OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:28:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Politics  (Read 1473 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: June 18, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »

Ok, I'm really confused now. The thread about liberals being Orthodox has been going on for quite a while now, and I wondered why it wasn't moved to the political part of the forum, but I didn't say anything because what do I care? But I came today and saw that the thread was moved to the Free For All section, which has an explicit, bolded warning that there is to be no political discussion there. So, what are the criteria used to determine when to move a thread, and where to move a thread? Why was this thread moved to FFA, violating the forum's own guidelines, especially when threads that had absolutely nothing to do with politics, but maybe had a somewhat political post or two that went off-topic, got moved in a heart beat to politics (de facto terminating the original discussion)?

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »

Well, seeing it's in FFA, I guess it's my problem now.
I'm going to have another look at it, but from memory, it's not really so much about politics, but rather, sociology. As I understand it, the reason it was moved to FFA is that is was too way off topic to remain in Convert Issues. It wasn't moved because it was "political". At the moment, I can't see anything overtly political in it, but as I said, I'll take another look. In the meantime, there is no reason why people who might want to discuss the political implications cannot start another thread in the Politics forum themselves.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »

Sorry, folks...I thought it had been moved to Politics instead of FFA.

Now it's where we all agreed it should be.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:02:25 PM »

Oh well, that solved that problem!

bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:02:19 PM »

The title of this thread is somewhat confusing and does have a political connotation for "liberals."  If the origianl question was "liberals" there is no answer.  Throughout history there have been Orthodox of all political persuasions ranging from the far right to the left in Europe, mostly on the "right." And also clergy!  The same goes for the religious right and left.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 06:47:41 PM »

The title of this thread is somewhat confusing and does have a political connotation for "liberals."  If the origianl question was "liberals" there is no answer.  Throughout history there have been Orthodox of all political persuasions ranging from the far right to the left in Europe, mostly on the "right." And also clergy! The same goes for the religious right and left.
Has this post now rendered this a "political" thread?

authio
Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »

May I get let into this political forum please?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »

May I get let into this political forum please?

Ditto.  I've emailed Robert and have yet received no reply about being let on.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:44:41 PM »

I know everyone is asking for features and you guys dont want to develop too many more, which is understandable. But perhaps giving someone the option to access the politics and EO-OO debate forums during sign up, then a toggle function in one's profile options would bring lower some barriers to access the forums allowing some people who don't want to formally request, for one reason or another, to participate.

Of course, I haven't played around with the code for the simple machines forums before, thus I don't really know how hard this would be to implement. So, if I'm requesting something that's absurdly difficult...just ignore me Wink (or you can ignore me in either case, it's just a suggestion Grin)

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:43 AM »

Authiodontist and Scamandrius,

Apparently there's been some confusion regarding how to gain access to the Private Forums. As the Administrator in charge of the Forum, this task has been delegated to me, and once the messages were forwarded to me access was granted within 5 minutes.

You're in!

I make certain for all posterity that this issue does not crop up again, I have thumbtacked the following message for any future applicants:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=9368.msg161682#new

Due to some confusion regarding who to petition for access to the Private forums (i.e., the Politics Board as well as the EO/OO Board if/when these posts move towards polemical debates), I wish to clarify the following:

If you want to post in the Private Forums, you must PM me with a message asking to do so.

Some recent petitions were made to others, and no action had yet been taken perhaps because they were assuming I was copied in. So, to prevent such problems:

PM Fr Chris for access to the Private Forums.

Once again, to clarify things:

Fr Chris is the one to be PM'ed if you want access to the Private Forums.

Thanks!  Wink

Fr Chris
Admin
(The one you should PM in case you want access to the Private Forums)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:25:31 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags: politics 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: