OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 09, 2014, 10:46:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book for my philosophy teacher  (Read 808 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: November 13, 2007, 01:22:54 AM »

I was looking for a gift to give to my philosophy teacher about the Orthodox Church. He is an atheist but enjoys learning about religion. What would be a good book for him?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 01:54:32 AM »

I was looking for a gift to give to my philosophy teacher about the Orthodox Church. He is an atheist but enjoys learning about religion. What would be a good book for him?

You mean good for his soul? Really engaging to him on an intellectual and personal level?

If so, I would probably say Lost Christianity, a book by Jacob Needleman, a professor of philosophy and comparative religion. He's an extremely prolific author and his prose is excellent. Here's a summary from his Web site:

...Lost Christianity is a profound reexamination of the essence of Christian thought and faith. Philosopher and bestselling author Jacob Needleman has sought out the ancient texts and modern practitioners of essential Christianity, whose message speaks directly to contemporary seekers.

Read more about the book on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Christianity-Jacob-Needleman/dp/1585422533/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194932008&sr=1-12

Very good for academic atheists and philosophy types, provided they are at least somewhat open to things spiritual.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »

By the way, prodromas, I thought I should make it clear that Lost Christianity ISN'T about the Orthodox Church. It's about a modern search for authentic Christian faith and practice. That kind of search is obviously compatible with the Orthodox Church, but, for Needleman, it's not bound by any communion or ecclesiastical polity.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:56:19 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: