OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:23:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20th Century African Orthodox churches  (Read 803 times) Average Rating: 0
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« on: June 05, 2007, 12:36:33 AM »

I have been doing a lot of reading about African Orthodox Churches that have sprung up in the last century, such as in Uganda, Kenya and Ghana.  In these cases, the establishment of Orthodox churches goes hand-in-hand with the anti-colonialist political movements of the same time period, and movements to preserve local culture and language.  They sought canonicity and entered into communion with the Eastern Orthodox through the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria.  I'm curious why these churches did not seek ties with the Coptic Patriarchate of Alexandria, or the Ethiopian Orthodox Church?  Is it for political reasons?  I know that the Coptic church did receive the South African Orthodox Church that formed as part of the same movement.

Also (and this is really a separate topic) does anyone know about other existing parishes of the African Orthodox church in america (non-canonical) besides St John Coltrane in San Francisco?  Also, does anyone know the feast date for St John Coltrane?

Thanks

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Tags: Africa Colonialism Ethiopian Orthodox Church Coptic Orthodox Church African Orthodoxy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: