OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 12:38:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO Fathers and Commentary on Scripture  (Read 934 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: June 14, 2007, 07:08:28 PM »

I went through the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series descriptions online, and I found that these include fathers even from the Nestorian side (like Theodore of Mopsuestia and Theodoret of Cyr).  A small number of them contain some commentaries by Philoxenus of Mabbug.  I find it a nice collection of a full view of all the fathers of all regions (at least those that they have records of).

My question is do we OO's have more ancient commentaries from anti-Chalcedonian fathers that may be available, or might be available in the future?

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:56:40 PM »

Dear Mina,

I have the entire ACC series at home. They give excerpts from St. Severus of Antioch's Cathedral Homilies as well.

I've spoken to a number of scholars on the subject of your inquiry given that I hope to be able to release a surprise publication with the help of a few friends, within the next few years hopefully.

It appears that there is a wealth of commentaries that exist in extant manuscripts in museums and libraries all over the world. Many of these have been edited; however, such editions have been published either in their original language (Syriac, Coptic, Arabic, Armenian etc.) or in french or german translations. Nevertheless, there have been a few that have made it into english, such as for example, St. Philoxenus of Mabbug's Commentary on Matthew and Luke (Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium 171-2 (vol. 172 is the translation), 1978), edited and translated by J.W. Watt. This is not a translation of the entire commentary however, since only fragments of that one survive in the first place. Additionally, Prof. Michael Papazian has edited and translated St. Step'annos Siwnec'i's Commentary on the Four Gospels (St. Step'annos is a great Armenian Orthodox Saint of the 7th-8th century). From my correspondence with a certain Armenian Orthodox scholar, it seems that this english edition is currently in press and is hence due for release very soon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:22:55 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »

Thats awesome.  Can't wait!

Is this going to be part of the Oriental Orthodox Library Productions with Fr. Subdeacon Peter Theodore?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 02:16:45 PM »

I haven't had any correspondence with him regarding St. Step'annos' commentary; I don't even know if he is aware that it's coming out.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:24:40 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tags: Oriental Orthodox  Commentary  Bible  Scripture Canon of scriptures 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: