OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attempts at reunification between O.O. and E.O.?  (Read 1334 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: June 04, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »

First, let me begin this thread by asking forgiveness if this question becomes overheated, or if it's already been asked many times before. It is not my intent to sow rancor or boredom!  Smiley

I keep reading in the press about attempts at reunification between the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church(s). However, I've never read about any councils between the Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox churches. (Perhaps they have and I'm unaware).

From a convert's standpoint (from liberal protestantism to Greek Orthodox) this situation baffles me. It seems to me that if the Eastern Orthodox were to reunify, the Oriental Orthodox would be a far more intuitive choice than the Roman Catholic Church. The one time I visited a Coptic church, it reminded me a great deal of my own church - Godward-centered, traditional liturgical worship. In contrast, I can't count the number of U.S. Catholic churches that I've been in that had strumming guitars, people in Mass wearing shorts and bluejeans, felt banners hanging from ceilings, 1960s music of the same school as "Michael Row Your Boat Ashore", etc.

So, strictly from a liturgical point of view, it appears to me that there's a much larger rift between Roman Catholicism (as currently practiced by a majority in the U.S.) and Eastern Orthodoxy than there is between the Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox. So why does there appear no push to mend the rift between Alexandria and Moscow/Constantinople; but there's a constant dialogue between Rome and Moscow/Constantinople?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:14:33 PM »

Eugenio,

Try our former poster, Peter Farrington, website for what's been happening:

http://www.orthodoxunity.org/

These efforts don't get the "press" that anything the Pope of Rome gets involved in does.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »

Thanks for the link! It's good to see this is taking place.  Cheesy
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »

Let me break it down for you. 

Its up to the bishops.  We can put our opinions out there and try to move it grass roots.  But its up to the bishops. 

Tons of dialogue has taken place.  The rest is up to them... Wink

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »

Actually, that's not always true, it's up to God.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:44:40 PM »

You know...I was going to make a snibe comment, but I decided against it. 

In the end you're right, no matter what I say... Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:33:04 AM »

I am aware of similiar issues with the Roman Catholic Churches in Australia and agree that Orthodox unity would be much easier to achieve from a purely outward perspective. Nonetheless, God will guide His Church but I hope He guides to unity soon  Smiley

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags: unity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: