OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:47:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is your favorite evangelical bumpersticker
My boss is a jewish carpenter - 9 (24.3%)
Warning in case of rapture car will be unmaned - 10 (27%)
Jesus fish eating the darwin fish - 3 (8.1%)
Hell no! we won't go! - 0 (0%)
I believe in the big bang theory, God said it and bang it happened - 3 (8.1%)
Other - 12 (32.4%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite evangelical bumpersticker  (Read 21519 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: June 01, 2007, 07:51:46 PM »

What is your favorite bumpersticker the evangelicals put on their vehicles??? My favorite is "Warning: In case of rapture, mother in law will be grasping for steering wheel".

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:40:11 PM »

I like the variation one which reads "In case of rapture, can I have your car?"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:44:50 PM »

It's kinda like the greeting cards crafted by a Fundamentalist group that they plan to have distributed by atheists after the Rapture.  The card says, "Told you so."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »

Another bumper sticker I just saw advertised online: "In Case of Rapture:  Can we have our country back?"
Marat
Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 10:11:34 PM »

Another bumper sticker I just saw advertised online: "In Case of Rapture:  Can we have our country back?"

I like that. I need one.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »

Perhaps the most common and universal bumper siticker found on evangelical's cars is "Bush/Cheney".

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:55:53 PM »

I saw one:  "Eternity:  Smoking or Non-Smoking?"
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:05:35 PM »

The No. 1 bumper sticker at beliefnet.com http://www.beliefnet.com/story/69/story_6925_1.html

"I don't question YOUR existence."  -God
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 03:01:49 PM »

Another variation on the rapture theme:

When the rapture comes, will you stop preaching at me?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »

Other - I remember seeing some decent funny ones, but can't remember them at the moment.  I dislike most of those listed except for the "Jewish Carpenter" and "Jesus fish eating Darwin" ones.  The others are...lame besides heretical.

I saw [Jesus fish] N'Chips once.

....(did some internet research)...

Here are some I like:
If going to church makes you a Christian, does going to the garage make you a car?
'Do whatever He tells you to do' - Mary
About that 'love thy neighbor' thing? I meant it -- God.
Christians aren't perfect... just forgiven.
Did you thank God today?
Don't blame God for the things that people do
God doesn't support Road Rage!
How's my driving?.. Pray!

In response to WWJD?, the best response I heard, and it was more of a discussion among Orthodox, I heard Fr. Gregory Jensen (for those who know him) say, "He would die, naked on a cross and humilated."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 05:36:27 PM »

Another one that I actually thought rather arrogant:

"I'm the man the devil warned you about."
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 05:37:42 PM »

In response to WWJD?, the best response I heard, and it was more of a discussion among Orthodox, I heard Fr. Gregory Jensen (for those who know him) say, "He would die, naked on a cross and humilated."

I can even hear his voice saying those words!  Smiley

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 06:06:11 PM »

I like one mocking evangelicals: "God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I ate Him.:  Shocked

Love never fails.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 06:20:02 PM »

I like the Darwin fish with legs.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »

"Got Jesus?"
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 07:51:58 PM »

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 12:10:41 AM »

I saw one that said W.W.V.D?  - What Would Voltron Do?

Troparion - Tone 1:
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 01:22:18 AM »

I can even hear his voice saying those words!  Smiley

But you probably weren't actually there when he said, were you.   Wink

Nice that you know him too.  I hope he is doing well (in Pennsylvannia?) since his demise in NorCal.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 01:44:56 AM »

But you probably weren't actually there when he said, were you.   Wink

Nice that you know him too.  I hope he is doing well (in Pennsylvannia?) since his demise in NorCal.

No, I wasn't there when he said that, but...I sure can hear him saying that based on other things he's said! Wink

And yes, last I heard...he was doing well in PA, but since I haven't heard anything about him in a year, he may be in a totally different location now. I also hope he's doing well...he's always a good one to bounce an idea off of!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:45:15 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 01:45:47 AM »

No, I wasn't there when he said that, but...I sure can hear him saying that based on other things he's said! Wink

And yes, last I heard...he was doing well in PA, but since I haven't heard anything about him in a year, he may be in a totally different location now. I also hope he's doing well...he's always a good one to bounce an idea off of!

Yup, he's a very forward person - will definitely speak his mind!
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »

Another good one

"I support the separation of church and hate"

Troparion - Tone 1:
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 06:39:50 AM »

Perhaps the most common and universal bumper siticker found on evangelical's cars is "Bush/Cheney".

So in order to be a good little "Orthodox" liberal now, we had to vote for someone that STILL violates all we hold dear?  I am not an evangelical, and I don't play one on tv.  Raised as one, but  never was a good one.  Last I recall, taking my money and spending it on tripe, and aborting new life didn't make the opponent a better Orthodox bet. If being Orthodox means I have to give up respecting life, values, morals, and blindly hand my money to beauracrats, you can have Orthodoxy back as it's no better. You guys aren't being very nice about people's sincerely held beliefs.  If nothing else, feel sorry for the protestant sector, they have NOTHING else to hold on to besides those rapture stickers. (annoying though they are)  Can you for one minute imagine having that as a crutch and hope for years, and having it ripped out from under you well into adulthood?  It's like having no oxygen suddenly rolling around untethered in space.
Remember, all they have is a small sliver of the truth-the same protestant truths the country held at it's founding for the most part.  Like it or not.
Haven't seen a good ORthodox bumper sticker that wasn't just as arrogant and snarky.  "Orthodoxy-we wrote your Bible" isn't any better.  I would even go for a snarky one if it was any good!

R.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »

So in order to be a good little "Orthodox" liberal now, we had to vote for someone that STILL violates all we hold dear?

Agreed. Can't say either party is too interested in real morality.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 06:51:16 PM »

Another good one

"I support the separation of church and hate"

I had that one on my car for a while. I love it.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
calligraphqueen
Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »

Actually I like that one as well.  And might I say, that is a lovely picture you have as your avatar!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 11:18:35 PM »

^

'Tis indeed. That's my wife and I on our wedding day near a copse of trees behind our church. My uncle took that photo, actually. He's a professional wedding photographer in Kansas City.

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 11:57:54 PM »

I always liked this one......In Case of Rapture, Can I Have Your Car?

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Marat
Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 12:02:33 AM »

I always liked this one......In Case of Rapture, Can I Have Your Car?

Hey, that was mine on post number 2. Still a classic.
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 12:08:06 AM »

Hey, that was mine on post number 2. Still a classic

ooops..sorry, I was too lazy to read the whole thread! Yes indeed, I wished I had one of these to annoy all the rapturist I'm surrounded by... Wink

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 09:08:34 AM »

Hey nacho,

I like your new avatar. It looks like something uncle Rico from napoleon dynamite would do.  Cheesy Cheesy

So in order to be a good little "Orthodox" liberal now, we had to vote for someone that STILL violates all we hold dear?  I am not an evangelical, and I don't play one on tv.  Raised as one, but  never was a good one.  Last I recall, taking my money and spending it on tripe, and aborting new life didn't make the opponent a better Orthodox bet. If being Orthodox means I have to give up respecting life, values, morals, and blindly hand my money to beauracrats, you can have Orthodoxy back as it's no better. You guys aren't being very nice about people's sincerely held beliefs.  If nothing else, feel sorry for the protestant sector, they have NOTHING else to hold on to besides those rapture stickers. (annoying though they are)  Can you for one minute imagine having that as a crutch and hope for years, and having it ripped out from under you well into adulthood?  It's like having no oxygen suddenly rolling around untethered in space.
Remember, all they have is a small sliver of the truth-the same protestant truths the country held at it's founding for the most part.  Like it or not.
Haven't seen a good ORthodox bumper sticker that wasn't just as arrogant and snarky.  "Orthodoxy-we wrote your Bible" isn't any better.  I would even go for a snarky one if it was any good!

Your reading too much into it. In the past I have always voted republican, I have never voted democrat in my life (though I will be voting for some democrats in the next election, but that is a subject for a different board). I was just pointing out how evangelicals have a high concentration of "Bush/Cheney" stickers on their cars. I think it is funny. It doesn't mean they are bad people. I used to think being christian and republican went hand and hand. I think differently now.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 03:40:15 PM »

Hey nacho,

I like your new avatar. It looks like something uncle Rico from napoleon dynamite would do.

LoL....Totally bro...I was hoping someone would get a good laugh from it. Maybe I should go out in the street in my wife beater and toss around some footballs. I need to dream big son!  Grin

Your reading too much into it. In the past I have always voted republican, I have never voted democrat in my life (though I will be voting for some democrats in the next election, but that is a subject for a different board). I was just pointing out how evangelicals have a high concentration of "Bush/Cheney" stickers on their cars. I think it is funny. It doesn't mean they are bad people. I used to think being christian and republican went hand and hand. I think differently now.

HAHA....so true. I have seen so many of those political bumper stickers and you can tell they are fundies by what they are also driving.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »

HAHA....so true. I have seen so many of those political bumper stickers and you can tell they are fundies by what they are also driving.

Works for other political parties too. Ever notice libertarians drive Geo Metro-types?

calligraphqueen
Elder

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2007, 10:18:09 PM »

uh oh, what is this former "fundie" supposed to be driving?  I am aiming for a 12 passenger van with ghost flames, fat tires, and a bumper sticker that says "my other car is an invisible jet". (big families have little in the way of exciting options) The license plate is a homeschool one with "abnrml" on it.  Grin  I don't fit in the protestant large family expectations  well either. LOL!  If I could add some snarky ORthodox stickers that would only help, once people get over counting how many of those little people clings I have on the back window.  I am embracing my "breeder" status since everyone has such an issue with it.  Right now I still have the old Burban, with NO stickers anymore.  Al Gore would pass a kidney if he knew how much gas guzzling goes on here. 
Besides, there isn't enough room for stickers on those little econobubbles.  Is there a good place to get annoying bumper stickers?  I might as well irritate the protestants a little, they keep taking issue with me anyway.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »

A message I once saw on an evangelical T-shirt:

"Working for the Lord doesn't pay much, but the retirement plan is out of this world."
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 12:36:16 AM »

The way I drive, I think I am going to put an Assembly's of God bumper sticker on my car.

By the way, people from Springfield MO are the worst drivers in the world! Can I get an Amen from somebody!!

Troparion - Tone 1:
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2007, 12:58:43 AM »

The way I drive, I think I am going to put an Assembly's of God bumper sticker on my car.

By the way, people from Springfield MO are the worst drivers in the world!

I do not intend to hijack the thread, but I respectfully disagree.

I was forced to have to live in Boston.
For 3 years.
Driving Greek students and visitors around as one of my assigned seminary tasks.
In a part of town dominated by Greeks.

Now, that situation is bad driving! Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:59:16 AM by FrChris » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 01:48:10 AM »

http://www.worldtimzone.com/blog/date/2004/06/18/

Off-topic but hilarious....."Orthodoxy: Kickin’ it old school since 33 A.D."

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2007, 10:46:46 PM »

I do not intend to hijack the thread, but I respectfully disagree.

I was forced to have to live in Boston.
For 3 years.
Driving Greek students and visitors around as one of my assigned seminary tasks.
In a part of town dominated by Greeks.

Now, that situation is bad driving! Cheesy

I have to agree with both you and Bagpiper. I visited Boston for a week during the Big Dig construction, when the highways were all but defunct and the tunnels were not yet finished. People invented extra lanes--shoulder, sidewalk, insides of buildings (okay, not the last one).

Other than Boston, I have to agree with Springfield as the worst driving climate I've ever experienced--and Springfield is a grid, with no rivers, lakes, or oceans to screw up the road system! It's bizarre how no one here can figure out how to drive. If people in California can make that mess workable, we have no excuse. At least Boston can claim the Atlantic is in their way.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 10:59:10 PM »

I have to agree with both you and Bagpiper.

Y,

You can't have it both ways. You can't have your cake and eat it too!

Troparion - Tone 1:
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »

Then I agree that Springfield is bad but that Boston is worse. So, therefore, Springfield is not the worst driving climate in the world. You're wrong. Smiley

By the way, we already have a king: Andy Williams.

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 09:31:18 PM »

Then I agree that Springfield is bad but that Boston is worse. So, therefore, Springfield is not the worst driving climate in the world. You're wrong.

Hey son, it's pretty bad out here. Being from California and a NORMAL driver, I have to control my road rage tendencies with these idiot drivers out here in the midwest. Sheeesh, don't these people have like driver's education or anything to teach them how to drive.... Roll Eyes

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2007, 09:01:29 PM »

Sheeesh, don't these people have like driver's education or anything to teach them how to drive....

Yeah, it's taught by coaches. Enough said.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2007, 12:30:24 AM »

Here's two I saw on the way to Branson this weekend:

"Do you follow Jesus this close?"  Great Christian attitude about tailgaiting Wink

"Who Would Jesus Bomb?"

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2007, 11:55:55 AM »

Possibly off-topic, but I really get peeved about the tailgating bumper stickers in general. I nearly always read them when I'm stopped behind someone at a light, and they always have an enormous attitude in them. I wonder whether people could just stop caring about what other drivers around them do and just focus on their own...oh, I see. That's why.

Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »

Trying to learn not to read bumper stickers.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: