OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 04:46:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Law Of God  (Read 1597 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: September 27, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »

I am thinking of ordering the Law of God from Light & Life Publishing, but before I spend $60 I thought I'd ask anyone if they have read it and if it is worth the price.  I could get two soft back books for that price, and if so does anyone think the multivolume set of The Incarnate God and The Living God would be a better substitute?  I'm looking to fill out my library with more basic Orthodox cathetical books.  Next I'm going to work on adding books on the history of the Liturgy and the development of Orthodox liturgical and sacramental practices. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »

I am thinking of ordering the Law of God from Light & Life Publishing, but before I spend $60 I thought I'd ask anyone if they have read it and if it is worth the price.

Man, it's been a long time since I read that 'un. I wouldn't spend $60 for it, especially when one can get largely similar information for free from "These Truths We Hold" at St. Tikhon's site:

http://www.stots.edu/these_truths_we_hold.html

If you want a physical copy, you could buy one from them.

I could get two soft back books for that price, and if so does anyone think the multivolume set of The Incarnate God and The Living God would be a better substitute?  I'm looking to fill out my library with more basic Orthodox cathetical books.  Next I'm going to work on adding books on the history of the Liturgy and the development of Orthodox liturgical and sacramental practices. 

Those series would probably be the best for you, since they approach catechism from a liturgical perspective. Two birds with one stone.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 08:41:26 AM »

I am thinking of ordering the Law of God from Light & Life Publishing, but before I spend $60 I thought I'd ask anyone if they have read it and if it is worth the price.  I could get two soft back books for that price, and if so does anyone think the multivolume set of The Incarnate God and The Living God would be a better substitute?  I'm looking to fill out my library with more basic Orthodox cathetical books.  Next I'm going to work on adding books on the history of the Liturgy and the development of Orthodox liturgical and sacramental practices. 

God bless!+

Is it the Book of Metropolitan Philaret ? ( On the Law of God ?)
Because this can be read online!

In CHRIST

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »

Is it the Book of Metropolitan Philaret ? ( On the Law of God ?)
Because this can be read online!

No, I believe it's a 19th century (?) Russian translation originally written by Seraphim Slobodskoy (at least that's what Light & life describes it as)

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:48:40 AM »

I got the book early in my life as an Orthodox Christian.  It was of great help and I felt worth the price.  It contains an Orthodox understanding about the Old and new testaments stories that I used with my children and now use with my grand children. Its explainations of the faith were well written and it is a good translation especially for those who are in a slavic church ( differences being the "t"raditions differences beytween Slavic and byzantine practice).  It is one of the most used catechisms in our home.

Suggest you check it out from a library if you can to view it so you can determine if it is what you want $60.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 05:13:18 PM »

As a catechetical text, it is as good as most available in English, with the above note regarding it being weighted towards Slavic traditions. Would I pay $60 for it, NO! I purchased it when it first became available for $35. I am sure you can find something comparable in quality and information and have money left over to purchase an additional book.

Friar Tuck
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:17:57 PM »

What is this "Law of God"? I've read where there's a great controversy in Russia right now because the Orthodox Church there is trying to reintroduce this back into the elementary schools' curriculum. Evidently, it was a required subject during the time of the Tsars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/world/europe/23russia.html
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »

FWIW, I really enjoy my copy. Perhaps it's not the best or the cheapest, but it does have a ton of great information. If you go with the Law of God, let us know what you think.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 05:58:44 AM »

Good Morning!

Here is the The Law of God online:

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/law_of_god_slobodskoy_1.htm

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/law_of_god_slobodskoy_2.htm

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/law_of_god_slobodskoy_3.htm

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Tags: