OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 07:29:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantines Worshiped Emperor?  (Read 959 times) Average Rating: 0
St. Christopher

« on: June 02, 2007, 12:38:05 PM »

I remember hearing some place that in the Empire's declining years the Byzantines started worshiping the emperor.  I thought at the time, "No wonder God let the Turks get them!"

Recently, I remembered this idea and I wonder if somebody had his facts wrong.  Could the Byzantines had declared their emperors saints and been venerating them?  Does anybody know more about this question?  Thanks, St. Christopher.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:19:02 AM »

Veneration, almost certainly (at least in outward gestures, though whether people actually venerated an emperor in their heart would probably change from emperor to emperor). However, I've never heard of a systematic and consistent worship of the Byzantine Emperors.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:19:57 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Tags: Byzantine history 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: