OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:12:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akathist to your patron saint  (Read 2517 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: June 03, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »

I was wondering if anyone knows of a generic akathist one could use for one's patron saint??

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:27:16 PM »

Depends on the patrion Saint.  And whether or not you read Greek. 

Honestly.  I've seen manuscripts in Greek for saints i've never heard of...Even at a Greek Seminary. 

A lot of stuff exists in Greek. 

But if its a Russian Saint I could "maybe" hook you up too...depends on the saint. 

Serb

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 12:22:08 AM »

I'm looking for Saint Sebastian, He is my patron saint. His feast day is December 18. He was a Roman soldier from Milan Italy and was martyred in 287. His Troparion is "O Sebastian, thou didst spurn the gatherings of the wicked and bring together the illustrious martyrs who with thee cast down the enemy. Deemed worthy of the Divine Presence, thou dost gladden those who cry to thee: Glory to Him Who has strengthened thee: glory to Him Who has crowned thee; glory to Him Who through thee works healings for all."

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
authio
Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 02:07:09 AM »

Hey Serb, if you're willing to look - is there an akathist to St Paul the Apostle?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:09:03 AM »

I have in my home library a book of akathists published by Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY.  Granted, this being a ROCOR publication, most of the more recent saints are of the Russian Church, but this does have many akathists to saints throughout all the ages, in addition to akathists to Christ and the Theotokos.  I might be able to find a saint for whom you want to search.  I've also read a loose-leaf akathist to St. Xenia of St. Petersburg that is not contained in my book.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »

I have heard that Russian students at one time where taught the  manner in which to write an Akathist in Church Schools. There may still be some older ROCOR  members in the US who know how to do this, you may want to ask them.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:59:10 AM »

I don't know any ROCOR members. Out here in Springfield MO we are the only game in town.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:31:10 AM »

Sounds like your saint, Sebastian, has the "generic martyr" troparion.  Maybe you could find an akathist to a martyr and plug Sebastian's name in.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »

Hey Serb, if you're willing to look - is there an akathist to St Paul the Apostle?

I would be surprised if it didn't exist.  Unfortunately i'm home for the summer, so I won't be able to look that up until September.  But I can write a note to myself on my computer if you would like.  

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
authio
Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »

I would be surprised if it didn't exist.  Unfortunately i'm home for the summer, so I won't be able to look that up until September.  But I can write a note to myself on my computer if you would like.  

Let's do that.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: