OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 07:34:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corpus Christi Sunday in the Catholic Church  (Read 6566 times) Average Rating: 0
rosborn

Searching for home

« on: June 09, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »

Tomorrow is Corpus Christi Sunday in the Catholic Church (i.e the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ).  By any chance does the Orthodox Church have a similar celebration/solemnity tomorrow?

Just curious.

Rob
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »

Not to my knowledge, but I'm just a wild and crazy Latin...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »

Tomorrow is Corpus Christi Sunday in the Catholic Church (i.e the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ).  By any chance does the Orthodox Church have a similar celebration/solemnity tomorrow?

Just curious.

Rob
No.  On the second Sunday after Pentecost when the Western churches celebrate Corpus Christi, every Eastern church commemorates all of its particular regional saints (e.g., Sunday of All Saints of [fill-in-your-region]--Russia for the Russians, Greece for the Greeks, North America for the North Americans) as kinduva continuation of the Sunday of All Saints that we celebrated the previous Sunday.  I'm not aware that we have such a day devoted especially to the Body and Blood of Christ.
rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »

No.  On the second Sunday after Pentecost when the Western churches celebrate Corpus Christi, every Eastern church commemorates all of its particular regional saints (e.g., Sunday of All Saints of [fill-in-your-region]--Russia for the Russians, Greece for the Greeks, North America for the North Americans) as kinduva continuation of the Sunday of All Saints that we celebrated the previous Sunday.  I'm not aware that we have such a day devoted especially to the Body and Blood of Christ.

Thanks for the info!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »

I'm not entirely sure about this but I think those Orthodox churches which use the Western Rite do some sort of commemoration of corpus christi, but without the pomp and fanfare that one sees with the RCs.  I do know that though Martin Luther was especially horrified by the RC "treatment" of the festival of the corpus christi that he said all churches should abolish its commemoration.  That being said, a number of Lutheran churces kept the festival, but "sanitized" what Luther considered to be "irreverent" and "superstitioius".  For instance, the sequence Hymn of Thomas Aquinas, Lauda Sion Salvatorem is still prescribed for the First Sunday after Trinity according to The Lutheran Hymnal from 1940 which was a reprinting of earlier hymnals used here in the Americas by mainly Scandinavian immigrants.  The hymn however, has been excised with regards to the portions that mention transubstantiation specifically. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:37:40 PM »

Traditionally, Corpus Christi is actually on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday. It remains so in countries where it is a Holy Day of Obligation. For the other countries, it is transferred to Sunday. I love Corpus Christi processions. It's one of my favorite feast days. Back in the later Middle Ages, merchant and graft guilds used to perform plays covering all the great events of Christian history. They took many hours to do and were usually spread out over two or three days on Corpus Christi. These cycles of "Corpus Christi plays" were huge events, along with the colorful processions, in the towns that put them on. They were the progenitors of modern drama.

Sadly, the Protestants stamped out all the fun in England in the 16th century.

I read all the extant English cycles (as well as saw modern productions of some of the plays) for a medieval English theatre class. I think the plays are quite fascinating and great fun. I might also add that they were wonderful methods of catechesis! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_play
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »

If memory serves, here had been some speculation that a multo proprio (sp?) from the Vatican permitting more liberal use of the TLM was to have been released on Corpus Christi?

Was it actually, but we just don't have news about it yet?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:15:07 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:47:38 PM »

Fr. Chris,

There is alot of opposition out there, I witnessed it yesterday @ Mass, sad to say, but I live in L.A., land of the 1%, according to Cardinal Mahony...

At the moment motu proprio is a rumor...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 04:33:05 PM »

The Secretary of State, Cardinal Bertone, has confirmed recently that "we won’t have to wait much longer to see it published." Benedict XVI is a very deliberate sort of man, and he knows how important it is to prepare the ground for this. It has already had an effect---the Catholic world has been buzzing about it for months, and various circles are preparing for this eventuality---more 1962 missals are being printed up, Una Voce and the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (FSSP) are offering classes to priests interested in learning it, and liberals are grumbling about "turning the clock back to before Vatican II" (or, more precisely, a fantasy version of Vatican II which never took place). Sources say that it is now in the translation process; it's already been signed. Interestingly, Benedict will be issuing an explanatory letter to accompany it.

The rumored dates are not worth the pixels they are illuminated through. One Catholic blogger has even come up with a nifty Motu Proprio Random Date Generator. It's coming, supposedly soon. Nobody knows the precise date.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »

The latest rumour says that it has been signed by the Pope and is now being translated.  How much these rumours are worth?  Who really knows  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Bl. Leonid Feodorov

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »

The Ukrainian Greek-Catholics have instituted an Eastern equivalent to the Western Feast of Corpus Christi, as they have done also for the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

"Since the moment I gave myself to the Catholic Church my sole thought has been to bring back my country to that Church, which I believe is the only true Church."

- Bl. Leonid Feodorov
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 12:31:47 PM »

Just curious.

Rob

Some cat'lick asked us this last year.

i suppose anothe rone is gonna ask us this next year too.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 12:35:21 PM »

Well, Foti, it might be nice to find out if the Western Riters do.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:42:34 PM »

Guess your rite, but I'm not too fond of the dytiki rite.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »

The Western Rite Vicariate celebrates Corpus Christi on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday (1st Sunday after Pentecost). Many churches transfer the feast to the following Sunday...which is fine, because it is within the feast's octave.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 01:01:57 PM »

I find that so interesting, considering that Corpus Christi is a post-schism feast promulgated by Pope Urban IV. Does the Western Rite use the Corpus Christi liturgy written by St. Thomas Aquinas?
Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »

I find that so interesting, considering that Corpus Christi is a post-schism feast promulgated by Pope Urban IV. Does the Western Rite use the Corpus Christi liturgy written by St. Thomas Aquinas?

We use the traditional Propers for the Corpus Christi liturgy. So, more than likely the answer is yes.
Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »

Happy Feast Day Smiley
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »

Happy Feast Day Smiley

Brother is there a western rite orthodox in the chicago area anywhere,,i would love to check it out if there is any....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 04:03:20 PM »

Do we Western rite Orthdoox Churches practice Eucharistic Adoration and Benedication as is practiced in the Catholic Church?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »

Do we Western rite Orthdoox Churches practice Eucharistic Adoration and Benedication as is practiced in the Catholic Church?

Our parish does Benediction during Lent. I think there are other WR parishes that have it throughout the year.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »

Our parish does Benediction during Lent. I think there are other WR parishes that have it throughout the year.
That's WONDERFUL!!! I am so pleased to hear this.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »

Does the western rite have blessed sacrament chapels where the faithful can adore our Lord in the Eucharist?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »

Happy Feast Day Smiley

Brother is there a western rite orthodox in the chicago area anywhere,,i would love to check it out if there is any....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

No.  The closest I know about is Holy Incarnation, in Detroit.  I've been there once: the TLM has nothing over them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »

Do Western Rite have Eucharistic Adoration?

signature
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 07:22:49 PM »

If they did, that would be a worry.  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:23:19 PM by LBK » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 07:23:50 PM »

How so? (I have my own opinions, but I'd like your explanation first).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »

If the Eucharist is reserved in the Tabernacle anyway, not adore him who is both physically and spiritually present? Seems like something we should do. In fact, the lack of Eucharistic adoration in the Eastern Orthodox Church is one of the reasons I would never seriously consider converting to the Orthodox Church. So many Western saints have expereienced spiritual growth through adoring our Lord in the host. Furthermore, I have had experienced great spiritual growth during the periods in my life when I have spent time with our Savior in Blessed Sacrament. I just could not ever give this up.
Now, I am not saying that all Christians need to experience this form of devotion. I realize that it is a western tradition. However, I think that it is a western tradtion that should be preserved in the Western rite Orthodox Churches if they are to truely be western and not just Hellenized Churches with western liturgies.
I have criticisms for those who do not practice Eucharistic adoration outside of the Liturgy, but it seems like a logical consequence of our common belief in the Real Presence.

antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »

I realize that it is a western tradition. However, I think that it is a western tradtion that should be preserved in the Western rite Orthodox Churches if they are to truely be western and not just Hellenized Churches with western liturgies.

So all Orthodox churches are just a bunch of Greek nationalists?

Does someone here actually know if Western Orthodox Churches do Eucharistic adoration, or what do the Orthodox believe about it?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:11:48 PM by antiderivative » Logged

signature
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »

If the Eucharist is reserved in the Tabernacle anyway, not adore him who is both physically and spiritually present? Seems like something we should do.

And in fact, we do.

In fact, the lack of Eucharistic adoration in the Eastern Orthodox Church is one of the reasons I would never seriously consider converting to the Orthodox Church.

The Eastern Orthodox Church also lacks the history of denial of the real presence, which lies behind Eucharist adoration, which why it is a latinization in the East.

Since what you are describing didn't exist in the Church of the First millenium, where does that leave you?

So many Western saints have expereienced spiritual growth through adoring our Lord in the host. Furthermore, I have had experienced great spiritual growth during the periods in my life when I have spent time with our Savior in Blessed Sacrament. I just could not ever give this up.

Who says you have to, but by the same token, that doesn't prove that it is the cure that it is being promoted as.

Now, I am not saying that all Christians need to experience this form of devotion. I realize that it is a western tradition. However, I think that it is a western tradtion that should be preserved in the Western rite Orthodox Churches if they are to truely be western and not just Hellenized Churches with western liturgies.

Since the Western Churches didn't have it before the Great Schism, how is it "truely Western?"  It's not even as old as the Immaculate Conception.

I have criticisms for those who do not practice Eucharistic adoration outside of the Liturgy,

but it seems like a logical consequence of our common belief in the Real Presence.

potuit, decuit ergo fecit  leads many astray.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 05:16:59 PM »

I realize that it is a western tradition. However, I think that it is a western tradtion that should be preserved in the Western rite Orthodox Churches if they are to truely be western and not just Hellenized Churches with western liturgies.

Does someone here actually know if Western Orthodox Churches do Eucharistic adoration, or what do the Orthodox believe about it?

Yes, they do.  Most Orthodox criticism I've seen revolves around the issue of it replacing communion and taking place outside of Divine Liturgy, its natural context.  I don't recall even the severest critic calling it heretical.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »

I don't think that at all. However, I do fear that at times that which is "western" is shunned for the sake of being "eastern". I see the same trend in Eastern Catholic Churches and I love these Churches.
That's what I am trying to find out. I hope the Western rite Orthodox Churches do Eucharistic Adoration.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 05:22:57 PM »

Yes, they do.  Most Orthodox criticism I've seen revolves around the issue of it replacing communion and taking place outside of Divine Liturgy, its natural context.  I don't recall even the severest critic calling it heretical.

I'm glad to hear that they practice it.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »

And in fact, we do.
I am so glad to hear this.
The Eastern Orthodox Church also lacks the history of denial of the real presence, which lies behind Eucharist adoration, which why it is a latinization in the East.
Thanks be to God that the Eastern Churches did not ever have to deal with a denial of the real presence. That is such a blessing.
Since what you are describing didn't exist in the Church of the First millenium, where does that leave you?
Well, I realize that if I had lived in the first millenium of the Church that I would not have experienced Eucharistic Adoration or Benediction as it currently exists in the West. However, I do not live in the first millenium. It is something that I have experienced and, thus, I would not want to give it up now that I have tasted such a beautiful devotion.
Who says you have to, but by the same token, that doesn't prove that it is the cure that it is being promoted as.

Well, I am glad that an Orthodox Christian does not have to give up Eucharistic adoration. However, I am not promoting it as the only devotion but I do think that the sanctity that it has brought to many western saints is evidence of the appropriateness of the devotion.
Since the Western Churches didn't have it before the Great Schism, how is it "truely Western?"  It's not even as old as the Immaculate Conception.
It is truely western because it developed in the west as part of the organic development of the liturgical practice of the Church and as a logical consequence of our faith in the real presence. We have had it for centuries and centuries. I think to get rid of the practice would then be to take away an authentic western devotion.

Earlier I meant to write that I have NO criticisms for those Churches in the East that don't practice Eucharistic Adoration. However, in the west, I think that its a tradition that should be maintained as an important part of our spiritual lives.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:33:26 PM by Papist » Logged

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 06:38:11 PM »

I'm so glad Western-rite Orthodox practice this. If you're doing Corpus Christi, a post-schism feast, you should be doing adoration. Now remove that tacked-on anaphora and you're all set!  Wink
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 07:02:34 PM »

I'm so glad Western-rite Orthodox practice this. If you're doing Corpus Christi, a post-schism feast, you should be doing adoration. Now remove that tacked-on anaphora and you're all set!  Wink

You mean the epiclesis? Shocked

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: