OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:41:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesbian sues, says the word 'marriage' is "hate speech"  (Read 2916 times) Average Rating: 0
Serbian Patriot

« on: June 14, 2007, 06:31:54 AM »

The words "natural family," "marriage" and "union of a man and a woman" can be punished as "hate speech" in government workplaces, according to a lawsuit that is being appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Briefs for Good News Employee Association vs. Hicks, which were filed June 5 with the nation's highest court, lists D.C. school board President Robert C. Bobb as one of two plaintiffs. The case originated five years ago in Oakland, Calif., during his tenure there as city manager.
The dispute began in January 2003, when the two Oakland employees created a subgroup at their workplace called the "Good News Employee Association." It was partly in response to a group of homosexual employees having formed their own group 10 months before and being given access to the city e-mail system. One e-mail, dated Oct. 11, 2002, invited city employees to participate in "National Coming-Out Day."
When several employees asked whether such a posting was legitimate city business, they got an e-mail from City Council member Danny Wan, reminding them that a "celebration of the gay/lesbian culture and movement" was part of the city's role to "celebrate diversity."
In response, the Good News employees posted an introductory flier on the employee bulletin board Jan. 3.
It said: "Preserve Our Workplace With Integrity: Good News Employee Association is a forum for people of faith to express their views on the contemporary issues of the day." It said it opposed "all views which seek to redefine the natural family and marriage," which it defined as "a union of a man and a woman, according to California state law."
Anyone who wanted to help preserve "integrity in the workplace" was invited to contact the two employees: Regina Rederford and Robin Christy.
A lesbian co-worker, Judith Jennings, spotted the flier and complained to the city attorney's office that it made her feel "targeted" and "excluded," according to a deposition. The flier was removed by a supervisor because it violated the city's anti-discrimination rules.
A U.S. District Court for Northern California ruling said the words "natural family" and "marriage" had "anti-homosexual import."
However, Miss Rederford was told she could announce the group's presence on the city's e-mail system if she removed "verbiage that could be offensive to gay people."
In late February 2003, Joyce Hicks, a city deputy executive director and the other defendant in the suit, sent out a memo to city employees. It cited recent incidents where "fliers were placed in public view which contained statements of a homophobic nature" and warned employees they could be fired for posting such material.
Miss Rederford and Miss Christy sued the city, claiming their First Amendment rights had been violated. According to court documents, employees had posted bulletin announcements on everything from terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden to local sporting events, yet those had not been removed.
The district court disagreed, saying the women had other venues in which to proclaim their message. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said employees' freedom of speech takes a back seat to employers' "legitimate administrative interests." They were allowed to submit a new flier, subject to "certain editorial constraints."
"This incredible and devastating ruling has had the practical effect of silencing hundreds, if not thousands, of City of Oakland employees who simply wish to talk about marriage and family values," said a statement from the Pro-Family Law Center in Temecula, Calif., which represents the plaintiffs.
"To the extent that this ruling has been shared by Oakland with other cities, there is a huge risk that these rulings are being treated as precedent by other cities across the nation," the statement continued.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070610-111445-6957r.htm

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:44:47 AM »

Well, it IS the wacky and woolly Ninth Circuit. I can't imagine the Supreme Court letting this ruling stand. How utterly ridiculous. "Gay" fascism at its most ugly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 08:45:11 AM by lubeltri » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »

Ridiculous...

It was only recently that a homosexual pub here in Sydney was granted the right to bar heterosexuals from entrance. Obviously I could not give a hoot about any heteresoexual who would want to attend a gay bar in the first place, but it's a matter of principle. Homosexual rights advocates would obviously be in an uproar if any bar tried to enforce a converse restriction on homosexuals.

Truly we are living in the days of madness prophesied by the great St. Antony.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 02:10:07 PM »

Ridiculous...

It was only recently that a homosexual pub here in Sydney was granted the right to bar heterosexuals from entrance. Obviously I could not give a hoot about any heteresoexual who would want to attend a gay bar in the first place, but it's a matter of principle. Homosexual rights advocates would obviously be in an uproar if any bar tried to enforce a converse restriction on homosexuals.

Truly we are living in the days of madness prophesied by the great St. Antony.

Exactly.  What hypocrites.

What about speech that is offensive to straight people?   Roll Eyes
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 03:15:23 PM »

So the far left continues it's war against 'normals'.......

In other news today...the Pope declared himself Catholic and the Sun rose in the east & will set in the west... Roll Eyes

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 04:12:42 PM »

The words "natural family," "marriage" and "union of a man and a woman" can be punished as "hate speech" in government workplaces, according to a lawsuit that is being appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Just plain silly.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Pravoslavije-gal

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:23:34 AM »

Homosexuality is just another tool satan uses to keep people away from christ.

Same sex relationships are totally forbidden by god

From saint Paul who clearly tells us that homosexuals will not enter the kingdom of god,to many great saints and holy fathers of the church.

As orthodox we must stand firm in the traditions of the apostles and christ and oppose all forms of same-sex behaviour.

Many ex-homosexuals have left the lifestyle to join with christ.

Satan will do anything to undermine the family unit and this is just another tool he has against christ.

The apostle Paul listed homosexuals among "the unrighteous" who would not inherit the kingdom of God <1 Cor. 6:9>, and declared that God's wrath stands against such behavior, whether practiced by men or women <Rom. 1:26-27>.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:15:12 PM »

Satan will do anything to undermine the family unit and this is just another tool he has against christ.

Here here! Enough of this modernism! In fact, let's go back to the days of 13 year old virgin females having their marriages arranged (whether they were ok with the marriage or not). Do modern people think that they are better than the saints of old, than the Christians of the Apostolic period? I think not! The "family unit" operated just fine under such a system for thousands of years... and now we do this despicable "dating" stuff, and actually let people choose their mates! What perversion! The Fathers were very clear about how sinful disobedience to parents is. If we say they should marry so-and-so, that should be what happens. They're just lucky we don't stone em like God let the mixed multitude of the Old Testament do.

[Note--the above is intended to be a joke--an exaggerated response to a similarly exgerrated post, which I also think is a joke, albet an unintended one).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:18:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »

Not a funny joke.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »

Exactly.

authio
Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:14:28 PM by authiodionitist » Logged

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
EricTheRed
aka Mercurius

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 11:33:05 PM »

Well...that does not seem so bad actually. I would be married already...weird....but kinda cool

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: