OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:33:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope changes rules for papal elections  (Read 1301 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: June 26, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »

Wow, this was out of the blue.

Pope changes rules for papal elections

By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer Tue Jun 26, 9:10 AM ET

VATICAN CITY - Pope Benedict XVI has changed the rules for electing a new pope, returning to the traditional requirement that two-thirds of the cardinals in the conclave agree on a candidate, the Vatican said Tuesday.

Pope John Paul II had altered the voting process in 1996, allowing the pope to be chosen by an absolute majority if the cardinals were unable to agree after several days of balloting in which a two-thirds majority was needed.

In a document released Tuesday, Benedict said he was returning to the traditional voting norm, essentially reversing John Paul's reform of the centuries-old process.

The brief document, written in Latin, was dated June 11 and signed by Benedict.

Benedict, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, was elected pope on April 19, 2005 in one of the fastest conclaves in modern history. He reportedly was elected after four ballots, with 84 of the 115 votes.

In the document, Benedict explained that John Paul had received a number of requests to return to the former system after he issued his 1996 document, Universi Dominici Gregis, outlining the rules for a conclave.

Analysts had noted that the original two-thirds requirement had served as an incentive to compromise or find a new candidate in the event of a deadlock.

But with John Paul's new rules, the majority bloc in a conclave could push a candidate through by simply holding tight until the balloting shifted from the two-thirds requirement to an absolute majority.

"It would seem that Pope Benedict wants to ensure that whoever is elected pope enjoys the greatest possible consensus," said the Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi.

John Paul instituted the simple majority in part to avoid a deadlock like the one in the 13th century, when negotiations over choosing a new pope lasted three years. Angry locals in Viterbo north of Rome, where the conclave was being held, removed the roof of the cardinals' meeting hall and threatened to slash food rations unless they picked a winner.

In 1623, eight cardinals died of malaria during a midsummer conclave in Rome that lasted 19 days.

Benedict's document, called a "motu proprio" was something of a surprise. In fact, the main criticism of the Vatican's voting process to date has concerned the exclusion of cardinals over age 80 from the balloting.

Benedict, who turned 80 in April, however, maintained that requirement.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:47:54 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »

Imagine that - a pope returning to a tradition, at least one of theirs.

What next?!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:03:06 PM »

Imagine that - a pope returning to a tradition, at least one of theirs.

What next?!

Rejection of innovations such as papal supremacy, filioque and immaculate conception!  It could happen! 

And I'm a size 4!  Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:19:19 PM »

And I bought a winning lottery ticket last night!

Rejection of innovations such as papal supremacy, filioque and immaculate conception!  It could happen! 

And I'm a size 4!  Grin

Amazing... it could be that simple... Undecided
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:19:40 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:41:16 PM »

You know, although he hasn't been pope long, I am beginning to really like Benedict. He seems to have a real Orthodox sense of holiness, that tradition is not something to be changed or dismissed when it's inconvenient but that it keeps us doing what will save us and keeps us from what will not. I look forward to many more reversals such as this. May God grant him many years.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:57:01 PM »

And I bought a winning lottery ticket last night!
So said Bruce Vaughan, a golfer on the USGA Champions Tour, after he nailed his second hole-in-one in two days.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/6968382

Okay, I digress.  Back to the topic...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:58:01 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 12:43:52 AM »

You know, although he hasn't been pope long, I am beginning to really like Benedict. He seems to have a real Orthodox sense of holiness, that tradition is not something to be changed or dismissed when it's inconvenient but that it keeps us doing what will save us and keeps us from what will not. I look forward to many more reversals such as this.

Another is coming very soon. There are now firm reports that the motu proprio liberating the traditional Roman rite according to the 1962 missal will be released publicly on July 7. This week, Benedict called 30 bishops from across the world to Rome to show them the document and discuss it.

I agree with you about Benedict. Did you know that he is as knowledgeable about Eastern theology as probably any pope ever before him? I thank God for giving us such a brilliant and pious Holy Father.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »

You know, although he hasn't been pope long, I am beginning to really like Benedict. He seems to have a real Orthodox sense of holiness, that tradition is not something to be changed or dismissed when it's inconvenient but that it keeps us doing what will save us and keeps us from what will not. I look forward to many more reversals such as this. May God grant him many years.

I think that may be the advantage of being an elderly Pope, with a good Theological background, and probably a shorter reign as Pope.  Historically these are the Popes who impact the Roman Catholic Church the most. IHO, their eye is more to eternity than to politics.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: