OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy in Australia  (Read 2258 times) Average Rating: 0
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: June 01, 2007, 05:53:33 AM »

Just wondering if any other Australians would like to post how they see Orthodoxy developing in Australia, particularly amongst those of non-ethnic backgrounds (ie people not born Orthodox).

People who live in other lands please feel free to post however I would mostly be interested in what people think is the most effective way to unite the various branches of Orthodoxy so that we can have an Australian Orthodox Church.

Thank you.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:05 AM »

I wanted to know if anyone knows whether this mission is canonical.

http://www.australianorthodox.org

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
A Sombra

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:11:04 AM »

QUOTE: I wanted to know if anyone knows whether this mission is canonical.

Certainly is-if you read the website, you will find that it operates "with the blessing of Archbishop Hilarion"-now Metropolitan Hilarion (Kapral) of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. He was the Archbishop of the Diocese of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand prior to being elected Metropolitan. May still be for all I know...have heard no news of a "successor."
Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »

Just wondering if any other Australians would like to post how they see Orthodoxy developing in Australia, particularly amongst those of non-ethnic backgrounds (ie people not born Orthodox).

People who live in other lands please feel free to post however I would mostly be interested in what people think is the most effective way to unite the various branches of Orthodoxy so that we can have an Australian Orthodox Church.

Thank you.

I live in Melbourne, Australia and to be honest with you amongst the Greek Orthodox Church here the situation is pretty grim. There are many Churches here in Melbourne but with every Church I have been to there is about 1% youth that attend. Some parishes have no youth attending except the ones forced by the parents.

We have a few good theologins that have studied in Athens that take bible studies but apart from that the future looks bleak.

The greek youth here are not interested in our Holy Faith and it is very upsetting to see our Churches here with no youth.

I have a close friend who studying at the Theological College in Sydney and we have spoken about this a number of times.

There must be an outreach program for non greeks because at this rate the Churches will be empty in 10 years!

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me a sinner.

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 11:55:12 PM »

I live in Melbourne, Australia and to be honest with you amongst the Greek Orthodox Church here the situation is pretty grim. There are many Churches here in Melbourne but with every Church I have been to there is about 1% youth that attend. Some parishes have no youth attending except the ones forced by the parents.

We have a few good theologins that have studied in Athens that take bible studies but apart from that the future looks bleak.

The greek youth here are not interested in our Holy Faith and it is very upsetting to see our Churches here with no youth.

I have a close friend who studying at the Theological College in Sydney and we have spoken about this a number of times.

Thank you!! Another Greek brother in Melbourne can explain that my posts on here are not exaggerations whatsoever. What church do you attend?

There must be an outreach program for non greeks because at this rate the Churches will be empty in 10 years!

Brother you are quite optimistic if the situation stays like it is now I estimate 5 years. My newly found Coptic friend invited me to a service and their youth group and I was humbly dumbfounded at the sight. The Church had 3 priests which serve the liturgy 3 times on Sunday in different languages. The youth program was brilliant and thought provoking with scripture and patristics at the heart of the teachings, they gave pragmatic solutions to some common problems youth have. They have a whole part of the church property dedicated to youth learning (and by youth I mean anywhere between 13-25). I was almost turned to tears when I joined in with a group of about 15 youth chanting the vespers service for the Theotokos' name day, everyone was joining in it wasn't just the "chanters" and my heart was full of joy for them. If the Greeks here in Melbourne wanted to help youth instead of spending ludicrous amounts of money on churches with no one in them then they might have a better environment for the youth.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:07:38 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:28:47 AM »

It's hard for me to believe this maybe some places but not everywere....i spoken to many greek youth when i ask them there religion they proudly say orthodox greek with love for there church...
Iv been to  greek, serbian,romainian .ukrainian,russian,they were pretty much all different ages....mixed crowd....i can't speak for australia though...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »

Thank you!! Another Greek brother in Melbourne can explain that my posts on here are not exaggerations whatsoever. What church do you attend?

Brother you are quite optimistic if the situation stays like it is now I estimate 5 years. My newly found Coptic friend invited me to a service and their youth group and I was humbly dumbfounded at the sight. The Church had 3 priests which serve the liturgy 3 times on Sunday in different languages. The youth program was brilliant and thought provoking with scripture and patristics at the heart of the teachings, they gave pragmatic solutions to some common problems youth have. They have a whole part of the church property dedicated to youth learning (and by youth I mean anywhere between 13-25). I was almost turned to tears when I joined in with a group of about 15 youth chanting the vespers service for the Theotokos' name day, everyone was joining in it wasn't just the "chanters" and my heart was full of joy for them. If the Greeks here in Melbourne wanted to help youth instead of spending ludicrous amounts of money on churches with no one in them then they might have a better environment for the youth.

There are not many facilities for the youth. I see the Greek Orthodox youth of Australia lost in search of other paths, there is simply no care factor.

I have to add though there are small parish youth groups who are actively involved in their parish but there also parishes with no youth.

The situation is grim but I believe God will not abandon us and we have to pervere and be good stewards of our Faith.

Glory to God

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:51:11 AM »

Thank you.

I'm from Melbourne, and I feel the same I was one of those youth now I'm in my mid 20s and looking back there is no outreach to the Youth, how can I know what the truth is if no one explains it to me?. If the services where in English it would help so much for us Greek-Australians not only that but Australians won't see us and our church as Alien "Strange" and they would join us in worship and understand what we believe so they may have the gift of the holy spirit.

In regards to the Greek orthodox church's in america is the services all done in English and even the Gospel readings ?.

Is that parish in the CBD canonical ?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:04:22 AM by psalm110 » Logged
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:10:29 AM »

Thank you.

I'm from Melbourne, and I feel the same I was one of those youth now I'm in my mid 20s and looking back there is no outreach to the Youth, how can I know what the truth is if no one explains it to me?. If the services where in English it would help so much for us Greek-Australians not only that but Australians won't see us and our church as Alien "Strange" and they would join us in worship and understand what we believe so they may have the gift of the holy spirit.

In regards to the Greek orthodox church's in america is the services all done in English and even the Gospel readings ?.

The Greek churches on the West coast are definitely ethnic leaning but more of them are adding more and more English into the services. The OCA covers the bases for convert parishes. My first experience at a Greek parish was being asked if I was Greek, then Russian, then, why?

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »

It's hard for me to believe this maybe some places but not everywere....i spoken to many greek youth when i ask them there religion they proudly say orthodox greek with love for there church...

tweety, can you and every other Greek who has zero grasp of Orthodoxy please stop calling yourselves Orthodox Christians?

Such paradox: the pride that Greeks take in being Orthodox and Greek while simultaneously dishonouring our fathers by mocking their customs and showing utter (practical) disdain for their faith.

This pearl of wisdom from my cousin's cousin on Facebook:

"Christians, Jews, and Muslims need to learn to take the best of all other religions and their leaders. Who cares who sent the message or who is really 'God'. They all had something good to say. So far behind guys! So far behind."

Cool -- I'll let our grandparents know they didn't need to resist the Turks after all. What's the big deal confessing the Shahhada?

Greekness in Australia means protein shakes and hair-gel for the boys and twenty-dollar barely-there skirts from Supre for the girls. Having any grasp of the Most Holy Scriptures? -- that's for Asian Evangelicals, der.

I am rapidly ageing into the 30 -- 50 age bracket. Once I get there, there will be no under 30s left in my parish: the archbishop's cathedral church. By that time, a good chunk of the congregation will also have died.

Apologies for this stream of angry consciousness.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:35:12 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »

Having any grasp of the Most Holy Scriptures? -- that's for Asian Evangelicals, der.

White or Indigenous Australian Evangelical don't have any grasp of Bible?

Pardon for nitpicking but I'm honestly curious about this.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

Having any grasp of the Most Holy Scriptures? -- that's for Asian Evangelicals, der.

White or Indigenous Australian Evangelical don't have any grasp of Bible?

Pardon for nitpicking but I'm honestly curious about this.

There's no need to be so apologetic, Alpo.

Generic "white" Australians are generally godless and, depending on where one lives, one might not come across Indigenous Australians too often in everyday life.

The major growth in Australian evangelicalism is amongst Asians. They are generally as straightlaced and clean-cut as their American counterparts, though seemingly less right-leaning. In my experience, they are generally lovely people, albeit with a fundamentalist streak (and maddeningly committed to key evangelical doctrines).

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 11:31:08 PM »

I have been to three Greek churches as a visitor in the midwestern United States. In my experience, most had a good portion of the service in English, with some key things being in Greek, like the Kyrie Eleisons, the Gospel reading and some other phrases. Maybe 50/50. In one parish in St. Louis, Missouri, everything was literally in Greek then English, so the liturgy took twice as long.

When I was an inquirer I visited one Greek parish and was kindly directed to the OCA church down the street for non-Greeks by an old Greek lady.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:36:26 AM »

Thank you.

d

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America employs what Fr. George Nicozisan(sp) characterized in the late 1970's as "flexible bilingualism," meaning that the Divine Services are conducted based on the needs of the congregation.  Archbishop Demetrios uses substantial English, if that is to what the parish is accustomed. In my region within the Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh, both our current bishop, Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh, and his predecessor Metropolitan Maximos, support this principle and serve using substantial English.  Our choirs perhaps hold back on chanting as much English as they should, but among 6 GOAA parishes in this region, 4 use substantial English, much more than half; in my parish which was a forerunner in the adoption of English, our priests serve the Sunday Liturgy nearly exclusively in English, but the choir has been slow in migrating, so, the Sunday Liturgy is probably 70% in English; in the Summer months when the choir is off, the Liturgy is probably 85% in English with chanters chanting. The Epistle and Gospel, and the Symbol of Faith are exclusively read in English, always; the Lord's Prayer, in both languages. Weddings, Christenings, and Funerals are nearly exclusively in English.  But on a weekday, with older people dominating the congregation, more Greek is used, so, perhaps a weekday Liturgy would be conducted with half Greek. I have heard of parishes where the priests do not serve enough English elsewhere, outside our metropolis, but I think they are the exception at this point.  We have an inner-city parish, locally, the Mother Church, that retains a good deal of the Greek, as this parish attracts many immigrants no mater where they reside. There is another small parish that is dominated by immigrants, so, they're services utilize Greek, mostly.

Ancillary to this topic, but relevant, Archbishop Stylianos of Australia was a part of a 3 member Exarchy appointed by the Ecumenical Patriarchate to review the situation of the Holy Archdiocese a few months after Archbishop Iakovos' retirement was announced in 1995.  They met with many people, including the priests within each GOAA diocese.  One of the priests asked Archbishop Stylianos why he didn't have an Australian accent.  He replied that he didn't have much need to use English!  The priests went berserk, privately of course.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:55:48 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 02:51:03 AM »

I was looking into relocating to Australia for work last year and was wondering what the current diaspora situation was, ie: what jurisdiction is more evangelical and supports growth from Gearing toward converts. Anyone know the answer?

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 03:12:24 AM »

There's no need to be so apologetic, Alpo.

Sorry. Wink

Racial issues tend to be fairly sensitive so I'm not exactly sure what I can and what I can't say about them outside of my own country without people getting offended.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:13:56 AM by Alpo » Logged
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:50 AM »

I was looking into relocating to Australia for work last year and was wondering what the current diaspora situation was, ie: what jurisdiction is more evangelical and supports growth from Gearing toward converts. Anyone know the answer?

Hi simplygermain,

I don't know what the situation with Orthodoxy in Australia specifically is like.  However, the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines has a strong focus on catering for the needs of English-speaking people and converts.  The archdiocese website has information on current outreach and growth areas and parishes.

HTH
Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »

Does anyone have the Divine Liturgy Book - http://www.crossroadbooks.com.au/liturgical-service-books/divine-liturgy-the-greek-archdiocese.html

Particularly this one and anyone use it ?
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »

ROCOR & the Antiochians certainly seem to be putting much effort into mission work in Australia and their missions which I've seen are most hospitable to visitors.
The Greeks seem more interested in serving their own community yet are friendly for the most part, at least those that I've met.
Other than this, other Orthodox jurisdictions seem to have some interest in mission yet are often caught by cultural/linguistic issues which hinder their desires. The Ethiopians would be an acute example of this given their zeal yet limited interaction with the broader community.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »

Thank you.

d

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America employs what Fr. George Nicozisan(sp) characterized in the late 1970's as "flexible bilingualism," meaning that the Divine Services are conducted based on the needs of the congregation.  Archbishop Demetrios uses substantial English, if that is to what the parish is accustomed. In my region within the Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh, both our current bishop, Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh, and his predecessor Metropolitan Maximos, support this principle and serve using substantial English.  Our choirs perhaps hold back on chanting as much English as they should, but among 6 GOAA parishes in this region, 4 use substantial English, much more than half; in my parish which was a forerunner in the adoption of English, our priests serve the Sunday Liturgy nearly exclusively in English, but the choir has been slow in migrating, so, the Sunday Liturgy is probably 70% in English; in the Summer months when the choir is off, the Liturgy is probably 85% in English with chanters chanting. The Epistle and Gospel, and the Symbol of Faith are exclusively read in English, always; the Lord's Prayer, in both languages. Weddings, Christenings, and Funerals are nearly exclusively in English.  But on a weekday, with older people dominating the congregation, more Greek is used, so, perhaps a weekday Liturgy would be conducted with half Greek. I have heard of parishes where the priests do not serve enough English elsewhere, outside our metropolis, but I think they are the exception at this point.  We have an inner-city parish, locally, the Mother Church, that retains a good deal of the Greek, as this parish attracts many immigrants no mater where they reside. There is another small parish that is dominated by immigrants, so, they're services utilize Greek, mostly.

Ancillary to this topic, but relevant, Archbishop Stylianos of Australia was a part of a 3 member Exarchy appointed by the Ecumenical Patriarchate to review the situation of the Holy Archdiocese a few months after Archbishop Iakovos' retirement was announced in 1995.  They met with many people, including the priests within each GOAA diocese.  One of the priests asked Archbishop Stylianos why he didn't have an Australian accent.  He replied that he didn't have much need to use English!  The priests went berserk, privately of course.

I heard about the "Troika" and "the leader of the band."  At Holy Cross, the Archbishop stated that his goal was the establishment of Hellenism (quote unquote) in Australia.  Orthodoxy was an afterthought, if that.  The person who told me this was a recent convert, who now is heavily involved in missions.  Thank God he was not dissuaded.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 11:49:22 PM »

Dear God; save our Holy Orthodoxy!

Archbishop Stylianos of Australia was a contender among a handful of candidates in July, 1999, when thankfully, Metropolitan Demetrios of Vresthena, an axillary bishop to the Archbishop of Athens, was transferred from the Church of Greece to the Ecumenical Patriarchate for the purpose of election to the primacy of the Holy Archdiocese of America, upon the forced "resignation" of Archbishop Spyridon.  "The National Herald" reported that Archbishop Stylianos had packed his personal library in anticipation of his election to the American Throne and  that his relationship with Patriarch Bartholomew soured when he was not elected to the prestigious Throne of the Holy Archdiocese of America.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:09:51 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »

Dear God; save our Holy Orthodoxy!

Archbishop Stylianos of Australia was a contender among a handful of candidates in July, 1999, when thankfully, Metropolitan Demetrios of Vresthena, an axillary bishop to the Archbishop of Athens, was transferred from the Church of Greece to the Ecumenical Patriarchate for the purpose of election to the primacy of the Holy Archdiocese of America, upon the forced "resignation" of Archbishop Spyridon.  "The National Herald" reported that Archbishop Stylianos had packed his personal library in anticipation of his election to the American Throne and  that his relationship with Patriarch Bartholomew soured when he was not elected to the prestigious Throne of the Holy Archdiocese of America.
Many years to Archbishop Demetrios!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Australia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: