OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Do Not Believe Church is Infallible?  (Read 1910 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: June 07, 2007, 08:39:58 AM »

A poster here who indicates he is OO posted this in a thread:

You can't pick and choose whom you venerate.  If the Church accepts a saint, he is, it's not a legend. Or else the Church is not infallible.

This marks a HUGE difference between the OO and EO churches. The OO believes that even Ecumenical Councils are fallible. So how much more are canonizations fallible! We dont believe in "infallibility" like the EO does.

(Bolded text is mine)

Is this claim accurate?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »

Dear Fr. Chris,

I think the question, without qualification as to the definition of "infallible", is a bit loaded. We would probably agree that the Church, and consequently Ecumenical Councils (which are instruments of expressing what "the Church" believes), are "infallible" insofar as the term is taken to mean a) "dependable" rather than b) "absolutely perfect in every single respect". As long as synergy is operative, the latter can never apply to the activities of the militant Church.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:44:32 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:37:48 PM »

May I add that it is the opinion of the OO Church that councils confirm the already existing truth, not creating new "truths."  Anything else like canons or anathemas can be tested if it wasn't accurate.  However, "infallibility" of councils, if I was to define it, is no different than "infallibility" of the Bible.  Whereas the spirituality and dogma they teach are without question, the details around them may or may not be questioned.

While we do hold three ecumenical councils, I feel we hold two more that has ecumenical status that we accept as dogmatically and spiritually infallible, but in detail can show that Chalcedon, Flavian, and Leo may be withdrawn from anathema.  Canons also have to adapt to changing times and cultures.  I think even the EO's agree that not all canons that have been written in the ecumenical councils apply today anymore.

I think it's more accurate to say that the councils are indeed infallible, just not inerrant.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 08:00:35 AM »

Is this claim accurate?

If true, that would be great. I still don't understand the whole fascination with an authority being infallible. Even supposing that the Church of Ecumenical Councils were infallible and teach the truth perfectly, that doesn't mean that you or I would, or for that matter could, infallibly understand that infallible teaching. If something is written in impeccably accurate latin, but the interpreter(s) only had a rough understanding of Latin, it's impeccability would be largely meaningless. How could it be important that something be infallible, when you have no way to convert that into something that can actually have use or be utilized? Anyway, I don't want to get into this again, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut, lol.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 12:54:27 PM »

If true, that would be great. I still don't understand the whole fascination with an authority being infallible. Even supposing that the Church of Ecumenical Councils were infallible and teach the truth perfectly, that doesn't mean that you or I would, or for that matter could, infallibly understand that infallible teaching. If something is written in impeccably accurate latin, but the interpreter(s) only had a rough understanding of Latin, it's impeccability would be largely meaningless. How could it be important that something be infallible, when you have no way to convert that into something that can actually have use or be utilized? Anyway, I don't want to get into this again, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut, lol.

I suppose the best answer is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  That's how people who are not gods partake of this thing called "uncreated grace" of God, even though we're all created.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »

Forgive this post's brevity but I believe the OO belief is that God is infallible as this is what has always been received since The Faith was delivered to the saints.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags: ecclesiology Infallibility 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: