OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 03:40:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all you U2 fans  (Read 11173 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2007, 10:40:31 PM »

Folks,

As wonderful as the police and dick dale are, they are not U2 and do not posses the magic of U2.   Wink

With that being said, I do think that Coldplay are the next U2. Can I get an Amen?!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »

Folks,

As wonderful as the police and dick dale are, they are not U2 and do not posses the magic of U2.   Wink

With that being said, I do think that Coldplay are the next U2. Can I get an Amen?!

Can't go there with you, brother!

Here is my assessment.
U2 took on the mantle of the Beatles
Springsteen took on the mantle of the Stones
the Police took on the mantle of Zepplin
and Hendrix - well no one revolutionized guitar playing like he did
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2007, 04:22:32 PM »

DM is good for sure.  U2 was OK, they got better after Eno.  Eno is the BASF of music: he does not make the music that most of us listen to (unless you are me), he makes the music we listen to better (U2, Talking Heads, DEVO, Bowie's Low and Heros, Roxy Music).

Guitar?  Robert Fripp.  Sorry, Edge is not worthy to hold a used G string from the Fripp guitar (if it was even tuned to G, you never know with Fripp).

Lyrics?  Bowie and Cat Stevens are my favorites.

And there is always a place in my heart for Gary Numan.  Are "Friends" electric?  Maybe . . .

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2007, 09:17:01 PM »

DM is good for sure

Amen

U2 was OK, they got better after Eno.  Eno is the BASF of music: he does not make the music that most of us listen to (unless you are me), he makes the music we listen to better (U2, Talking Heads, DEVO, Bowie's Low and Heros, Roxy Music).

Agreed

Guitar?  Robert Fripp.  Sorry, Edge is not worthy to hold a used G string from the Fripp guitar (if it was even tuned to G, you never know with Fripp).

BLASPHEMY! You should be burned at the steak as a heretic!  Cheesy

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »

And what would you use for the firewood?  Old guitars?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2007, 11:46:06 PM »

Here is my assessment.
U2 took on the mantle of the Beatles
Springsteen took on the mantle of the Stones
the Police took on the mantle of Zepplin
and Hendrix - well no one revolutionized guitar playing like he did
The U2 of 20 yrs ago sounded more like their idols- the clash. The U2 of today? Well a good analogy is wine- better with age. BUT the mantle of the Beatles? Methinks not.
Never, repeat, never have liked Springsteen's stuff. I do love the Stones. Can you tell where I'm going with this one?  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »

Lyrics?  Bowie
Which manifestation? The Thin White Duke? Ziggy Stardust?

and Cat Stevens are my favorites.
You mean Yusuf Islam. He hates that old moniker.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2007, 08:04:06 AM »

Which manifestation? The Thin White Duke? Ziggy Stardust?
You mean Yusuf Islam. He hates that old moniker.

I like most of Bowie except for the stuff he was putting out in the late '80s and early '90s.  My absolute favorites are the "Berlin Trillogy" of Low, Heros, and Lodger.  I perhaps like Station to Station a bit more than Lodger.  Scary Monsters was probably the last of his great albums in my opinion.  My wife, on the other hand, prefers some of the ones that came after.

I know that Cat Stevens does not like his old moniker, but I liked his music much better when he was searching for the Way than when he thought he found it.

Brian Eno is perhaps my favorite of all musicians.  Funny thing is, he is not a musician (by his own admission).  Perhaps that is why I have enjoyed most of his work, including the ambient experiments.  It is amazing what one can do when nobody has taught him that it cannot be done!  I am glad that he and Brian Ferry made up in recent years since I believe that Ferry is one of the best of the modern vocalists.  I can't think of anyone's lyrics that he cannot make sound better.  Not to mention that he is a pretty good songwriter himself.

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »

Well, upon reflection, I should qualify that.  At the time that I wrote my statement I was thinking of skill and innovation.  Now, which would I rather listen to?  That nod would have to go to The Edge probably nine times out of ten (unless Fripp is playing for Bowie or Eno).

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2007, 09:40:12 AM »

Well, upon reflection, I should qualify that.  At the time that I wrote my statement I was thinking of skill and innovation.  Now, which would I rather listen to?  That nod would have to go to The Edge probably nine times out of ten (unless Fripp is playing for Bowie or Eno).

You are forgiven, now go in peace.  Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »

The U2 of 20 yrs ago sounded more like their idols- the clash. The U2 of today? Well a good analogy is wine- better with age. BUT the mantle of the Beatles? Methinks not.
Never, repeat, never have liked Springsteen's stuff. I do love the Stones. Can you tell where I'm going with this one?  Wink
Well, by their own admission, U2 idolized the Ramones. They certainly were influenced by many punk bands on both continents, though.

Agreed on Springsteen, not with the Stones. Never have cared for anyone who wanted to be "the answer to the Beatles." Sir Paul's lance, methinks, doth cut mightily upon meeting thy flesh, humble peasant Mick.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »

I am not talking about how they sound, but their place in the music pantheon.
The Beatles had this expansive body of music and so does U2
The Stones are the blue collar party rock & roll band and so is Springsteen
Zeplin was the epitome of the rock trio of the 70's/the Police was that for the 80's
Stevie Ray approached Hendrix but no one has really done what Jimi did: maybe by committee - SRV, Eddie Van Halen, Prince, but even then, not quite
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2007, 11:56:22 AM »

Zeplin was the epitome of the rock trio of the 70's
so which member of Zep do you eliminate to make them a trio?

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2007, 08:15:10 PM »

^ Since John Bonham died, I guess they are now....

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »

so which member of Zep do you eliminate to make them a trio?
I am thinking of the instrumentation, Zep had a vocalist plus guit/bass/drums
Police combined vocalist with the bass player - But Sting's ego might be so big that he counts for two people! Wink
instrumentally, both rock trios
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:24:53 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2007, 10:14:18 AM »

^ Since John Bonham died, I guess they are now....

I don't know.  When Led Zeppelin was inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Shame...I mean, Fame..., John Paul Jones said a few words "thanking" both Robert Plant and Jimmy Page for remembering to invite him.  Apparently he had been "disinvited".  So maybe Plant and Page considered only John Bonham the third member.

That's really a shame, too since JPJ was and is the most musically talented of the four of them.  He was not only versatile in the number of instruments he played but he also arranged most of the songs into the forms heard on the albums, though he was never given much, if any, song writing credits.  He's also a pivotal figure in the history of bass players.  I'd rank him up there along with Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee, Cliff Burton, Steve Harris and Geezer Butler.  Just MHO.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: