OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest practices both Anglicanism and Islam  (Read 20760 times) Average Rating: 0
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2007, 12:02:50 AM »

As you wrote, your posts have generally been respectful and polite, which is why your perjorative name-calling and apparent disdain for and labeling of persons that you did not know was surprising to me. In that regard, you did not offend me *personally*, for you said nothing offensive directed at me.

It seemed though that the lady in question as well as any persons that she may have dealt with in her post at the Cathedral were ummm "easy targets"? It is sometimes a temptation to denigrate others, and that can happen without thinking of the real people, and in that way feel some kind of superiority to them.  I've felt that myself, I assure you, and try to resist.   I hope that I am explaining myself clearly and in a non-accusatory way.  Smiley

Ebor

I understand and appreciate your insights.

BTW, I was in a mainline denomination before converting to Orthodoxy, so I know what it is like being in a broad theological context. It's very frustrating. Perhaps reading about this unfortunate situation took me back to a place I am glad I no longer find myself and triggered the worst response.

Anyway good providence to you as you hang in there.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2007, 12:10:35 AM »

I'm glad that you found them interesting.  Smiley Did you go into any of the Norse sagas and history and other topics too, since they're closely twined with the Anglo-Saxons?

Yes indeed. I don't know how anyone can study Beowulf and not deal with Norse traditions.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2007, 12:32:18 AM »

When I wrote "closeness to Constantinople," I meant Eastern in theology and against papal primacy in ecclesiology. Pre-1066 England was neither. England was Roman canonical territory before and after the conquest. It worshipped according to Roman rites. It was in the Western tradition. Its bishops received the pall from the Bishop of Rome, including the one who crowned Harold king.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2007, 07:30:47 AM »

When I wrote "closeness to Constantinople," I meant Eastern in theology and against papal primacy in ecclesiology. Pre-1066 England was neither. England was Roman canonical territory before and after the conquest. It worshipped according to Roman rites. It was in the Western tradition. Its bishops received the pall from the Bishop of Rome, including the one who crowned Harold king.

I think we're having a tangential disagreement here.
1) Once again, papal supremacy is NOT theology.
2) As you read above, I took your 1066 as a date, not area and was speaking of Ireland (which work I cited did cover with the replacement of Irish bishops - not England per se.
3) I have read were the pope did actively encourage the Normans - now to locate that source (it's not on my list of really important things to do).
'Til then well, we're on hold here  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »

You could read my posts more carefully to begin with.

I meant Eastern in theology and against papal primacy in ecclesiology.

1) Once again, papal supremacy is NOT theology.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »

I could say the same.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2007, 11:40:48 AM »

I understand and appreciate your insights.

BTW, I was in a mainline denomination before converting to Orthodoxy, so I know what it is like being in a broad theological context. It's very frustrating. Perhaps reading about this unfortunate situation took me back to a place I am glad I no longer find myself and triggered the worst response.

A "Button" being pushed, as it were?  Being aware of ones 'hot buttons' can be helpful so that an untoward response won't be triggered.  Smiley  May one ask what Church you were part of before becoming EO?  If you prefer to not say, I apologize for asking.

Anyway good providence to you as you hang in there.

Thank you

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2007, 12:38:58 AM »

A "Button" being pushed, as it were?  Being aware of ones 'hot buttons' can be helpful so that an untoward response won't be triggered.  Smiley  May one ask what Church you were part of before becoming EO?  If you prefer to not say, I apologize for asking.

Thank you

Ebor

PCUSA (Presbyterian, mainline)
My sister's church, where I used to attend, just withdrew and applied for membership in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

Actually, that is precisely what I wanted to get away from - leaving denominations that constantly grew more liberal as you progressed through years away from the founders' vision, and needing to start another one. The idea of a 2,000 year old church, basically unchanged (by comparison) was a huge attraction for me toward Orthodoxy
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2007, 06:42:31 PM »

An update on this story.  It turns out that while the  Rev. Ms. Redding lives in the state of Washington, she is canonically resident in Rhode Island.  That is though not living there for some time, her orders/her bishop of authority is not +Olympia but +Rhode Island.  The holder of that diocese is the Right Rev. Geralyn Wolf.  Ms. Redding's canonical residence in RI goes back for quite some time, though she has not served there for over 2 decades, much longer then Bp. Wolf had had the see (since 1996). I point this out because, it is likely that Bp. Wolf has not had dealings with Ms. Redding, living as she did on the other side of the US, so did not know what was happening with this one person.  Maybe she was a name on a list of clergy and a bishop has lots of other  things to deal with.

On the Stand Firm site is news from "Titus One Nine" that Bp. Wolf has inhibited Ms. Redding for the period of one year as part of a Pastoral Directive for her to think over her beliefs, her calling as a priest and the conflicts that Bp. Wolf sees in them.  That means that she may not function in anyway as priest or deacon.

http://www.kendallharmon.net/t19/index.php/t19/article/4193/
http://www.standfirminfaith.com/index.php/site/article/4194/

Please note some of the comments re Bp. Wolf's fairness and charitable behavior as well as holding to the vows and faith of her office.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »

Thanks for that Ebor! And I commend Bp. Wolf for her actions, as well as the charity with which she executed them.
Out of curiosity, given the unusual circumstances that Rev. Redding was working in a diocese other than her own when her bishop suspended her, is there a possibility that the Bishop of the Diocese in which she is working can overturn the decision to suspend her, and continue to allow her to function as a Priest in his diocese?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:43:39 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »

Out of curiosity, given the unusual circumstances that Rev. Redding was working in a diocese other than her own when her bishop suspended her, is there a possibility that the Bishop of the Diocese in which she is working can overturn the decision to suspend her, and continue to allow her to function as a Priest in his diocese?

No. She would have to be transferred to his diocese with a letter dimissory. The only thing he can do is bar her from exercising her ministry in his diocese.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »

If Dr. Redding (my apologies for not using her title correctly in my earlier post) were to function in any clerical way while inhibited it would be extremely serious in breaking Church order and the same if +Olympia permitted her to do so in his diocese.  I don't think there is any way for an inhibited priest to transfer canonical residency; it's all at the pleasure of the bishop in authority (who would have imposed the inhibition).

Ebor

Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »

The word has come down today that Redding was defrocked by Bishop Wolf after she refused to recant.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:21 AM »

Don't they make some pill for that problem?  Seems they have one for everyother problem, just thought they might have one for this?

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2009, 12:56:37 AM »

The word has come down today that Redding was defrocked by Bishop Wolf after she refused to recant.

I am actually surprised at this point that they even bother acting like there are standards.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:57:31 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2009, 02:13:05 AM »

Don't they make some pill for that problem?  Seems they have one for everyother problem, just thought they might have one for this?

At this point I'm betting she's just a masocist, not that there's anything wrong with that at all, I'm as much a fan of le Marquis De Sade as any...I just wish she'd restrict her preferences to the bedroom. Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:16:51 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2009, 02:44:42 AM »

I am actually surprised at this point that they even bother acting like there are standards.
Hang on. As soon as Redding was found to be in heresy, she was suspended by he Bishop, and could not function as an Anglican Priest anwhere. The Defrocking is simply the final act after 2 years of investigation and her lack of repentance. It's not as if the Episcopal Church didn't act or even acted slowly in this case.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:45:48 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2009, 06:48:20 AM »

I for one am glad we can both venerate St. Edward the Confessor.

Given that his relics are housed in an EO Old Calendar monastery, where catechumens are expected to remain in the narthex, I'm not actually sure you could venerate him (physically at least).
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »

Given that his relics are housed in an EO Old Calendar monastery, where catechumens are expected to remain in the narthex, I'm not actually sure you could venerate him (physically at least).

I thought that catechumens (and non-EO in general) were only expected to remain in the narthex during liturgical services.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

Hang on. As soon as Redding was found to be in heresy, she was suspended by he Bishop, and could not function as an Anglican Priest anwhere. The Defrocking is simply the final act after 2 years of investigation and her lack of repentance. It's not as if the Episcopal Church didn't act or even acted slowly in this case.

I think the point is that with all of the "nutty" things that the Anglicans and Episcopalians do there seems to be little point in doing something as sensible as defrocking her.

After all the Episcopal church of the USA has recently elevated a bishop who claims to also be a practicing Buddhist.  If he can be a bishop why is she being defrocked? Why was the priest who claimed to also be a druid similarly defrocked?

With their ordination of women, openly practicing homosexuals (both male and female) and this elevation of a bishop who claims to practice dual faiths this show of standards does appear to be a bit out of place.

Carole
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2009, 12:09:25 PM »

Why was the priest who claimed to also be a druid similarly defrocked?

Do you mean the Archbishop of Canterbury?

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »

I thought that catechumens (and non-EO in general) were only expected to remain in the narthex during liturgical services.

AFAIK, the reliquary is not opened unless it is a feast day of St. Edward and a service is going on. I might be wrong though.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »

AFAIK, the reliquary is not opened unless it is a feast day of St. Edward and a service is going on. I might be wrong though.

Ah, I suppose that does make sense.

But are non-EO expected to remain in the narthex even at, say, Vespers or Compline?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2009, 04:46:57 PM »

I think the point is that with all of the "nutty" things that the Anglicans and Episcopalians do there seems to be little point in doing something as sensible as defrocking her.

After all the Episcopal church of the USA has recently elevated a bishop who claims to also be a practicing Buddhist.  If he can be a bishop why is she being defrocked? Why was the priest who claimed to also be a druid similarly defrocked?

With their ordination of women, openly practicing homosexuals (both male and female) and this elevation of a bishop who claims to practice dual faiths this show of standards does appear to be a bit out of place.

The bishop-elect of the diocese of Northern Michigan (whose case I've been watching very closely, of course) does not claim to be a Buddhist. He certainly practices Zen meditation, but within the context of his Christian faith. A Buddhist is someone who has actually taken refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha. Thew Forrester, to my knowledge, has not done so.

The Archbishop of Canterbury was inducted into the Gorsedd of the Bards, a Welsh society of great contributors to Welsh life. (The Archbishop had been Archbishop of Wales.) The society's "druidry" has no connection to paganism.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »

Huh   Sigh.  Bishop Wolf is not "acting" like anything. 

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2009, 05:01:44 PM »

<Insert emoticon of banging one's head on the keyboard> 

No, not the Archbishop of Canterbury!  SIGH!  As has been stated he is a member of a Welsh organization that honours those who support and contribute to that culture.

If the above was not meant as merely a cheap shot at humour at another Church's expense and an answer is actually wanted, then it is likely that the person being referred to is William Melnyk from a case about 4 1/2 years ago if I recall correctly. He is no longer a priest.

Carole
Elder

« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »

No.  According the article I linked in my post there was an Episcopal priest in Pennsylvania (in 2004) who claimed to be a druid and was, per the article, defrocked.

Carole
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »

Oh yeah, Old "OakWyse".  His wife is still a priest near here.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »

After all the Episcopal church of the USA has recently elevated a bishop who claims to also be a practicing Buddhist.  If he can be a bishop
Actually, no. He has not been elevated yet. His election is yet to be approved by the Bishops.

Carole
Elder

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »

After all the Episcopal church of the USA has recently elevated a bishop who claims to also be a practicing Buddhist.  If he can be a bishop
Actually, no. He has not been elevated yet. His election is yet to be approved by the Bishops.

If the Episcopal Church is anything like the Lutheran synods the Bishops very rarely (if ever) overturn an election.  He will likely be elevated in spite of his insistence that Zen meditation is not contradictory to Christianity.  Roll Eyes

But honestly, after the ordination of women and openly practicing homosexuals does it make a difference?  They've already acted in ways completely contrary to Christianity.  Nothing else is really all that surprising.

Carole
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »

It's not at all clear that Forrester up in N. Mich. is going to get his consents. Thus far most bishops who have announced their decision have voted against him, though the total thus far is quite small.
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2009, 12:53:42 AM »

The people at StandFirm are keeping count here, and David Virtue is keeping count here. The number of consents required is a bit blurry, what between rump and vacant thrones and the fact that Ed Gulick is bishop in one of the rump dioceses as well as in Kentucky. Best guess on this is 102 bishops and 108 standing committees, of which a majority of both is needed. Therefore 52 bishops and 55 SCs have to commit.

So far 28 bishops have announced they are not consenting, with two saying that will not say. (One of those, Geralyn Wolf, is reckoned to be a "no"-- see discussion above.) 10 bishops have consented. Of Gulick gets a vote for each throne, that would add another no. 23 more no responses would sink Forrester's consecration. It's hard to guess how this will go, as most bishops counted as more-or-less conservative have announced they are not consenting. THe cutoff date for consents is about 25 June.
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2009, 04:42:25 PM »

It has been officially announced that Forrester failed to get the necessary consents, so Northern Michigan will have to have another election. It is possible for them to reelect Forrester, though I suspect that he would fail again.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »

Ann Holmes Redding (the Muslim-Christian) speaks (she is the second speaker here) at an Interfaith meeting, St. Mark's Cathedral, Seattle, 6 November, 2010.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »

Ann Holmes Redding (the Muslim-Christian) speaks (she is the second speaker here) at an Interfaith meeting, St. Mark's Cathedral, Seattle, 6 November, 2010.

St. Mark's is a beautiful church, and their Vespers, a service of Gregorian chant, is wonderful. It is sad to see it desecrated by such a ridiculous event.

I could only watch forty-four seconds of that.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »

I confess that I don't know too much about Anglicanism/Episcopalianism, but I suspect that this woman and her hosts at St. Mark's, are not true representatives.  But then again, perhaps they are.  When Henry decided he made a matrimonial mistake, rather than take responsibility and try to do right, he simply called up 'ol Scratch and the two of them crafted an evil facsimile of the One, True Church.  One of the best scenarios of Protestantism one can think of.  Fast forward to today and it's really no surprise at all that we have people calling themselves "priests" and "bishops" in this religion.  I mean, they call themselves "Christians" so why not?  Here we have a "church" that is dedicated to the Holy Apostle and Saint, Mark.  Yet inside we find a woman extolling the virtues of Paganism and beckoning us to pray to "Mother Earth".  The next speaker is not only an idiot (academically speaking), she makes a complete mockery out of Christianity.  The Bible and Qu'ran are at complete, opposite odds with one another and any person who believes otherwise, especially someone who supposedly holds a PhD. is nothing but a disillusioned hack.  The same should be said for her religion that allows for this stupidity.   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2010, 01:17:25 AM »

45 seconds?!! I could only stomach 15 seconds. What a joke. What are these people doing inside a church? Honestly?
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2010, 01:30:29 AM »

45 seconds?!! I could only stomach 15 seconds. What a joke. What are these people doing inside a church? Honestly?

PoorFoolNicholas, behold the Episcopalian church, you will never find a more wretched hive of ecumenism and religious syncretism. star wars reference ftw

Seriously though, they pull this insanity all the time. And as a result, nobody takes them seriously except as a Seattle cultural item, and a tourist attraction/cool thing to see for their Gregorian chant Vespers.

You don't even have to take my word for it, here's an image banner from their website.

And they have an icon of the Theotokos, for some reason, in a small shrine. That would be where the bowl of sand with the candles is from.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »

LOL @ 9:29 - Someone may say "But Jesus, you seem so far away!" And Jesus says, "Sit with Cedar and Raven. They will teach you about me." BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Classic!

This is the clearest example of worship to the Great Whatever that I have yet seen.

Seriously, every video part of this series is totally hilarious (and disturbing)! Thanks for posting this; made my night.

Part 1-Entry and Opening the Directions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpXUlk5_tvM&feature=related     3:17 is special. She calls in the spirits of the winds. I didn't know invocations of spirits was permitted in "Christian" churches. I suppose it's fitting that the altar faces West. Oh, and holy crap at 6:57. Seriously, watch it.

Nice Byzantine icon behind the welcoming committee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OfDQeBRwk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:52:16 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »

LOL @ 9:29 - Someone may say "But Jesus, you seem so far away!" And Jesus says, "Sit with Cedar and Raven. They will teach you about me." BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Classic!

This is the clearest example of worship to the Great Whatever that I have yet seen.

Seriously, every video part of this series is totally hilarious (and disturbing)! Thanks for posting this; made my night.

Part 1-Entry and Opening the Directions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpXUlk5_tvM&feature=related     3:17 is special. She calls in the spirits of the winds. I didn't know invocations of spirits was permitted in "Christian" churches. I suppose it's fitting that the altar faces West. Oh, and holy crap at 6:57. Seriously, watch it.

Nice Byzantine icon behind the welcoming committee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OfDQeBRwk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Is that in a church and they're supposed to be Christians? They outdo even the Baha'i in their crazy mishmash of desperate beings that they invoke... they must really believe there is nothing bad in the universe or they would be more cautious. I won't be surprised when they start invoking Satan by name.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »

I want to cry after watching that. Please tell me that was the local UUs borrowing the church. The Episcopalians have been known to lend their church to other faiths.

I'm going to need this.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »

Wow!  I had to stop watching it.  It was just to weird to watch a middle-class, white American woman act like an old Indian shaman.  When she asked her 'spirits' to 'shape-shift' the world, well, then it went from weird to creepy...

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »

I confess that I don't know too much about Anglicanism/Episcopalianism, but I suspect that this woman and her hosts at St. Mark's, are not true representatives.  But then again, perhaps they are. 

No they're not. If you would like to know some real information about Anglican Christianity, please ask.

When Henry decided he made a matrimonial mistake, rather than take responsibility and try to do right, he simply called up 'ol Scratch and the two of them crafted an evil facsimile of the One, True Church. 

Sigh. No, that is not historically accurate nor what happened.  There is a thread here on OC.net about the historical context and truth of what happened at that time regarding the politics and other complications.

Fast forward to today and it's really no surprise at all that we have people calling themselves "priests" and "bishops" in this religion.  I mean, they call themselves "Christians" so why not?  Here we have a "church" that is dedicated to the Holy Apostle and Saint, Mark. 

Because we are Christians...no quotes needed.  Sad and in my Church they *are* priests and bishops and the building is a church. 

Just to remind people.  Dr. Ann Holmes Redding was defrocked by her bishop after pastoral counseling and inhibition.  What she says is her own words and not anything official from the Episcopal Church nor the Anglican Communion. 

I wonder if this is what OzGeorge called the "purple demons" again, with pokes and uncharitable remarks against other human beings and other Churches.

Sigh again.  Sad

Ebor

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »

I want to cry after watching that. Please tell me that was the local UUs borrowing the church. The Episcopalians have been known to lend their church to other faiths.
This wasn't a church service. It was an multi-faith event centered on ecological and environmental awareness, in which people of different faiths gathered together in support of a common social goal. The biblical "Tree of Life" was the central organizing idea:

You are invited to join in this historical moment known as the Great Turning by gathering around the ancient mythic image of the Tree of Life. This event features an address by author, environmental activist, and Gaian teacher Joanna Macy; storytelling by Michael Meade; liturgical dance by Betsey Beckman; and world music by Gina Salá. The evening is designed to bring together people of different spiritual and cultural traditions to express their sorrow and hope over the environmental and cultural upheaval our world is currently experiencing. The sacred space of the cathedral will be filled with the sights and sounds of dance, music, drumming, ritual, story, and song--a feast for the senses and the soul.

Interestingly, the event was co-sponsored by St. Mark's, as well as by the Tree of Life Project:

The Tree of Life Web Project (ToL) is a collaborative effort of biologists and nature enthusiasts from around the world. On more than 10,000 World Wide Web pages, the project provides information about biodiversity, the characteristics of different groups of organisms, and their evolutionary history....

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »

I don't think it can be denied that this does represent Anglicanism, since:

1) It took place in an Anglican cathedral with the permission of the presiding hierarch and,

2) The Anglican Church's prelates here or abroad made no effort to sanction the bishop (unless there is more to the story than the information thus far uncovered) who permitted the desecration of the sanctuary.

Since the altar has continued in use, then it seems that the Anglican Church is perfectly comfortable with what happened.  After all, it is an ANGLICAN altar and an ANGLICAN church.  They are not renting it from anybody else.  So, they must take full responsibility for the middle-class-hippie paganism that occured there.

If such a thing were to happen in an Orthodox parish or, if I may dare speak for someone else, a Roman Catholic one, there would be all kinds of disciplinary actions and the entire building would be subject to exorcisms and blessings and whatnot to drive off any residue of such filth.  What the Anglicans who run the Seattle church need to remember is that the building is not theirs if they truly worship God, but it is God's and His alone.  He does not have to share it with such 'spirits' as those invoked by the heresiomatron who presided over this debauchery.

I do not think it is logical to differentiate between practicing such abominations and permitting them to happen within one's own precincts.  The guilt is equally shared.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: