OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:16:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You!  (Read 2064 times) Average Rating: 0
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« on: June 07, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

Well - thanks to everyone here I've decided to take the next big step in our journey.  We've begun attending Divine Liturgy at an Orthodox parish.  We've begun speaking to the priest.  And yesterday and today I've leaped over another major hurdle.  I've started telling people (specifically Catholic friends) of our intentions.

Thus far the reaction hasn't been as bad as I'd feared.  Though we'll see what the next few days bring.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and experiences with me.  It has been more helpful than you may ever realize.

Carole
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:48:47 AM »

This must be an...interesting time for you! Wink

Based on your 'netpertise, have you given any thought to blogging your experience or keeping a private journal, anything like that?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:49:02 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Carole
Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »

This must be an...interesting time for you! Wink

Based on your 'netpertise, have you given any thought to blogging your experience or keeping a private journal, anything like that?

You know ... I hadn't really thought of blogging.  I kept a private journal of my conversion to Catholicism.  I was thinking this might make an interesting finish to that journal.  Cheesy  Of course now that you mention the blogging idea ... I may have to think about that.

Carole
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 10:51:59 AM »

Carole, YAY!!!! The Lord is with you, blessing and keeping and saving you!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool

Love never fails.
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:56:12 AM »

Congratulations Carole! Don't be afraid of how friends will take it. It is a cliche, but your real friends will understand and support you. Keep us up to date on your journey. Also, seriously consider the blog idea. I'd love to read your story.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

Congratulations, Carole!   Grin

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
JSOrthodoxy
Orthodox Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:34:47 PM »

Carole,

God bless you and know that my prayers are with you Smiley

Joe
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:56:27 PM »

Carole,

This is indeed wonderful news! May the Lord God bless you and your family! Just reading your posts and comments takes me back to when I decided to start attending the Church. These are exciting times for you and your family and I agree with Fr. Chris that blogging or journaling will be good for you.

As for your friends, well, the people who truly love you will always be with you no matter what road you choose.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:26:55 AM »

Carole,
Congratulations! Excellent news. May God assist you in your journey.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:31:08 AM »

It is a cliche, but your real friends will understand and support you.

No, real friends may not understand, and they may not support it (they cannot as Catholics), but they will remain loving toward Carole (if only for that cute-as-a-button "e" at the end of her name Wink ) Supporting and understanding should not be required or even expected.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:32:24 AM by lubeltri » Logged
Carole
Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »

No, real friends may not understand, and they may not support it (they cannot as Catholics), but they will remain loving toward Carole (if only for that cute-as-a-button "e" at the end of her name Wink ) Supporting and understanding should not be required or even expected.

Lubeltri,

Thank you for the compliment on the "e" - though in the interest of full disclosure I will say that it has long been an annoyance to me.  Now I have a new appreciation for it.   Grin

And you are right.  I do not expect support in the "Yay for you!  I'm so happy for you." meaning of support.  And I don't expect people to understand.  I mean I get it.  They are Catholic (and for the most part serious, devoted Catholics and not the "Catholic in Name Only" types).  As Catholics they hold certain beliefs about the Catholic Church that should make it difficult, if not impossible, to encourage me on this path.

However, I do expect that my friends (those people who care for me in a more personal and less generic manner) to respect me and support me in the "I don't think you're doing the right thing and I am very concerned for you.  But I am not going to be rude, mean or dismissive of your thoughts and concerns."

To date I have received far more of the respectful support from friends.  In fact the response has been better than when I told Protestant friends I was joining the Catholic Church when I actually had people shun me because I was "apostate" and "going to hell" for "leaving Christianity."  And for that I am eternally grateful.

Carole
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 11:42:17 AM »

Just my usual reminder that the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church of the East never stopped being the "Catholic Church". Hence, a "Roman" Catholic cannot be considered to be leaving the Church  Wink

Αριστοκλής

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:33:14 PM »

Just my usual reminder that the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church of the East never stopped being the "Catholic Church". Hence, a "Roman" Catholic cannot be considered to be leaving the Church  Wink

Of course, of course, and the Catholic Church (my Church) also considers itself Orthodox.

Both Churches make the same claim because both sides know that a Church that is not Catholic cannot be Orthodox and a Church that is not Orthodox cannot be Catholic. This is one of the most important things we have in common and one of the biggest reasons I have hope for an eventual reunion, if not in my lifetime.

For the sake of clarity, your Church is called Orthodox and ours is called Catholic. I'm glad we've got that settled (again).   Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 09:33:31 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »

I recognize this, your obligatory response, but only very slightly allow the second to last statement and the last, not at all.  Wink

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/o06.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 12:10:05 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: A million thanks! 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: