OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 03:51:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Jesus, Son of Humankind?" by Fr. Paul Mankowski  (Read 864 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: June 06, 2007, 12:13:58 AM »

A friend gave me a hard copy of this article, which I found a very enlightening read.  Please read this and feel free to discuss what you think about it.

Jesus, Son of Humankind?
The necessary failure of inclusive-language translations
Fr. Paul Mankowski

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles7/MankowskiLanguage.php
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:58:50 PM »

Thanks for posting the article PTA.  Very informative.  I found it quite interesting that he really didn't seem to take a stand against inclusion language, if only because it was intellectually dishonest which he illustrated quite well.  However, this part of his conclusion struck me:

In the short term, it may seem prudent and advantageous to employ words like "humankind" and other such devices as interim solutions to a vexed pastoral problem. But in the long term such compromises must change the language in which God has revealed himself. Where the Bible and the liturgy speak to us in the elemental, universal terms of existence, we cannot replace them with legal, philosophical, or political contrivances without changing the nature of the documents themselves.

For someone who is part of the very liberal SOJ, the humility shown here to God as the revealer of things divine was really unexpected.  Normally, I expect Jesuits to be dissecting text with scalpels and squaring circles.  Nice to see that not all Jesuits are off the deep end.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: