OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 10:28:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help: Orthodox parishes around Boston with lively fellowship?  (Read 800 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: June 10, 2007, 11:57:53 PM »

I don't start many topics here, but I thought I'd ask you for some advice.

I have a good friend, Irene, who is Greek Orthodox. She has to travel a lot for her job, so sometimes she is not in town. She has been going to a Greek Orthodox parish here in Boston as well as occasionally going to an Evangelical church (Park Street Church; it's officially Congregational but basically draws droves of student and 20-something "nondenom" Evangelicals). It's my brother's church, and she and I have quite a few friends there and hang out together with them often (I've gone to a service at Park Street a couple times before; never in place of mass, of course). Irene also attends some of the prayer/fellowship gatherings (called "Cafe") on Tuesday and Friday nights.

I was talking with her today on Boston Common, where Park Street had its annual picnic (the church building overlooks the Common). Basically, because she is busy at work and can't go to both all the time, she's decided to start going to services at Park Street full-time instead of her Greek Orthodox church. The problem, she says, is that Orthodox parishes around are full of white heads and have no fellowship or lively social life. She said she really needs that fellowship with other young Christians that her parish simply doesn't offer her. It's basically dead, she says.

Now, I'm blessed to go to one of several Catholic churches in the city full of students and young people and an active parish life. I feel bad that she doesn't have that at her parish, but I wouldn't want her to give up the Divine Liturgy and Eucharist for this. Park Street is a very nice church as Evangelical churches go, and it is full of life, but it is not still not part of the Church of the apostles and does not offer the sacred mysteries. I wouldn't want Irene to end up there and drift away from the Church.

Does anyone know of an Orthodox parish in or around Boston with a sizeable number of young people and an active parish life? 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:02:29 AM by lubeltri » Logged
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:11:12 AM »

There are plenty of Greek parishes in Boston with an extremely active social life, OCF, and/or YAL groups.

I'd first go to Taxiarchae Parish in Watertown (where I was a pastoral assistant for part of my senior year). There's always stuff going on there.

Secondly, St. Athanasios (formerly in Arlington; however, they bought a former Catholic parish down the road, and I'm not sure if this new home is in Arlington or Lexington) also has an active social life.

Finally, the Seminary is in Brookline...yeah, if she wante dot hang around a lot of folks looking to do things, she can find it there.

Sheesh! Your friend Irene needs to get out more!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:42:37 AM »

Perhaps she doesn't know of these places because they are pretty far from her (she lives in East Boston, almost to Revere, and doesn't own a car).

Speaking of Orthodox places in Brookline, I thought of doing a retreat for a weekend at Holy Transfiguration monastery sometime soon. Someone I met recommended it highly. I used to work only several blocks from it.
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 02:01:56 AM »

Perhaps she doesn't know of these places because they are pretty far from her (she lives in East Boston, almost to Revere, and doesn't own a car).

Speaking of Orthodox places in Brookline, I thought of doing a retreat for a weekend at Holy Transfiguration monastery sometime soon. Someone I met recommended it highly. I used to work only several blocks from it.

Lubeltri,

You can have your friend go to this site: http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org/sr2_0_0/locator.php
She can type in a city and state name to see what Orthodox Churches are close to her. There may be Orthodox churches in other jurisdictions in her area which have active young adult groups.

sincerely, Tamara

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »

I would certainly echo Fr Chris' suggestions - they are all active parishes with good priests and good youth and young adult programs.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: