OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 01:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which jurisdiction has the most converts ?
Antiochians - 14 (51.9%)
Greeks - 8 (29.6%)
OCA - 5 (18.5%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Orthodox Church"  (Read 1408 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: May 12, 2003, 06:16:25 PM »

I'm sure I know which one will win but I wanted to open up a discussion about the various "intros" to Orthodoxy by this title.  I like Ware's revised edition the most, but I really enjoyed the clear presentation in Meyendorff's work (despite many, many typos!)

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 06:27:49 PM »

I'm reading Ware's revised version right now, but I'm only on the various events in church history. It seems like a good intro to Orthodoxy and very accessible to everyone. I believe a lot of people on this board have also commented on the book previously. How about an OC.net review?

Matt
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »

I vote for The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture by Fr. John Anthony McGuckin.

Oh, and regarding the poll, I think the Antiochians have the highest percentage of converts, but that the GOA has the highest total number of converts (due to marriages more than anything else).

^..^

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »

Are you bored? You could help me cleaning my apartment. There's some dishes that should be taken care of.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »

Qui ex Frobie Clintioque procedit...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »

Are you bored? You could help me cleaning my apartment. There's some dishes that should be taken care of.

Not bored at all Smiley I have a ton of stuff to do...

Though I'm glad you posted here, because I just noticed a mistake in my last post. It should have said: "I think the Antiochians have the highest percentage of converts as part of their total membership" or something along those lines.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »

Pretty sure the Greeks win by a mile.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »

Kallistos Ware's latest version implicitly condones birth control and suggests that we're open to ordaining women in the future, so many have become uncomfortable with his writings in recent years.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »

Kallistos Ware's latest version implicitly condones birth control

[source]

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »

I have not had the opportunity to read  Fr. McGuckin's work yet.  I did read Metropolitan Kallistos Ware's work a few years ago and liked it a lot.  I do not remember the birth control or ordination issues being in the work I read.    I have no clue which jurisdiction has the most converts.  The Church is not only about numbers.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »

Kallistos Ware's latest version implicitly condones birth control

[source]
It's not a huge part of the discussion in the book, but somewhere toward the end he discusses how the pastoral approach to birth control has somewhat softened in recent years.

EDIT: Here's the quote:

The use of contraceptives and other devices for birth control is on the whole strongly discouraged in the Orthodox Church. Some bishops and theologians altogether condemn the employment of such methods. Others, however, have recently begun to adopt a less strict position, and urge that the question is best left to the discretion of each individual couple, in consultation with the spiritual father.
Source.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:43:25 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 05:20:16 PM »

I've read that passage. It doesn't "condone" birth control. It suggests that it is discouraged or that you should talk to your priest about it. Nothing shocking there.

-Samuel Coleridge
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 11:20:52 PM »

I've read that passage. It doesn't "condone" birth control. It suggests that it is discouraged or that you should talk to your priest about it. Nothing shocking there.

It says that it is at the discretion of each individual couple, which suggests that they can personally decide to use birth control and consider consulting their priest about it. And I used the words "implicitly condones", which is exactly what it does. Read it again.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:21:55 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »

"consider consulting"

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 12:21:57 AM »

Kallistos Ware's latest version implicitly condones birth control and suggests that we're open to ordaining women in the future, so many have become uncomfortable with his writings in recent years.
Not sure where you got the information for birth control, but there were women deacons in the Church so I'm confused with the problem.  If he said they should be priests I could understand.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:58 AM »

It also places the greatest responsibility on the priest to provide proper guidance.  If they do, the end result will be the same.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 05:51:12 AM »

It says that it is at the discretion of each individual couple, which suggests that they can personally decide to use birth control and consider consulting their priest about it. And I used the words "implicitly condones", which is exactly what it does. Read it again.

Others, however, have recently begun to adopt a less strict position, and urge that the question is best left to the discretion of each individual couple, in consultation with the spiritual father.

Met. Ware doesn't suggests that the consulting of the spiritual father is optional. Quite the contrary, in fact. And even then
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:51:30 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »

While it's not at the absurd numbers it was when I resurrected the thread, I'm surprised the Antiochians are still well ahead in this poll. The Greeks have more sub deacons named Bill than the Antiochians have members.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:43:36 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: