OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:46:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all you U2 fans  (Read 11229 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2007, 08:36:01 PM »

Things were so much better in the 80's & early 90's when good music was still being played and promoted on the radio. Great bands like Depeche Mode, INXS, U2, The Cure, & ColdPlay to name a few are replaced with the garbage that fills the airwaves today thanks to all the mindless tools in our society.

Look, I gave you the benefit of the doubt on Depeche Mode (don't care one way or the other), and I'm totally cool with the other guys you mentioned, but ColdPlay?  What the bleep?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2007, 08:50:34 PM »

Coldplay is the next U2.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »

Coldplay is the next U2.

Could be. They are also mediocre.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »

Look, I gave you the benefit of the doubt on Depeche Mode (don't care one way or the other), and I'm totally cool with the other guys you mentioned, but ColdPlay?  What the bleep?

ColdPlay is pretty dam good. They have made some really good albums, but hey if you don't like them that's just fine.

Could be. They are also mediocre

I would disagree. They make some pretty good moving melodic tunes. What kind of music do you listen to son?

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2007, 11:18:28 PM »

If you love U2, or even if you doubt their songwriting skills, check out Johnny Cash's interpretation of the U2 song "One".  Wonderful song and performance.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2007, 11:21:47 PM »

I first picked up a guitar because I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. I wanted to be John Lennon - I thought he was the "cool" Beatle.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2007, 11:23:29 PM »

If you love U2, or even if you doubt their songwriting skills, check out Johnny Cash's interpretation of the U2 song "One".  Wonderful song and performance.

Those several Johhny Cash CD's covering all kinds of songs are great. Except he doesn't cover them, he CONVERTS them into Johnny Cash songs!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2007, 11:29:40 PM »

Things were so much better in the 80's & early 90's when good music was still being played and promoted on the radio. Great bands like Depeche Mode, INXS, U2, The Cure, & ColdPlay to name a few are replaced with the garbage that fills the airwaves today thanks to all the mindless tools in our society.

If you liked radio then, you would have really loved the early days of fm radio in the late 60's, early 70's - they did play anything they wanted, usually whole sides of albums (but that was probably so they could go burn a doobie!)

Even am radio was pretty wide open: you could hear in the same hour, Petula Clark, The Beatles, the Temptations, James Taylor, Marvin Gaye, Chicago, Tom Jones, Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, Crosby-Stills-Nash&Young, Bob Dylan, The Stones, and maybe something off the wall like Tiny Tim singing "Tiptoe through the Tulips."

PS I agree with you about the mindless "plugged in " culture
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »

Sorry for 4 posts in a row, but

I bought a vintage, restored Dual turntable today with a new shure cartridge.

Wow! I forgot how spacious and three-dimensional records are. Pretty cool.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2007, 11:52:17 PM »

I love U2 and many of the other bands mentioned from the 80s. Reminds me of my college days when I only wore black clothing  Cheesy.  But I also love Dick Dale...surf music...I am a California girl!  Wink
Dick Dale is of Lebanese heritage and he loved to mix middle-eastern sounds into his music.
Here's one of my favorites:

Misirlou

http://podcast.xs4all.nl/upload/werksman-misirlou.mp3

Its an old song from the middle east. Here are the words in Greek with English translation

Greek         
Μισιρλού μου, η γλυκιά σου η ματιά
Φλόγα μου 'χει ανάψει μες στην καρδιά
Αχ, για χαμπίμπι, αχ, για χαλέλι, αχ

Τα δυο σου χείλη στάζουνε μέλι, αχ

Αχ, Μισιρλού, μαγική, ξωτική ομορφιά
Τρέλα θα μου 'ρθει, δεν υποφέρω πια
Αχ, θα σε κλέψω μέσα από την Αραπιά

Μαυρομάτα Μισιρλού μου τρελή
Η ζωή μου αλλάζει μ' ένα φιλί
Αχ, για χαμπίμπι ενα φιλάκι,άχ
Απ' το γλυκό σου το στοματάκι, αχ

Translation

My Misirlou (Egyptian girl), your sweet glance
It's lit a flame in my heart
Ah, ya habibi, Ah, ya haleli, ah
(Arabic: Oh, my love, Oh, my night)
Your lips are dripping honey, ah

Ah, Misirlou, magical, exotic beauty
Madness will overcome me, I can't take any more
Ah, I'll steal you away from the Arab land

My black-eyed, my wild Misirlou
My life changes with one kiss
Ah, ya habibi, one little kiss, ah
From your sweet little lips, ah

[this song is about a forbidden love because the Egyptian girl is muslim.]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:58:48 PM by Tamara » Logged
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 12:12:22 AM »

Dick Dale is Leboneese??? Awesome, I never would have guessed. He just looks like another big-kahuna. I love the song of his that is on Pulp Fiction. His guitar playing never gets old.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 12:14:06 AM »

Great post Tamara!

By the way, what's wrong with wearing all black clothing?  Grin Reminds me of a Depeche Mode song called 'Black Celebration'.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 12:18:32 AM »

Yea, that was something else! He also did a Depeche Mode cover which was pretty cool also. The song he did was called 'Personal Jesus,' other bands such as Marylin Manson also attempted this cover lol.

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2007, 12:36:21 AM »

Great post Tamara!

By the way, what's wrong with wearing all black clothing?  Grin Reminds me of a Depeche Mode song called 'Black Celebration'.

Nothing. I still prefer black.  Wink
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2007, 12:59:48 AM »

^^ Sweeeeeeet!   Wink  I guess I can keep wearing my black then son!

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2007, 02:32:08 AM »

you can never go wrong with black. it makes you look skiinyer!

Troparion - Tone 1:
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 07:22:57 AM »

Hey Y,

Is that Clay Aiken on your avatar???

Actually, it's Thom Yorke.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2007, 07:24:24 AM »

Absolutely. I love Cash's version even better than The Edge's.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2007, 12:09:02 PM »

...But I also love Dick Dale...surf music...I am a California girl!  Wink
Dick Dale is of Lebanese heritage and he loved to mix middle-eastern sounds into his music.

Dear Tamara,

Thanks for the recommendation and information!  Ive heard Dick Dale but never knew him by name.  I downloaded a collection of his songs to try out and will be listening to them on my roadtrip.  Seems like great roadtrip music!

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2007, 12:52:56 PM »

Dear Tamara,

Thanks for the recommendation and information!  Ive heard Dick Dale but never knew him by name.  I downloaded a collection of his songs to try out and will be listening to them on my roadtrip.  Seems like great roadtrip music!

Glad you enjoyed it. I was surprised to find out that most people who don't live on the west coast have never heard of surf music. You might also enjoy music by the Ventures and The Surfaris best known for their song, Wipeout.

Listen here: http://www.jimfacey.com/The%20Surfaris%20-%20Wipeout.mp3
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:53:30 PM by Tamara » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2007, 11:06:39 PM »

Those several Johhny Cash CD's covering all kinds of songs are great. Except he doesn't cover them, he CONVERTS them into Johnny Cash songs!

Now THAT'S the the truth! I love U2, but Johnny's got MMMMooooojoooo!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »

My Misirlou (Egyptian girl), your sweet glance
It's lit a flame in my heart
Ah, ya habibi, Ah, ya haleli, ah
(Arabic: Oh, my love, Oh, my night)
Your lips are dripping honey, ah

Yep, Misr is the Arabic name for Egypt. Also, Arab men who are close friends (that's hetero BTW  Wink ) also address each other as Ya Habibi. It can have a romantic or platonic connotation.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2007, 12:59:40 AM »

Now THAT'S the the truth! I love U2, but Johnny's got MMMMooooojoooo!

Speaking of Mr. Cash on the U2 thread, U2 did a song with the man in black on their "Zooropa" album. It is called "The Wanderer". Johnny does the vocals on the song. It is my absolute favorite song on the album! U2 and Johnny Cash were good friends. Johnny Cash was also an inspiration to depeche mode (believe it or not!).

Here is a link to U2 performing a tribute to johnny cash after he passed away. Crank your speakers up!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kF4mUq3hYyA

Here is another link to U2 covering Johnny Cash's song "Don't take your guns to town".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa9ve9kkRYU

Troparion - Tone 1:
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2007, 01:18:03 AM »

Speaking of Mr. Cash on the U2 thread, U2 did a song with the man in black on their "Zooropa" album. It is called "The Wanderer". Johnny does the vocals on the song. It is my absolute favorite song on the album! U2 and Johnny Cash were good friends. Johnny Cash was also an inspiration to depeche mode (believe it or not!).

I believe it! It's funny that some of y'all think American music lacks in comparison to European, but all of them pay tribute to the original man in black!  Wink

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2007, 01:28:01 AM »

Yep, Misr is the Arabic name for Egypt. Also, Arab men who are close friends (that's hetero BTW  Wink ) also address each other as Ya Habibi. It can have a romantic or platonic connotation.

But I think the translator should have used 'habibtay' (fem.) instead of 'habibi' (mas.).
Oh well!
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2007, 01:33:42 AM »

Hey Mr. Almuhajir, nice Talking Heads Avatar there son!

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »

Dang' son....

Check this Depeche Mode live clip out.....it's like 'synth metal' if there is such a thing!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bjduu6THUYo

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2007, 12:00:32 AM »

Here is a link to the best live performance of "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" It's live in Milan on their last tour. It's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMhLmOOc2A

Troparion - Tone 1:
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2007, 12:37:41 AM »

Here is a link to the best live performance of "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" It's live in Milan on their last tour. It's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMhLmOOc2A

I like Mr. Goodvoice's little story about how the Italians invented the movies with the first stained glass window. What a dork.  Roll Eyes But man can he sing or what! I wish I could sing like that. I'm sure my choir director just wished I could sing period.  Cheesy

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2007, 07:23:12 AM »

Wow. Far cry from "Man melts the sand so he can see himself up close." That was a rather insightful line.

OTOH, he does say, "I don't know what I'm talking about," after he tells the stained glass story. That, too, is a rather insightful line.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2007, 06:21:39 PM »

OTOH, he does say, "I don't know what I'm talking about," after he tells the stained glass story. That, too, is a rather insightful line.

It was a lot more insightful than his "jew, Jesus, mohommad its true-coexist" stuff he was spouting off.

Troparion - Tone 1:
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2007, 12:23:36 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it. I was surprised to find out that most people who don't live on the west coast have never heard of surf music. You might also enjoy music by the Ventures and The Surfaris best known for their song, Wipeout.

Guitar players know about surf music and Dick Dale and the Ventures and Surfaris. There were some east coast bands that played the same sort of instrumental rock, but the really big names were west coast.

Pipeline, Walk Don't Run, Tequilla, Wipe Out - great songs, great era
How many instrumental songs period do your hear today? - back then, in addition to Surf bands you had Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (A Taste of Honey and tons of other hits), Hugh Masakela (Grazin in the Grass), Young-Hold Unlimited, Ramsay Lewis (The In Crowd), Vince Guaraldi (Cast Your Fate to the Wind - also Charlie Brown's Christmas), Stan Getz (Girl From Ipanema), Mason Williams (Classical Gas), the Meters (Cissy Strut) and movie/broadway hits.

A great, great era for pop music - and a primer to get people into classical music and jazz.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »

It was a lot more insightful than his "jew, Jesus, mohommad its true-coexist" stuff he was spouting off.
Yea, that stuff was way over the Edge. I mean the top.  Wink I don't even think his inner sanctum of devotees bought into that silliness.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2007, 08:22:14 AM »

How many instrumental songs period do your hear today?

A lot, but I have to go looking for them. I especially enjoy Philip Glass and Tim Janis.

As far as pop/classical crossover, Josh Groban and Yo-Yo Ma have done a lot to get people interested in opera and baroque, respectively.

You're right, though. These days, when I mention Herbie Hancock or Wynton Marsalis, few have even heard them. They may recognize Miles Davis, but almost none can even name one album he did (oh, and what spectacular music he made). And it seems that lyrics are just a way to cover up that the music isn't good enough to retain people's attention for even three minutes.

One reason, though, that I love bands like U2 and the Police is that they treat the voice as an instrument. Bono's notes form a counter-melody to the Edge's riffs. And melody and counter-melody are major aspects of, you guessed it, jazz. So maybe today's pop stars are relying on politics and cultural relevance to sell albums, but yesterday's are still making real art. Judging, too, by some really artistic new acts--the Mars Volta, Of Montreal, Franz Ferdinand, the Arcade Fire, the White Stripes--there will be no shortage of those who continue the fine tradition you love.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »

Here is the trailer to the new U2 movie coming to the IMAX this fall. It is called U23D. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1mTURgcNNM

Troparion - Tone 1:
Eleos
Elder

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2007, 09:41:47 PM »

I'd be surprised if anyone hadn't heard wipeout. 

Well I wanted to say that I enjoyed Dick Dale.  As an Antiochian myself who learned how to chant listening to Antiochian brothers and sisters, I can say that it was especially pleasurable to listen to Dick Dale with his Lebanese background in mind!  I especially enjoyed some of his later recordings that I hadn't heard before that showed how amazing he is on the guitar.  Dick Dale rocks your socks off, no question.

And just to bring this entire "U2"-"Johnny Cash"-"Dick Dale" discussion full circle, I have to say that one of the more enjoyable covers that I listened to by Dick Dale on my roadtrip was none other than "Ring of Fire".  Dick Dale does a superb job at interpreting Ring of Fire, a challenge in itself, and makes it his own.  Have ya heard Dick Dale do Ring of Fire?  He also does Ghostriders in the Storm, but Ring of Fire was kickin.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »

Hugh Masakela (Grazin in the Grass), Vince Guaraldi (Cast Your Fate to the Wind - also Charlie Brown's Christmas), Stan Getz (Girl From Ipanema)
I'm all about Jazz. I have Grazin in the Grass by Boney James/Rick Braun; it's a great cd. I also have Vince Gauraldi's CB Christmas cd. The song 'Christmas Time is Here'  is a wonderful song to chill out to during the holiday season. Stan Getz' Bossa Nova is great too. It's got one of my fav songs on it; 'Chega de Saudade' (No More Blues) but I still enjoy Dizzy's version best.

Sorry OrthodoxBagpiper, didn't mean to hijack the thread...carry on. Wink

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2007, 01:29:46 AM »

I'd be surprised if anyone hadn't heard wipeout. 

And just to bring this entire "U2"-"Johnny Cash"-"Dick Dale" discussion full circle, I have to say that one of the more enjoyable covers that I listened to by Dick Dale on my roadtrip was none other than "Ring of Fire".  Dick Dale does a superb job at interpreting Ring of Fire, a challenge in itself, and makes it his own.  Have ya heard Dick Dale do Ring of Fire?  He also does Ghostriders in the Storm, but Ring of Fire was kickin.

I love that song! Dick Dale's version is fantastic...I also like Social Distortion's version of it too!
Eleos
Elder

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2007, 01:56:08 AM »

Social D's was not bad too!  But I think Dick Dales is pretty amazing.  That song is so good. 

ATTENTION CHILDREN OF ISRAEL!:
Johnny Cash should be an honorary Orthodox saint of the unmercenary type!

This man could actually become a huge help for the american priesthood and the challenges we face in the church today.

(Fr Chris, thou art a man in black, please educate me with what I need to do to start the Johnny Cash glorification process.)
thanks-in-advance-for-your-cooperation
Eleos

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »

I'm all about Jazz. I have Grazin in the Grass by Boney James/Rick Braun; it's a great cd.

Sure is. I have the same one. Theirs is a fantastic interpretation of that song (they have both an instrumental and a vocal version on the album).

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2007, 12:15:11 AM »

Social D's was not bad too!  But I think Dick Dales is pretty amazing.  That song is so good. 

ATTENTION CHILDREN OF ISRAEL!:
Johnny Cash should be an honorary Orthodox saint of the unmercenary type!

This man could actually become a huge help for the american priesthood and the challenges we face in the church today.

(Fr Chris, thou art a man in black, please educate me with what I need to do to start the Johnny Cash glorification process.)
thanks-in-advance-for-your-cooperation
Eleos

Can we add CS Lewis while we are at it?
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2007, 12:16:30 AM »

A lot, but I have to go looking for them. I especially enjoy Philip Glass and Tim Janis.

As far as pop/classical crossover, Josh Groban and Yo-Yo Ma have done a lot to get people interested in opera and baroque, respectively.

You're right, though. These days, when I mention Herbie Hancock or Wynton Marsalis, few have even heard them. They may recognize Miles Davis, but almost none can even name one album he did (oh, and what spectacular music he made). And it seems that lyrics are just a way to cover up that the music isn't good enough to retain people's attention for even three minutes.

One reason, though, that I love bands like U2 and the Police is that they treat the voice as an instrument. Bono's notes form a counter-melody to the Edge's riffs. And melody and counter-melody are major aspects of, you guessed it, jazz. So maybe today's pop stars are relying on politics and cultural relevance to sell albums, but yesterday's are still making real art. Judging, too, by some really artistic new acts--the Mars Volta, Of Montreal, Franz Ferdinand, the Arcade Fire, the White Stripes--there will be no shortage of those who continue the fine tradition you love.

Granted, there is good instrumental music out there; I was referring to the fact that in the 60's you could actually hear instrumental music on pop radio. I think it was easier to get into jazz after hearing Grazin' in the Grass or Girl From Ipanema or Wave on pop radio.

For me, my entre into jazz was Wes Montgomery (the best jazz guitarist ever) playing "Windy" on a Herb Alpert special on TV in the winter of 1968. It changed my life! Seriously, it was almost a religious experience.

BTW, I saw the Police in Cleveland in July (drove 3 hours from Pittsburgh each way). Awesome, awesome, awesome! No new CD to support, just 2 hours of eighties bliss!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:22:23 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Eleos
Elder

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2007, 12:36:37 AM »

Can we add CS Lewis while we are at it?
Yes Clive the Clever is IN!

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2007, 05:35:46 PM »

BTW, I saw the Police in Cleveland in July (drove 3 hours from Pittsburgh each way). Awesome, awesome, awesome! No new CD to support, just 2 hours of eighties bliss!!

Mr. Y and I saw the Police in St. Louis -- absolutely *wonderful* show.  Stuart Copeland is just a fantastic as ever and Sting... well... it's Sting.  Doesn't get better than that.  Even if he can't really hit any high notes anymore.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »

Mr. Y and I saw the Police in St. Louis -- absolutely *wonderful* show.  Stuart Copeland is just a fantastic as ever and Sting... well... it's Sting.  Doesn't get better than that.  Even if he can't really hit any high notes anymore.

Sting was "on" the night I heard them in Cleveland. He hit all the notes. Copeland is awesome. Sting is a much better bass player live than I ever thought he would be. And Andy Summers is a magician - of the three, he is showing his age a bit.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: