OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 05:33:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is your favorite evangelical bumpersticker
My boss is a jewish carpenter - 9 (24.3%)
Warning in case of rapture car will be unmaned - 10 (27%)
Jesus fish eating the darwin fish - 3 (8.1%)
Hell no! we won't go! - 0 (0%)
I believe in the big bang theory, God said it and bang it happened - 3 (8.1%)
Other - 12 (32.4%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite evangelical bumpersticker  (Read 22966 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2007, 05:20:47 PM »

I think a cool bumpersticker would be

Roman Catholic Church..Est. 1054 A.D

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »

I think a cool bumpersticker would be

Roman Catholic Church..Est. 1054 A.D

Why?  Others would be sure to follow
The Orthodox Church...Est. 33 A.D.
The Lutheran Church...Est. 1517 A.D.
The Anglican Church...Est. 1536 A.D.
The United Methodist Church..Est. 1736 A.D.
The United Church of Christ...Est. 1956

Should we also make some for the Nestorian and non-Chalcedonian Churches?

Armenian Orthodox Church...Est. 554 A.D.

Where will it end and what purpose would that serve?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 06:27:29 PM »

Why?  Others would be sure to follow
The Orthodox Church...Est. 33 A.D.
The Lutheran Church...Est. 1517 A.D.
The Anglican Church...Est. 1536 A.D.
The United Methodist Church..Est. 1736 A.D.
The United Church of Christ...Est. 1956

Should we also make some for the Nestorian and non-Chalcedonian Churches?

Armenian Orthodox Church...Est. 554 A.D.

Where will it end and what purpose would that serve?

I think those would be awesome bumper stickers too! The Orthodox church est 33A.D is already a bumper sticker. Our church bookstore used to sell them.

As to where will it end?? The answer is never! The fun never ends! The purpose? Humor!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 07:53:46 PM »

The best one would be the Baptist church sticker. "Est. 5 B.C., dissolved 35 A.D., then restarted at a fried chicken dinner sometime around 1880, we don't remember exactly, but it was definitely during my great-grandmother's lifetime because that's where she learned to make her famous fried chicken."

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2007, 12:22:14 AM »

A great message I saw on the sign board of a local Catholic church:

Christ wants to make you fishers of men.

You catch them, and He'll clean them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:49:16 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
jayjay

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »

My favourite

"God doesn't believe in Atheists"
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2007, 11:50:13 PM »

My favourite

"God doesn't believe in Atheists"
You doubt God's existence?  God doesn't doubt yours.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »

You doubt the existence of Zeus? He doesn't doubt your existence. And his wrath will pour down upon you! You better convert, just in case. Wink Tongue
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:40:01 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 08:25:27 PM »

You doubt the existence of Zeus? He doesn't doubt your existence. And his wrath will pour down upon you! You better convert, just in case. Wink Tongue

I do not doubt the pantheon of the gods...only the plurality of hypostases Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 09:20:58 PM »

I think this is rather appropriate.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:22:00 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 06:37:04 PM »

I voted "Jesus fish eating the Darwin fish" because I used to have one on my car.  No, I wasn't an avid creationist (more of a, "God did it and that's all that matters" person).  But the Darwin fish had just started popping up on cars, and it really annoyed me.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2007, 06:47:49 PM »

If nothing else, feel sorry for the protestant sector, they have NOTHING else to hold on to besides those rapture stickers. (annoying though they are)  Can you for one minute imagine having that as a crutch and hope for years, and having it ripped out from under you well into adulthood?  It's like having no oxygen suddenly rolling around untethered in space.

I'm new here, and now you've got me curious.  Please explain?

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2007, 11:32:33 AM »

I notice there are lots of rapture bumper stickers.  Protestants stick to this doctrine as devoutly as they believe in Christ himself.  It is a 'get out of end times and all your problems' card you get to flash eventually.  Truthfully, it brings comfort to many who have struggled against great adversity in their lives, people who had things done to them as children, those with disease, you can keep picturing people that would adamantly cling to this belief.  They have already struggled so much just to survive against all odds, then to have to face all that was purported to happen during the end times (tribulation)  Emotionally they could not bear the thought of going through those times, and if there were no need to then so much the better.
While I was still pondering the whole issue of the Theotokos and fasting, it came to my attention that there was no rapture.  None of the things I was initially struggling with could I defend, the truth was right in front of my face.  When my dh's godparent mentioned there was no theological support for the rapture I felt that tether snap.  When I could not prove its existence, the rug was ripped out from under me.  Being of relatively sound mind, I slowly began to see how long I had been misled into believing this and how deceptive the enemy can be.  Scripture was used to support the rapture all along, but even that is vague and twisted to support their cause.
Gradually I stopped spinning in space, and came to rest within Orthodoxy.  It might be particularly limited to the female experience in coming to the faith.  Whereas men can rush headlong into Orthodoxy like running straight away into a cold ocean, women slowly test the waters and immerse themselves bit by bit. (About a year later I read this comparison from Frederica so I know it's probably not just me)
Depending on how indoctrinated you are into the protestant realm, the more upheaval it causes to be suddenly illuminated by the light of truth.  The rapture, seen as a reward for your faithfulness, could therefore be a bit difficult to lose and probably more difficult still to admit you once believed in it.  A matter of loss, and then a matter of "how could I have been so stupid!"
My mother is watching us, and has repeatedly asked me questions toward this topic, and I don't want to burst her bubble as harshly as mine was burst.  Grin Her life has been great sorrow and pain, but the truth is the truth.  Maybe my reaction was particularly female, but I did note a great deal of consternation on dh's part in other matters. This from two people who had been searching for a long time, so I can't imagine someone that isn't ready for illumination hearing this rather bubble bursting news.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2007, 07:16:42 PM »

I think I know what you mean about women "testing the waters."  It took me a year of study--and many times of saying "There's no way I can become Orthodox"--before I finally stepped foot into a Greek Orthodox Church.  I've been a catechumen for almost 9 months now, but I'm still a bit cautious, not jumping into chrismation (though I wanted to for a while).

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 01:25:10 AM »

"Vegetables aren't food.  Vegetables are what food eats."

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »

^ I'll bet that was on the car of a Baptist.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »

From a WELS Lutheran Church here in Omaha:

If people only used their Bibles as they did their cell phones!

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »

From a WELS Lutheran Church here in Omaha:

If people only used their Bibles as they did their cell phones!

Yeah, hold them up to their heads and blather on incessantly, especially in heavy traffic. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2007, 10:37:28 PM »

Yeah, hold them up to their heads and blather on incessantly, especially in heavy traffic. 
I remember a day many years ago when I was stuck in traffic at an intersection because of a slowpoke driver ahead of us.  On the rear of her car was a bumper sticker that said, "Hang up and drive."  When I finally passed her and could see into her car, what was she doing?  She was reading her mail. Roll Eyes
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2007, 01:17:04 PM »

She was reading her mail. Roll Eyes

Personally, I would rather people talk on their cell phones (as long as they keep an eye on the road and at least one hand on the wheel) than read their mail, which requires two eyes not on the road.  Yikes!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2007, 01:19:40 PM »

Personally, I would rather people talk on their cell phones (as long as they keep an eye on the road and at least one hand on the wheel) than read their mail, which requires two eyes not on the road.  Yikes!
But did you catch the irony and hypocrisy of her bumper sticker, considering what she was doing to slow down traffic?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2007, 08:38:30 PM »

Oh, definitely. We had a good laugh here over that. Cheesy It's amazing that seemingly everyone thinks they are an above-average driver and consequently have the right to judge everyone else's skill.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2007, 08:55:01 PM »

Oh, definitely. We had a good laugh here over that. Cheesy It's amazing that seemingly everyone thinks they are an above-average driver and consequently have the right to judge everyone else's skill.
Which brings up a good question?  Why is it that in the USA everyone is above average?  Wouldn't this then lead to the conundrum of the average person being above average? Huh
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2007, 04:49:27 PM »

Which brings up a good question?  Why is it that in the USA everyone is above average?  Wouldn't this then lead to the conundrum of the average person being above average? Huh
Yep. Garrison Keillor alludes to this desire for perfection in his radio show A Prarie Home Companion. He concludes every show with the following: "That's the news from Lake Woebegone, where all the men are good-looking, all the women are pretty, and all the children are above average." That line is beautiful satire.

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2007, 07:50:34 PM »

Well, it certainly wan;t on the car of an Unitarian.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2007, 05:06:29 PM »

Just seen on my way home from work:

I vote Bible.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »

Hmmm.  And which ticket is Mr. Bible running on?   Roll Eyes Cheesy

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2007, 05:30:38 PM »

"That's the news from Lake Woebegone, where all the men are good-looking, all the women are pretty, and all the children are above average." That line is beautiful satire.

strong.. it's "All the women are strong, all the men are good looking and all the children are above average."  Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »

I don't get it......which post are you referring to?? Doesn't make sense with the post I think it refers to....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2007, 06:12:07 PM »

I don't get it......which post are you referring to?? Doesn't make sense with the post I think it refers to....
This one:
"Vegetables aren't food.  Vegetables are what food eats."
It's the one immediately preceding my post. I sometimes use the ^ just for a shortcut. I didn't realize with this one that it'd go to another page.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2007, 06:13:19 PM »

strong.. it's "All the women are strong, all the men are good looking and all the children are above average."  Cheesy
Strong. Okay, I was trying to remember off the top of my head. Point still stands, though.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2007, 12:21:11 AM »

This one:It's the one immediately preceding my post. I sometimes use the ^ just for a shortcut. I didn't realize with this one that it'd go to another page.

Ok, that's the one I thought it was.....I'm just unsure as to why a Baptist would not have that as a bumpersticker...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2007, 01:04:56 AM »

Best bumper sticker that I thought fit the bill back when I was leaving the Protestant Church:

God save me from your followers!

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2007, 01:06:24 AM »

"Jesus and His lawyers are coming back"

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2007, 07:27:45 AM »

Ok, that's the one I thought it was.....I'm just unsure as to why a Baptist would not have that as a bumpersticker...
Ever been to one of their Sunday picnics? Six kinds of fried chicken, mashed potatoes with bacon bits smothered in gravy, beans with bacon, egg salad with bacon (and occasionally chicken). Go to one and try, just try to find a dish that doesn't have meat.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2007, 09:53:44 AM »

Now I get it! Tongue

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2007, 09:12:02 PM »

"Keep Honking.  I'm Reloading."

prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2007, 11:38:49 PM »

"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
*"____"

Edit: Alleged bumper sticker of Political Nature removed
Αριστοκλής
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 06:58:33 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2010, 06:58:56 AM »

One said: "My Karma ran over your dogma"

My vain little attempt at wit: "My dogma wizzed on your karma"

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »

I like one mocking evangelicals: "God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I ate Him.:  Shocked

I am confused, why would you assume this bumper sticker was singling out and mocking evangelicals

St. John Chrysosotom taught that God being our co-pilot, did you not know that? 
John

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »

I think I know what you mean about women "testing the waters."  It took me a year of study--and many times of saying "There's no way I can become Orthodox"--before I finally stepped foot into a Greek Orthodox Church.  I've been a catechumen for almost 9 months now, but I'm still a bit cautious, not jumping into chrismation (though I wanted to for a while).

A year?  That weren't very long...you must not have been a Reformed Reconstructionist Epistemological Post-millinialist.

john

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2010, 11:25:08 AM »

We USA citizens have been taught from birth that we could be anybody we wanted to be, do anything we wanted to do and go anywhere we wanted to go; that made us above average in comparison to the rest of the worlds population, I would suggest.

John

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »

I guess we aren't just sticking to Evangelical bumper stickers anymore, but this is one that I actually like because it is true:

"Give the Devil an inch, and he will become your ruler."

Otherwise, I really dislike these Christian stickers and T-shirts.  While from a certain perspective they are funny in a ridiculous way, they also tend to trivialize God and the Christian faith.  In other words, I find most of them offensive rather than humorous.    
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »

I guess we aren't just sticking to Evangelical bumper stickers anymore, but this is one that I actually like because it is true:

"Give the Devil an inch, and he will become your ruler."

Otherwise, I really dislike these Christian stickers and T-shirts.  While from a certain perspective they are funny in a ridiculous way, they also tend to trivialize God and the Christian faith.  In other words, I find most of them offensive rather than humorous.    

We do agree on this. However, and in light of what you and I have just agreed on, those bumper stickers, t-shirt slogans, etc., it is perhaps unfortunate that they do work. We all know dozens of commercial jingles.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: