OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:46:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it OK for two bishops to be commemorated in Liturgy?  (Read 1658 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: June 02, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »

I heard somewhere, or read somewhere, that it is NOT OK for two bishops to be commemorated in the same service/breath. 

For example, the priest commemmorates the Patriarch and then the local bishop. 

Firstly, is the example OK? 

Second, why or why not? 

Thanks! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »

The text of the Litany of the Fathers according to the official Liturgical texts of the Coptic Church encourage so:

"That which you have purchased with the Honoured blood of Your Christ. Preserve her in peace, and all the Orthodox Bishops who are in her. Foremost, remember O Lord, our blessed Father, the honoured Archbishop and Patriarch [insert name] and his spiritual brothers [insert names of patriarchs of other Sees], and his partner in the Apostolic ministry, our Bishop Abba [insert name]."

Are your liturgical texts similar at all in that regard?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:42:27 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:48:24 AM »

I'm not sure if this is where serb1389 read it, but you will find an article on the protocol for commemorating the prelate on the official website of the Ecumenical Patriarchate:
http://www.ec-patr.org/docdisplay.php?lang=en&id=290&tla=en
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:48:48 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »

I'm not sure if this is where serb1389 read it, but you will find an article on the protocol for commemorating the prelate on the official website of the Ecumenical Patriarchate:
http://www.ec-patr.org/docdisplay.php?lang=en&id=290&tla=en

Having read this article and recalled some of my ad hoc conversations with clergy where this subject came up, I do understand that only the local bishop is to be commemorated in the petitions of the standard non-hierarchical liturgy; however, the OCA has mandated that the Metropolitan also be commemorated in every liturgy.  Is this correct?  Probably not.  My priest doesn't seem to think so.  Maybe it's some vestige of synodal mentality from when the American Metropolia was under the jurisdiction of the Russian Synod and authority in the Russian Church was very centralized.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 02:08:30 PM »

The text of the Litany of the Fathers according to the official Liturgical texts of the Coptic Church encourage so:

"That which you have purchased with the Honoured blood of Your Christ. Preserve her in peace, and all the Orthodox Bishops who are in her. Foremost, remember O Lord, our blessed Father, the honoured Archbishop and Patriarch [insert name] and his spiritual brothers [insert names of patriarchs of other Sees], and his partner in the Apostolic ministry, our Bishop Abba [insert name]."

Without having the time to look up the EXACT text, I know for sure that we do not commemorate the middle part...random bishops.  The Patriarch and local bishop are for sure though.  They are definitely in the text...as I remember it. 

As a general note in the Slavic churches, which includes the OCA, we ALWAYS commemorate the higher bishop and the local bishop.  This is why I brought up the question. 

In the GOA they do not do this.  Only when a bishop is SERVING is the Patriarch and other bishops commemorated.  Otherwise its just 1 bishop at all times, by the priest. 

I'm just trying to figure out where this came from and why the difference exists.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 11:41:03 PM »

Ukrainian tradition (sometimes changed for various reasons now):
All Hierarchy above (it means the Patriarch, the Exarch if applicable, the Local Bishop, the Auixliary Bishop, if applicable, for example when the latter is a president of a seminary or an abbot of a monastery).
Also, if other Hierarchs serve, concelebrate or even just present in a church during the service - they are commemorated as well. If these belong to another Local Orthodox Church (canonical, of course) that does not matter.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:14:51 PM »

however, the OCA has mandated that the Metropolitan also be commemorated in every liturgy.  Is this correct?  Probably not.  My priest doesn't seem to think so.  Maybe it's some vestige of synodal mentality from when the American Metropolia was under the jurisdiction of the Russian Synod and authority in the Russian Church was very centralized. 

In the "old days" the GOA commemorated the Archbishop and the local bishop; of course, at the time the local bishops were not seen as "ruling bishops," and thus the Archbishop was the only Bishop-in-place (the others were auxillary).  When the diocese were formed and bishops were set over them in 1977-79, the practice of commemorating the Archbishop remained (probably as a sign of national unity, who knows...).

Technically, there should only be one bishop commemorated in the liturgy, and two if that bishop is present.  If he's not present, then you only commemorate the diocesan bishop.  If he is, then you commemorate him, and he commemorates the president of the Synod that the diocese is directly part of.  Only the heads of the Autocephalous churches commemorate multiple bishops.

So your practice in the OCA (and our old practice in the GOA, which has been discontinued since the late 90's) is actually incorrect, but you're following the directions of your Synod, so it's o.k.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 12:33:38 PM »

Interesting. I have seen in ACROD that Met. Nicholas and the EP are commemorated every Divine Liturgy, but if an hierarchical Divine Liturgy is celebrated Archbishop Dimitrios and the EP are. Makes sense - sort of...

Αριστοκλής

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »

It's a strange situation, indeed. 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »

In the Antiochian Orthodox churches I attend, we always commemorate our diocesan bishop and our Metropolitan.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »

I believe the Patriarchs of other Sees are only commemorated if it is a Patriarchal liturgy (i.e. where the celebrant does not have a more senior bishop to commemorate).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: