OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:13:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the Melkites accept papal infallibility?  (Read 5168 times) Average Rating: 0
St. Christopher

« on: June 02, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »

I have a quick factual question.  I was told by a Melkite priest that they didn't accept papal infallibility in 1870.  Did the Melkites accept it at a later time?  Thanks, St. Christopher.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »

Patriarch Gregory II Yusuf opposed the declaration about the Primacy and Infallibility of the Pope and voted against it during the Vatican I council.  He then left Rome before the conclusion.  Later, Pope Pius IX insisted that the Patriarch subscribe to the dogma.  He did, yet allegedly it was on the condition that "all the rights, privileges, and prerogatives of the patriarchs be preserved".  I am not sure the exact date when this all occured and all the details.  There are a few theories and stories about what took place, but my knowledge about the Melkite Greek Catholic Church is rather limited.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
JSOrthodoxy
Orthodox Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:25:38 PM »

I have heard that Pope Pius IX made the Melkite patriarch kneel down before him and that the Pope put his shoe on his neck and said, "This one is stubborn."  I don't know if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Joe
St. Christopher

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 09:17:48 AM »

I have heard that Pope Pius IX made the Melkite patriarch kneel down before him and that the Pope put his shoe on his neck and said, "This one is stubborn."  I don't know if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Joe
The Melkite priest told me the same story.  I originally read the story on Wikipedia and I asked the priest if it was true.  I went back to read the Wikipedia article again and that story was gone from the article. Huh
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »

Sounds like a Pius legend to me.  Wink
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:12:01 PM »

Friul is basically correct.  This is confirmed in the books the Melkites put out here in the US; e.g. Fr. Ignatios Dick's "Melkites" and Fr. Serge Descy's "The Melkite Church".   

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 07:25:21 PM »

From the Melkite website http://www.mliles.com/melkite/historyfrjamesbulletin.shtml

Quote from: Do You Know Our Melkite History?  Part 8
In his long patriarchate (1864-1897), Gregory II Youssef proved to be one of the boldest and strongest defenders of the authentic Byzantine identity of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church.  According to the 1986 Almanac of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church,  "balancing his actions against their possible consequences on the capital work of the union of the Churches, he strove for the application of his great plan for the restoration of his Church.  He wished for this to be done according to the pure oriental tradition and this explains his opposition to Vatican I [a general council of the Catholic Church held in Rome in 1868-1870] for its declaration of the dogmas of the Primacy and Infallibility of the Pope in the meaning given them by the majority of the Fathers present, as he considered declaration of these dogmas inopportune." Patriarch Gregory II based his opposition to the declaration of papal infallibility on the grounds that it would further separate the Orthodox from the Catholic Church.  He voted against it at the Council, and left Rome before the Council session at which it was solemnly proclaimed.  Later, at the insistence of Pope Pius IX (some historians say that the Pope forced the Patriarch to kneel in front of him, then placed his foot on the Patriarch's neck), Gregory assented to the declaration, but with the condition that "all the rights, privileges, and prerogatives of the patriarchs be preserved."  This was the wording used at the Council of Florence in 1492, where reunion of the Orthodox and Catholics was attempted.  It remains the basis for Melkite efforts to prevent Latinization and control of our affairs by the Vatican. Father Serge Descy, in his excellent book, The Melkite Church, writes that "this episode bears witness to the courage and determination of Patriarch Youssef in defending the Eastern ecclesiological conception  of autonomy. . . . The Eastern convictions and truly ecumenical concern of Gregory Youssef made him one of the forerunners of interconfessional dialogue." The 1986 Almanac also says of Patriarch Gregory II Youssef, "He struggled against Protestantism, which was penetrating the area in force, by founding the patriarchal colleges of Beirut in 1865 and of Damascus in 1875.  In 1866 he reopened the seminary of Ain Traz, but most important of all it was he who was behind the founding of the seminary of St Anne of Jerusalem in 1882.  [St Anne's survived until the war of 1967, under the direction of the Missionaries of Africa, or White Fathers.]  He took a most important part in the Eucharistic Congress of Jerusalem in 1893.  His suggestions had in addition an important influence on the elaboration of the encyclical Orientalium Dignitas, a veritable charter for the oriental Churches by which Pope Leo XIII ordered the strictest respect for the rights of the patriarchs and for the oriental discipline, correcting on several points the spirit of the majority of the Latin missionaries."

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:02:39 AM »

"As a Patriarch, the Chief Hierarch of the Melkite Church does hold a very special place in ecclesiastical rank.   Patriarchal rank and jurisdiction has always been reverenced in the East from Apostolic times when, in fact, the entire Catholic Church was ruled by a Pentarchy of five patriarchs, of Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, and Jerusalem in the East and of Rome in the West.   Rome was accorded the honor of "first among Equals" because it was the last episcopal See of the Apostle Peter. But, lest some forget, Peter was also, at an earlier date, Bishop of Antioch. Yes, the Melkite Patriarch does indeed hold a special place in the hierarchy of the Universal (Catholic Church)."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »

According to the article above, a Russian priest, in a Catholic broadcast, said the following about the Melkite Catholic Church:

"Other sources of disagreement are the Immaculate Conception, Papal Supremacy and Infallibility, Pugatory, and the Filioque, and to a lesser extend remarriage after divorce; in short all the matters that remain primary points of disagreement between Orthodox and Catholics."

The Melkite response to this was the following:

"The author mentions "other sources of disagreement" but this seems to be a figment of a flawed imagination.   There are no disagreements in matters of faith and morals. How could there be?   There are, however, different legitimate ways of explanation or interpretation."

It seems that not all Melkites disagree with the Catholic Church in favor of Eastern Orthodoxy when it comes to faith and morals.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:05:08 AM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »

It seems that not all Melkites disagree with the Catholic Church in favor of Eastern Orthodoxy when it comes to faith and morals.
For those Melkites that do tend to side with Eastern Orthodoxy on the points of disagreement (such as some on this forum) I would be interested in hearing why it is that they remain in full communion with Rome. Surely they do not value that communion if they feel that Rome is severely in error on several issues. Would it not be more sensible to become Eastern Orthodox since that would be a fuller expression of their faith?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:25:57 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »

For those Melkites that do tend to side with Eastern Orthodoxy on the points of disagreement (such as some on this forum) I would be interested in hearing why it is that they remain in full communion with Rome. Surely they do not value that communion if they feel that Rome is severely in error on several issues. Would it not be more sensible to become Eastern Orthodox since that would be a fuller expression of their faith?
For some reason, they don't seem to want to answer the question.  Undecided

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »

Cheesy This thread is so old and forgotten that I laughed out loud at my own joke! Just now I noticed it was mine.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »

According to the article above, a Russian priest, in a Catholic broadcast, said the following about the Melkite Catholic Church:

"Other sources of disagreement are the Immaculate Conception, Papal Supremacy and Infallibility, Pugatory, and the Filioque, and to a lesser extend remarriage after divorce; in short all the matters that remain primary points of disagreement between Orthodox and Catholics."

The Melkite response to this was the following:

"The author mentions "other sources of disagreement" but this seems to be a figment of a flawed imagination.   There are no disagreements in matters of faith and morals. How could there be?   There are, however, different legitimate ways of explanation or interpretation."

Actually, my brother, you misread it. The column on the left of the piece is a reprint from a piece on the EWTN site. It is a direct quote from what EWTN's Colin Donovan (its VP for Apologetics or somesuch title) described as

Easily one of the best of discussions of the Eastern Churches (the Catholic Churches in volume one, the dissident churches in volume two) is Donald Attwater's CHURCHES OF THE CHRISTIAN EAST (Milwaukee: Bruce Publishing Company, 1935-1937-1947).

The column on the right is a response to Attwater's remarks (and a reproval to EWTN's posting of those as an appropriate description of the Melkite Church), not by a Melkite, but by a Russian Greek-Catholic priest, Father John (Mowatt), of blessed memory. Father John was formerly Rector of the Byzantine Center and Chapel at Fatima, and subsequently pastored parishes of the Eparchy of Stamford of the Ukrainians.

Father John was a dear friend to the American Melkite community (he was, indeed, buried from our Cathedral) and was conferred the honorific of Mitred Archimandrite by the Melkite Church. His memory is particularly dear to me as he introduced me to Eastern Christianity, serving the first Divine Liturgy that I ever had the honor and blessing to attend - as a 6th grader in a Latin school, some 50+ years ago, when he was Rector of the Russian Greek-Catholic Chapel of Our Lady of Kazan in South Boston, of blessed memory.

And, your interpretation to the contrary, Father's remarks should be viewed as they were intended, a response to a virulent and opinionated piece directed against the Melkite Church, which explained that we see and understand things differently than does Rome in many respects.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »

Cheesy This thread is so old and forgotten that I laughed out loud at my own joke! Just now I noticed it was mine.
Great minds think alike. Grin

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »

For some reason, they don't seem to want to answer the question.  Undecided

Not sure how many times and in how many threads I have to post this in the same week or two, but, to reiterate

As I once posted to another discussion elsewhere:

Quote from: Irish Melkite
Ours is a conflicted Church but we cannot and will not stand around, wringing our hands, and waiting for the moment at which the Holy Spirit decides to illumne all concerned and bring a millenium or more of separation to an end. So, we celebrate every aspect of the religious beliefs that we share either with both Rome and Constantinople or with only one of them. I can't ask that anyone fully understand; I'm not sure we always do.

It's not beyond imagining that, were a Melkite hierarch to address a meeting of the Catholic-Orthodox Dialogue Commission and then leave, that those on both sides would look across the table at one another, befuddled, and ask - simultaneously - "he came with you, right?  Huh "

Many years,

Neil  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:28:20 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »

It doesn't really answer the question: Why are you communion with Rome?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »

Great question. I would LOVE to hear the answer. Maybe Todd would be willing to chime in as well.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »

Great question. I would LOVE to hear the answer. Maybe Todd would be willing to chime in as well.

On CAF there would sometimes be discussion of a document signed between the Melkites and the Vatican which did not require the Melkites to accept anything beyond what they held and believed at the time of union.

This would justify the Melkite position.

However, it must be said that nobody could ever produce this important document.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »

Probably they are in communion with Rome for political reasons?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 09:34:09 AM »

*crickets*

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »

I believe Christ gave St. Peter a unique office of leadership among his brothers and that office was passed to his successors.  Even though I don't agree with all Rome's interpretations of that, I do not believe she holds or teaches any heresy. 

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »

Even though I don't agree with all Rome's interpretations of that, I do not believe she holds or teaches any heresy. 

What unacceptable interpretations you had in mind?
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 11:09:36 AM »

Even though I don't agree with all Rome's interpretations of that, I do not believe she holds or teaches any heresy. 

With all due respect to Deacon Lance, whose opinion on many matters I frequently share, I think that his response begs the question regarding the issue of infallibility. Most Orthodox scholars would agree that throughout much of the first millennium, there was a degree of 'primus' accorded to the office of the Bishop of Rome. The vexing question of course for most of the past 1,000 years has been to what degree and to what practical effect does that 'primus' extend?

Rome's formulations of that, particularly as defined in the teachings of Vatican I, express a position that all Orthodox scholars and faithful can not accept. Thus, I believe that Alpo's question deserves an answer as I think that answer might get to the point of the Melkite dilemma.

Certainly the modern era's theological consultations among the Orthodox and the Church or Rome have wrestled with this issue to no clear end.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »

Well, I believe the Pope as the head of the college of bishops can speak infallibly for the Church.  I think, however, on matters of faith the Seven Councils dealt with the vital matters.  Everything since should be left in the realm of theological opinion.  On matters of morals, I think this charism is more important, especially as medical science keeps pushing the limits of ethics and morality.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »

I believe Christ gave St. Peter a unique office of leadership among his brothers and that office was passed to his successors.  Even though I don't agree with all Rome's interpretations of that, I do not believe she holds or teaches any heresy. 

My question is specifically asked of those Melkites who deny Rome's explicit dogmas of Papal infallibility, supremacy, and universal jurisdiction.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »

Well, I believe the Pope as the head of the college of bishops can speak infallibly for the Church.  I think, however, on matters of faith the Seven Councils dealt with the vital matters.  Everything since should be left in the realm of theological opinion.  On matters of morals, I think this charism is more important, especially as medical science keeps pushing the limits of ethics and morality.

How's that answering my question? The only thing you disagree with Rome is that while she has tended to evolve it's doctrine even after 7. council while you hold that it shouldn't be evolved?
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »

On CAF there would sometimes be discussion of a document signed between the Melkites and the Vatican which did not require the Melkites to accept anything beyond what they held and believed at the time of union.

This would justify the Melkite position.

However, it must be said that nobody could ever produce this important document.

There is a letter sent from Pius IX to all bishops indicating that he and the Patriarch have come to an agreement on both the powers of the papacy and the power and privilege of the Patriarch.  He indicates that because the Patriarch had, for the most part, been most loyal, and because the Patriarch agreed to the acta concerning papal primacy, and had willingly agreed to work with Rome on the election of bishops, albeit a qualified agreement, then the Church would recognize the Patriarch who was to be accorded, by all,  full patriarchal power and privilege over his own flock and in external relations.

It's on the Internet.  I don't have time to look for it but I have read it.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »

One cannot have doctrinal and theological fuzziness and moral clarity as long as our morality is divinely writ...There's a tendency to separate theology and morality in the minds of the faithful and I know that to be a startling breach in the wholeness of revealed Truth...I believe my pastors...many of them...would say the same.  The fact that we separate them academically does not mean that they are really separable in living, breathing, divinely loving fact.

M.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 12:06:26 AM »

My question is specifically asked of those Melkites who deny Rome's explicit dogmas of Papal infallibility, supremacy, and universal jurisdiction.

So... why are you in communion with Rome?

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »

So... why are you in communion with Rome?

Parallel theologies are never a good substitute for oneness in faith....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:34:27 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »

I have a quick factual question.  I was told by a Melkite priest that they didn't accept papal infallibility in 1870.  Did the Melkites accept it at a later time?  Thanks, St. Christopher.

If that is what you were told by a Melkite priest, why have any doubts? You could always send an e-mail to Bishop Nicholas Samra, Eparch of the Melkites in the United States.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »

It's been five years ... maybe he did. Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »

I sure hope so!  Cheesy

orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »

Wow, I don't even know if Sayedna Nicholas was the Bishop then... may still have been Bishop John at that point.

Still, this thread has me curious.  Next time Sayedna comes to visit, I'm going to ask him.

I'll report back in 5 years.   Cheesy
Tags: Melkites  papal infallibility 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: