OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all you U2 fans  (Read 11089 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: June 17, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »

This is topic is for devout U2 fans. U2 as always been my absolute favorite group, to the point of being obsessive when I was younger. I love everything about their sound. I love Bono's voice and The Edge has the coolest guitar sound in the world in my opinion. No one comes close to sounding like them.

I used to play in a garage band when I was a sophmore in highschool. I would spend hours everyday playing U2 songs and trying to get my guitar to sound like the Edge's guitar; however, I could never get it to sound quite like his no matter how hard I tried or messed with the guitar effects. Back then the internet wasn't around so I couldn't find out his setup and his settings for the effects.

Anyway, I was surfing Youtube and found this video of a guy doing the stuff I used to do, and he remarkably sounds like the edge. For those of you who don't like U2, this will be cheesey, but for those of you who love U2, I think you will like this guy's rendition of Ultraviolet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYYEkFXdCY

Also, if you check out U2.com you will see that U2 has a new movie coming out for the IMAX called "U23D". It's going to be a 3D movie of their Vertigo tour.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:52:29 PM »

Here is that guy's rendition of "Where the streets have no name". He does a great job at sounding like the edge. It is very difficult to get that sound on this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBaZxozXs8&mode=related&search=

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »

U2? You gotta be kidding! They are so one dimensional.

"The Edge" is a one dimensional guitarist (he latches on to one riff, rachets up the treble and just repeats and repeats - gets on your nerves) and Bono can't get away from the same moaning vocal style and lame persona.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:10:50 PM by TomS » Logged
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:13:35 PM »

Just because someone plays a lot of notes doesn't make them a good guitar player. It gets redundant. It is how you make those notes sound. The edge says his belief is that "notes are expensive" and you have to make the most out of every note. The style of his arpaggeos and riffs as well as his effects is unique. No one else sounds like him.

Who do you like? Winger or Vanhallen??

Troparion - Tone 1:
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »

Guitar?

Anyone who can and does play J.S. Bach.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 09:57:01 PM »

He does a few more songs, too. Here's Until the End of the World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43BgYxlrkW8&mode=related&search=

The only thing I don't like is the video quality. It seems to be really choppy and I only get a very blurry picture of what he's doing. The sound is awesome, though. He actually uses the same guitars The Edge does, too. This one's an SG.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »

U2? You gotta be kidding! They are so one dimensional.

"The Edge" is a one dimensional guitarist (he latches on to one riff, rachets up the treble and just repeats and repeats - gets on your nerves) and Bono can't get away from the same moaning vocal style and lame persona.

Wrong!
I have my favorite guitarists from Wes Montgomery to Jimi Hendrix, Bill Frisell to Andy Summers, Joe Pass to Stevie Ray
Vaughn, and Tuck Andress to John Mayer. The Edge is a VERY original player and has contributed greatly to the much neglected ART of accompaniment - aka rhythm guitar playing, along with the manipulation of effects.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:43:44 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 11:43:20 PM »

Guitar?

Anyone who can and does play J.S. Bach.

There are plenty who can, such as Christopher Parkening (who is a devout Christian), Benjamin Verdery, Sharon Isbin, and many, many others. Classical guitar is wonderful and I have ther utmost respect for fine classical guitarists.

I have equal respect for accomplished jazz guitarists because that genre is every bit as difficult as classical music and it has been said by Wynton Marsallis and others that jazz is America's classical music.

But I also have a great love for folk music, as did many of the great classical composers (Bartok comes immediately to mind). Rock music is basically folk music, especially popular radio pop music. The Edge is a great folk musician, in that extended sense.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 12:32:35 AM »

I don't know if it is just me, or if anyone else has picked up on how truly celtic U2's music is. Drones are constantly used in celtic music. The Edge is the king of drones. I think this is one of the things that I like about Byzantie Music is the Drone (Eson, I still call it a drone to the annoyance of the choir director  Grin). The drones are also my favorite things about the Bagpipes. To me they bring about a spiritual feeling.

Troparion - Tone 1:
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »

I've loved U2 since their 1980 release BOY. Of coarse, I didn't discover them until 5 years later with The Unforgettable Fire. Musically speaking, I'm very eclectic, but U2 has consistently remained at the top. And while I find Bono's antics a little too self-righteous at times, when the music starts all that no longer matters. As for The Edge being the best guitar player? I honestly don't think there is such a thing. I agree with BrotherAidan:

The Edge is a VERY original player and has contributed greatly to the much neglected ART of accompaniment - aka rhythm guitar playing, along with the manipulation of effects.

The Edge OWNS the sound he created and perfected. People who listen to U2 (and even some who don't) know it when they hear it. Same thing with Bono's voice. Yes, he tends to moan a bit, but that's like saying Frank Sinatra tends to croon a bit. It's not one dimensional, it's their style. As for Larry Mullen Jr and Adam Clayton? Well, to use another analogy, Seinfeld might work with Jerry, Alistair, Bobby, and Francesca, but it wouldn't be the same. Wink

If someone doesn't at least appreciate U2, all I can say is, we're *north and south of the river* Wink
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:37:41 AM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:37:09 PM »

And while I find Bono's antics a little too self-righteous at times, when the music starts all that no longer matters.

Indeed. "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true"? Yeah, even I found that one cheesy. I must say, though, that there is something celestial about "Where the Streets Have No Name" live. There's something about the sound that no recording can capture. That song is worth the entire price of the ticket (all $200+).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 06:59:18 PM »

The edge says his belief is that "notes are expensive" and you have to make the most out of every note.

There is a difference between making use of a note and using that note over and over and over and over and over and over, until it grates on your nerves. He is the Dr. Suess of music!

"Notes are expensive", sheesh. Thank god Shakespeare did not abide to this type of stupidity!

I guess I am spoiled. By growing up in the 60's and early 70's when musicians were creating new sounds, I have no patience with the hugely mediocre musicians of today who are held up as geniuses.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 07:01:51 PM by TomS » Logged
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »

If you love U2 so much, maybe you should attend U2Charist liturgies offered by the Episcopal church:

http://www.stgeorgesyorkharbor.org/U2%20Eucharists/u2charists.html

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_06044us.shtml

Shocked

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »

If you love U2 so much, maybe you should attend U2Charist liturgies offered by the Episcopal church:
Don't love 'em that much.

There is a difference between making use of a note and using that note over and over and over and over and over and over, until it grates on your nerves. He is the Dr. Suess of music!

TomS won't listen to U2 songs,
he hates them like he hates Mah Jongs,
He will not listen to them in a box,
He will not listen to them by a fox,
TomS is mystified by all those throngs
who come to listen to U2 songs!

TomS prefers those far out licks
that come from bands like Cream and Styxx,
Thing 1, Thing 2, turn it up to eleven,
these are the sounds TomS calls heaven!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 10:17:09 PM »

TomS won't listen to U2 songs,
he hates them like he hates Mah Jongs,
He will not listen to them in a box,
He will not listen to them by a fox,
TomS is mystified by all those throngs
who come to listen to U2 songs!

TomS prefers those far out licks
that come from bands like Cream and Styxx,
Thing 1, Thing 2, turn it up to eleven,
these are the sounds TomS calls heaven!

Not too shabby!   Cheesy

Although the time of Styxx and Journey is when popular music jumped the shark!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 10:42:35 PM »

Not too shabby!   Cheesy
Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto! Wink I actually like some of the 60's and 70's rock n roll, including Journey.

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 11:29:46 PM »

U2 is obviously a mega-band, extremely well known.
It would be interesting to hear about peoples more obscure favorites, both past and present.
I have been a huge Bruce Cockburn (Koe-burn) fan most of my adult life, for example. Although not un-known, I have even talked to Canadians who don't know about him (and he is Canadian).
I also like Leni Stern (Leenie - female German expatriate in NYC, married to fusion guitarist, Mike Stern) and the Wood Brothers (one of whom is also not un-known, being part of the trio, Martin, Medeski and Wood).
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 12:26:49 AM »

I would dare to say that U2 are the Beatles of today (except much much better  Kiss)

I agree with you Y,

There is nothing like hearing "Where the streets have no name" live in concert. I can't explain it, but it makes me want to worship God. I feel like my Nous rises every time I hear it. This does not, however, constitute U2 Eucharistic services. I will say it is interesting that U2 is the group chosen by these weirdos to have a Eucharistic service to.

Imagine this: Bono as a cantor in the Orthodox church. It would be such a beautiful thing!

Another side note, Bono's real name is Paul and the Edge's real name is David.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 12:32:10 AM »

BTW---

Does anyone know if U2 has ever toured Romania?? I would think it would be doubtful because the price of one of their tickets would be like 2 years of wages in Romania.

I have seen U2 4 times in concert. The first time was in 1992 on the ZOO TV tour. Tickets cost $65 then. The next time I saw them was in 1997 on the POPMART tour. Tickets ran $85+. I then saw them twice on the Elevation tour. Tickets were $150+. The tickets I got off of ebay were $750. (luckily I didn't have to pay for them, but I wont go into the details on that one).

Have any of you seen U2??

Troparion - Tone 1:
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 01:20:22 AM »

I saw them in 1987 for the Joshua Tree tour, what a show.  I saw them again a few years a go.

Imagine this: Bono as a cantor in the Orthodox church. It would be such a beautiful thing!
It would be a moving service, do you think he would run around in the church during liturgy and flirt with the ladies?  I think so. 

Hmm, if I could pick a 80s pop icon to chant, it'd have to be DAVID BYRNE!!!  Heck, you could even just substitute some Talking Heads rhythm/melodies.  Imagine "Once in a lifetime" but with an Ison and Stichera for lyrics!

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 08:24:07 AM »

I would dare to say that U2 are the Beatles of today (except much much better  Kiss)

Dude. Careful. Blashpemy is a serious matter in the Church of Rock and Roll  Angry

And my son would disagree with you - he says that Radiohead is much more talented.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »

Just because someone plays a lot of notes doesn't make them a good guitar player. It gets redundant. It is how you make those notes sound. The edge says his belief is that "notes are expensive" and you have to make the most out of every note. The style of his arpaggeos and riffs as well as his effects is unique. No one else sounds like him.

I actually agree with TomS on this one.  While I dig U2 and their music, I really have to balk at descriptions of The Edge as a great guitar player.  He's unique, but uniqueness does not necessarily mean greatness.  One dimension is still one dimension.  Don't get me wrong...the man can write a song.  I just find his execution of that song to be poor.

Who do you like? Winger or Vanhallen??

Kip Winger is actually a bass player, but that's beside the point.

As a guitar player myself, I prefer Richie Blackmore, Adrian Smith, and Rick Nielsen.  Each of them are far from one dimensional (esp. Blackmore!) AND they're all incredible songwriters in the rock genre.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:18:46 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
jlerms
High Elder

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 09:45:19 AM »

I actually saw U2 on their Boy tour when I was just out of highschool.  They played at a VERY small club in Austin where I was one of about 40 people who came to the show.  I went because I loved the song "Gloria" (and still do) and I could tell then that they would become famous.  Their songs are catchy and have decent lyrics; however the Edge is NO "master" at the guitar.  He has a definite style all his own but he could not rival many other guitarists even in the rock genre ( Page, Hendricks, Townsend, etc.)

ps.  I agree with TomS's son about Radiohead....for originality!

Juliana
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »

however the Edge is NO "master" at the guitar.  He has a definite style all his own but he could not rival many other guitarists even in the rock genre ( Page, Hendricks, Townsend, etc.)

Juliana

Sorry folks, the Edge is just NOT that type of guitar player.

May I shout for just a moment, because this (not just you Juliana, but several of the last couple posts) makes me want to scream:
THERE IS MORE TO GUITAR PLAYING THAN LEAD GUITAR AND SOLOING!

Ahem, okay, now I'm calm.

I repeat myself: there is the forgotten art of rhythm guitar and accompaniment.

My opinion is that if you can't comp (a jazz term, look it up) for a singer (whether jazz, folk, rock or funk) you can't play.

The Edge can definitely back a singer, especially one singer!  In fact one cannot imagine U2 songs without those guitar parts.

Now, I am not dissing many of the great guitar players many of you have mentioned because they are great soloists and can also play rhythm, but not all great guitarists were/are lead players: consider Freddie Green, Jimmy Nolen, Curtis Mayfield, Avi Bortnick, Andy Summers, James Taylor, Tuck Andress, to name a few - all masters of rhythm guitar or guitar accompaniment.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:21:22 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 10:40:05 PM »

Brotha' Aiden,

Excellent observation. I whole heartedly agree with you. There is an art to guitar accompaniment. I have heard The Edge's style referred to as a "lead rhythm". It isn't exactly lead but it isn't completely rhythm: it's a lead rhythm.

I honestly don't know who uses effects the way the edge does. Have you ever heard anyone who uses them like The Edge?? He also makes arpeggios and harmonics sound really cool. The beginning of "Where the streets have no name" is basically an arpeggio. Sunday bloody sunday, Pride in the name of love, and wire are just a few of his songs that have awesome sounding harmonics.

On another side note, I read in the last edition of Rolling Stone magazine that The Edge was selling his Cream 1976 Gibson Les Paul in a charity auction. I think it went for $68,000 which I really don't think is that much given all of the tours and albums The Edge has used it on. I would love to have that guitar!! I'm sad to see The Edge get rid of it. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:40:37 PM by Orthodox Bagpiper » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 10:48:57 PM »

I honestly don't know who uses effects the way the edge does. Have you ever heard anyone who uses them like The Edge??

Sheesh. I hope you are wearing knee pads.  Cheesy

Tell the truth; you are a 15 year old girl, right?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:50:04 PM by TomS » Logged
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 11:11:18 PM »

heesh. I hope you are wearing knee pads.  Cheesy

Tell the truth; you are a 15 year old girl, right?

Ha Ha Ha  Cheesy

I have been known to be a little gitty about U2.

When I was in highschool, My room was covered in U2 Posters. I'm not as bad (or compulsive about U2) as I used to be, but they will always be in my heart!

It would be a moving service, do you think he would run around in the church during liturgy and flirt with the ladies?  I think so.

Hmm, if I could pick a 80s pop icon to chant, it'd have to be DAVID BYRNE!!!  Heck, you could even just substitute some Talking Heads rhythm/melodies.  Imagine "Once in a lifetime" but with an Ison and Stichera for lyrics!

You know, another guy who I think would make an AWESOME cantor in the Orthodox church (and I mean this guy has the PERFECT voice for Orthodox chanting) is Dave Gahan, Depeche Mode's singer. He has the best baritone voice I have ever heard.

Troparion - Tone 1:
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 01:48:08 AM »

As a guitar player myself, I prefer Richie Blackmore, Adrian Smith, and Rick Nielsen.  Each of them are far from one dimensional (esp. Blackmore!) AND they're all incredible songwriters in the rock genre.

Is the Adrian Smith you mention here the same guy from Iron Maiden? If so, that's friggin' awesome!

UP THE IRONS!  Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 02:18:39 AM »

You know, another guy who I think would make an AWESOME cantor in the Orthodox church (and I mean this guy has the PERFECT voice for Orthodox chanting) is Dave Gahan, Depeche Mode's singer. He has the best baritone voice I have ever heard.

I totally agree, Depeche Mode has to be one of the most unique bands that I have ever heard and also my favorite along with U2. I can't think of another band that even comes close to what DM does, and the ones that were kind of in the same genre pretty much didn't make it past the 80's. They are still making quality albums after being around for almost 30 years & DM is still just about the biggest thing in Europe and many other countries along with U2 of course.. Grin 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 02:40:21 AM »

Nacho,

As much as I enjoy watching "to catch a predator", your avatar is creepy. Wink

Mabey you should replace it with Bono or Dave Gahan???

Troparion - Tone 1:
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 03:19:22 AM »

Nacho,

As much as I enjoy watching "to catch a predator", your avatar is creepy. Wink

Mabey you should replace it with Bono or Dave Gahan???

You do have to admit that it's pretty funny though. It's a big hit over at a bodybuilding forum that I frequent and everyone jokes about it in the threads there. I'll probably change it soon.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 06:40:08 AM »

My opinion is that if you can't comp (a jazz term, look it up) for a singer (whether jazz, folk, rock or funk) you can't play.

Indeed. At the Protestant church I went to years ago, the pianist was Dino Kartsonakis (I'm not making this up). He's a really talented musician, but he would throw so many extra notes around the melody that he would throw the rhythm off and the choir wouldn't be able to keep up. Eventually the choir started singing their "special music" without him and only used him for the hymns.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »

They are still making quality albums after being around for almost 30 years & DM is still just about the biggest thing in Europe and many other countries along with U2 of course.. Grin 

In Europe? Along with electronic dance music? And you consider this positive? European music is crap.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 08:48:31 AM »

You do have to admit that it's pretty funny though.

Sorry, but No, it is not.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »

Is the Adrian Smith you mention here the same guy from Iron Maiden? If so, that's friggin' awesome!

UP THE IRONS!  Grin

Yes, indeed he is.  "The Prisoner" is the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 09:37:20 AM »

In Europe? Along with electronic dance music? And you consider this positive? European music is crap.

Don't even know what you are talking about son. How can you even compare electronic dance music to Depeche Mode. It's also funny how allot of guitar driven bands such as Korn & Deftones name DM as influental to name a few. I think Europeans have much better taste in music than the crap most Americans listen to..(example would the be popularity of stupid EMO bands with no musical talent)

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »

Don't even know what you are talking about son. How can you even compare electronic dance music to Depeche Mode. It's also funny how allot of guitar driven bands such as Korn & Deftones name DM as influental to name a few. I think Europeans have much better taste in music than the crap most Americans listen to..(example would the be popularity of stupid EMO bands with no musical talent)

I was never a fan of Depeche Mode (in high school I referred to them as "Flush DeCommode") but my wife really likes them.  She played a bootleg live cd she had of David Gahan doing an entire set of DM songs acoustically and I really enjoyed it.  After hearing that, I could really appreciate the songwriting that went into DM songs even if I don't really like the execution via electronica.

And I have to agree with Nacho.  Europeans have far better taste in music, at least rock music, than Americans and are definitely more appreciative of the bands who come to play live.  I have a number of friends whose small punk rock bands have gone to tour Europe and were treated like kings vis-a-vis how they're received in even their own hometowns.  The American music-listening public is jaded and has a huge sense of entitlement that you just don't find elsewhere.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »

And I have to agree with Nacho.  Europeans have far better taste in music,

I agree as well. Americans rather listen to Justin Timberlake and Jessica Simpson than any quality music. We are also spoon fed what we listen too by the radio stations which are owned by monopolies. It doesn't matter what state or city you are in, it is the same crap on the radio. The airwaves have been "walmartized".

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 11:31:22 AM »

Someone was talking about more obscure bands. I don't know if any of you have listened to "James", but they are one of my all time favorites. In europe they are huge and have a cult following. I was suprised to hear them on the radio all the time when I was in london; in fact, the radio actually had good music on it while I was over there, it was amazing!

Troparion - Tone 1:
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

Yes, indeed he is.  "The Prisoner" is the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place Smiley

Prisoner is a good song, but I always thought Adrian's signature lick and best guitar solos were what he did on Somewhere in Time with "Wasted Years" and "Stranger in a Strange Land."  But hey, whatever works for you. 

I was inspired to pick up bass by hearing Geddy Lee on "Tom Sawyer" which is hardly Rush's finest.  To each his own.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 01:41:41 PM »

Prisoner is a good song, but I always thought Adrian's signature lick and best guitar solos were what he did on Somewhere in Time with "Wasted Years" and "Stranger in a Strange Land."  But hey, whatever works for you. 

Well, I first picked up guitar a couple of years before Somewhere in Time came out!

But you are definitely right..."Wasted Years" has it all Smiley

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »

Well, I first picked up guitar a couple of years before Somewhere in Time came out!

But you are definitely right..."Wasted Years" has it all Smiley

Rock on, my friend.  Rock on!

UP THE IRONS!

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »

And I have to agree with Nacho.  Europeans have far better taste in music, at least rock music, than Americans and are definitely more appreciative of the bands who come to play live. The American music-listening public is jaded and has a huge sense of entitlement that you just don't find elsewhere.

Even the hard rock, heavy metal coming out of Europe is 1000x way better than what the Linkin' Parks, Nickelbacks et al are dishing out by the barrelful on the radio.  American radio, once the beacon of liberty and no-holds-barred, is now a slave to corporate music.  We had an independent radio station in college and would play what we WANTED to play.  Still, people always called in and wanted to hear what they had just heard on another generic radio station. 

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2007, 05:25:26 PM »

Hey Y,

Is that Clay Aiken on your avatar???

Troparion - Tone 1:
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2007, 06:12:50 PM »

I was never a fan of Depeche Mode (in high school I referred to them as "Flush DeCommode") but my wife really likes them.  She played a bootleg live cd she had of David Gahan doing an entire set of DM songs acoustically and I really enjoyed it.  After hearing that, I could really appreciate the songwriting that went into DM songs even if I don't really like the execution via electronica.

And I have to agree with Nacho.  Europeans have far better taste in music, at least rock music, than Americans and are definitely more appreciative of the bands who come to play live.  I have a number of friends whose small punk rock bands have gone to tour Europe and were treated like kings vis-a-vis how they're received in even their own hometowns.  The American music-listening public is jaded and has a huge sense of entitlement that you just don't find elsewhere.

Thanks for backing me up son! In regards to Depeche Mode, there is something so moving with the way they arrange thier music and the lyrics are also quite deep. I think Martin Gore of Depeche Mode is one of the better lyricist out there. I just can't think of any other band that has done anything like them. They are a unique assortment & blend of cutting edge synths, guitar, and other various instruments. They will also literally 'experiment' with any sound and try to incorporate it into a song if it sounds good. I think they spend twice as much time making an album than your average guitar driven band (so much easier & simplistic!) because so much more goes into how they make thier music sound.  Each album they have produced also sounds quite different from the last, truely making them pioneers of what they do. It's nice to see that they have been around for almost 30 years making good music and still one of the most popular bands around, especially in Europe and latin America. 

Even the hard rock, heavy metal coming out of Europe is 1000x way better than what the Linkin' Parks, Nickelbacks et al are dishing out by the barrelful on the radio.  American radio, once the beacon of liberty and no-holds-barred, is now a slave to corporate music.  We had an independent radio station in college and would play what we WANTED to play.  Still, people always called in and wanted to hear what they had just heard on another generic radio station.

Yea, there is like a mass 'stupidity' going around in this country and it's really annoying. Everything from the crappy music, MTV, reality shows, myspace, people constantly talking on their cell phones etc.... Roll Eyes I guess the crappy music today is just a byproduct of all these mindless MTV worshipping drones. Things were so much better in the 80's & early 90's when good music was still being played and promoted on the radio. Great bands like Depeche Mode, INXS, U2, The Cure, & ColdPlay to name a few are replaced with the garbage that fills the airwaves today thanks to all the mindless tools in our society.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: