ between traditions.
Could some people please explain what their Church's bread looks like and what the significant features mean?
Thank you.
~~~
The Coptics bake round bread which is stamped with a circular stamp (as God is eternal).
In the middle of the circle is a cross on a square with four crosses little crosses in its corners (showing how the Gospel of Christ's death and ressurection would be preached in all the world).
To each side of the square there are two more little crosses on little squares (totalling 12 for the Apostles, ie 2x4+4).
Around the edge of the circle there are some words in Greek (Holy God, Holy Almighty, Holy Immortal).
The bread is pierced five times (to represent the five wounds of Christ).
An odd number is offered and each number has a meaning. (If an even number is baked then the baker gets to keep one!)

Of course there are also prayers and other details to go with this but I was just speaking of what the bread actually looks like right now.
~~~
So may I please ask how other traditions bake their bread?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:01:56 AM by Didymus » Logged

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:12:48 AM »

Here ya' go!

http://www.prosphora.org/

(I use, and give for gifts, the first Byzantine stamp shown under Prosphora Stamp Central. And our Pani's recipe).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »

Thank you that seems most helpful  Cool

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Thomas06

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 02:11:20 PM »

Here ya' go!

http://www.prosphora.org/

(I use, and give for gifts, the first Byzantine stamp shown under Prosphora Stamp Central. And our Pani's recipe).

Thanks for that link.. I didn't know there were that many different designs!
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 01:15:36 AM »

Thanks for that link.. I didn't know there were that many different designs!

I know Fr. George Aquaro personally. He is a wonderful Antiochian priest in so Cal. He is of Italian background and he continues to study the ancient designs of bread stamps from all of the Orthodox cultures. He is also the same priest who wrote the book on the evil eye, Death by Envy.
He taught me how to make prosphora and helped me refine my bread-making skills.
He continues to make bread stamps for feast days (Artos bread). I have several of these stamps but I still haven't tried the Artos recipe yet. His interest in the subject of liturgical bread recipes and stamps are helping us to reclaim our Orthodox heritage.
He is also a very cool guy if I can say that about a priest.  Wink

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 01:52:25 AM »

His Artos recipe is great, although best suited for small parishes or parishes that have less attendance at Litya or Atoclasia services. I have made it several times for our parish with great results. In Greek Parishes I have seen the Loaves as large as Green Style Prosphora loaves.

However, I can not vouch for the Artos stamps, I ordered mine  last November through our parish books store and have yet to get one of the three I ordered.  Father does note on his website that is has a delay of unspecified time, probably because now that he is a parish priest with his own parish he has too little time to spend making the stqmps.  I hope to get mine soon and when I do I will let you know how well they work.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »

I'm unhappy with that website's page on "Western Communion Hosts" - most of it not being Western by any stretch, but simply some Modernist abuses. The local canons of the Western church (in Braganza) required the bread be whole, white, wheat, leavened, and round. So - one can either find the 'flat' hosts after those requirements made by Charis Bread for AWRV parishes. Our WRITE uses small Western hosts which are similiar in size to the Syrian qurban - they are about the size of a 'dinner roll' and are marked with a large cross (though I've seen some marked with the small seal IC XC NIKA.) In the Medieval period, there were also seals (still extant) used in Sarum and other local uses in Britain that had images of the Crucifixion, of Christ, of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and other Saints as well.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:34:35 PM »

His Artos recipe is great, although best suited for small parishes or parishes that have less attendance at Litya or Atoclasia services. I have made it several times for our parish with great results. In Greek Parishes I have seen the Loaves as large as Green Style Prosphora loaves.

However, I can not vouch for the Artos stamps, I ordered mine  last November through our parish books store and have yet to get one of the three I ordered.  Father does note on his website that is has a delay of unspecified time, probably because now that he is a parish priest with his own parish he has too little time to spend making the stqmps.  I hope to get mine soon and when I do I will let you know how well they work.

Thomas

He was assigned to a larger parish that had a priest who caused some turmoil. He has been very busy with calming the parish down. The bishop has visited several times to help him with the situation but sometimes episcopal visits can be demanding of a priest's time too. Many of his parishioners are immigrants from the middle east and believe me...they can be very demanding on the time they require from their priest.  Wink Especially if they need to be calmed down LOL!
Fr. George speaks some Arabic and looks like an Arab too with his Italian appearance so he has been a good fit for them. But he said it will take some time to restore order and peace.
You could try emailing him directly in case your order was misplaced when he moved.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:35:16 PM by Tamara » Logged
Tags: artos bread communion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: