OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:33:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Orthodox Chapel at Naval Academy  (Read 2591 times) Average Rating: 0
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« on: May 28, 2007, 08:38:14 AM »

Hello Everyone,

From what I've seen online, the Naval Academy doesn't have an Orthodox chapel on its grounds. I'm going there for a 5-day Summer Program this Saturday, so I'll be able to see for myself. However, though I would like to go there for college, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do if I can't attend liturgy for 4-5 months at a time (until I come home for vacation). They have Catholic Mass, which I suppose I could go to for prayer, but certainly not for communion. It seems that there is an Orthodox Church about 20 miles away, but frankly, there's no time for that sort of commute in a Federal Academy.

I know I should probably contact my bishop, but I don't even know what he'd do. I'll probably e-mail him, but I'd still like some suggestions from the community.

In Christ,
Will

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:37:34 AM »

You could always do a Reader's service.

Undoubtedly you will be busy but you may in fact occasionally be able to make the 20 mile trip--even the most busy programs let people take off some time occasionally.  But obviously you are at the whim of the administration.

Even if there is no Orthodox chapel, are you sure there is no chaplain that visits? Did you check out the OCA chaplains directory? From my understanding they have some that go around a circuit, but I could be wrong.

So probably, a Reader's service is the best option for week in week out, with occasional visits from the chaplain and/or a trek to the parish 20 miles away.  Where is the Naval Academy?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:38:22 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »

It's in Annapolis, Maryland.

I did a search on all the major jurisdiction's websites. I just did a search on the OCA website for Chaplains, but aside from the one at the Air Force Academy, they're all busy overseas or in hospitals.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »

Dear Simayan (Will),

Annapolis College Ministry
Under the direction of Subdeacon Robert Miclean and with the assistance of parish volunteers, the college ministry currently consists of two local, accredited chapters of the national Orthodox College Fellowship (OCF) which meet regularly with students at the U.S. Naval Academy and at St. John’s College in Annapolis, respectively. Weekly Reader's Vespers are held at both campuses as well as a weekly Bible study for the students. Additionally, the OCF Chaplain is Subdeacon Robert who meets regularly with inquirers and has sponsored several of our catechumens who are part of the fruit of the college ministry and outreach in Annapolis. You may contact the ministry at (410) 850-4744 or their webpage located at www.annapoliscollegeministry.org for more information.

A local parish that also support this ministry is within 25 miles of Annapolis---Holy Cross Antiochian Orthodox Church pastored by Very Rev Gregory Matthews -Greene, his Khoureya/wife is noted Orthodox writer Frederika Matthews-Greene.  The parish is located  105 N camp Meade Rd in Linthicum, Md 21090 home (410) 850-5090.

I hope this information will help.

Thomas

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 12:29:18 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:47:11 AM »

Thank you, Thomas!

Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »

Having been to the USNA on ministry-related business, as well as the other service academies, it is true that the USNA does not have an Orthodox chapel. I believe there is a Greek parish in Annapolis, and several other parishes within short distances of Annapolis. As has been previously suggested, you can also contact the national OCF office and they can put you in touch with their outreach there. Also the parishes within the District of Columbia are a short ride from Annapolis, and they may be able to help out with transportation.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Friar Tuck
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »

Hello Everyone,

From what I've seen online, the Naval Academy doesn't have an Orthodox chapel on its grounds. I'm going there for a 5-day Summer Program this Saturday, so I'll be able to see for myself. However, though I would like to go there for college, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do if I can't attend liturgy for 4-5 months at a time (until I come home for vacation). They have Catholic Mass, which I suppose I could go to for prayer, but certainly not for communion. It seems that there is an Orthodox Church about 20 miles away, but frankly, there's no time for that sort of commute in a Federal Academy.

I know I should probably contact my bishop, but I don't even know what he'd do. I'll probably e-mail him, but I'd still like some suggestions from the community.

In Christ,
Will

Another thing you should probably consider very seriously is what you will do after graduation and commissioning.  As a Marine or Naval officer, you can count on being deployed, most likely in situations where you won't have an Orthodox chaplain available, much less the sort of outreach that might be available at Annapolis.  If this is an issue for you when it comes to merely attending the Naval Academy (and you give the impression that it's a very serious one for you), it will be an even greater issue down the road.  Even if you can manage at Annapolis given the options available, will you be able to live with being at sea for months with only Protestant or RC chaplains available (or even Muslim or Jewish ones)?  That's something you should give some thought to.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »

Another thing you should probably consider very seriously is what you will do after graduation and commissioning.  As a Marine or Naval officer, you can count on being deployed, most likely in situations where you won't have an Orthodox chaplain available, much less the sort of outreach that might be available at Annapolis.  If this is an issue for you when it comes to merely attending the Naval Academy (and you give the impression that it's a very serious one for you), it will be an even greater issue down the road.  Even if you can manage at Annapolis given the options available, will you be able to live with being at sea for months with only Protestant or RC chaplains available (or even Muslim or Jewish ones)?  That's something you should give some thought to.

But he will get to kill moslems, and in doing so all sins shall be forgiven...oh, I guess it was a pope who said what. Blah, close enough Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 08:19:23 PM »

But he will get to kill moslems, and in doing so all sins shall be forgiven...oh, I guess it was a pope who said what. Blah, close enough Wink

If you feel that way, let me give you a recruiter's number, GiC. Wink

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 09:14:10 PM »

If you feel that way, let me give you a recruiter's number, GiC. Wink

I have a phonebook, if I wasn't a lazy fatbody I would have probably given him a call long ago. My ONLY redeeming quality would be on the rifle range...but I doubt they'd let me get that far. Grin

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 10:17:18 PM »

A local parish that also support this ministry is within 25 miles of Annapolis---Holy Cross Antiochian Orthodox Church pastored by Very Rev Gregory Matthews -Greene, his Khoureya/wife is noted Orthodox writer Frederika Matthews-Greene.  The parish is located  105 N camp Meade Rd in Linthicum, Md 21090 home (410) 850-5090.

I hope this information will help.

Thomas

I visited that parish when I lived in Washington, DC, area. That was amazing! Very inspirational and spiritual. Wonderful and very welcoming people.

Also, you can find info about locations of Orthodox parsihes here:
http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org/sr2_0_0/locator.php

Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church also gave me an excellent impression. Very nice church. A size of a cathedral.
http://www.schgochurch.org/

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:18:09 PM by Starlight » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 10:37:16 PM »

If you need help connecting to the OCF people there PM me...I have an insider's scoop on the whole operation.   Wink  (seriously)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »

I have a phonebook, if I wasn't a lazy fatbody I would have probably given him a call long ago. My ONLY redeeming quality would be on the rifle range...but I doubt they'd let me get that far. Grin

You'd be a natural in PSYOPS.

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »

"Another thing you should probably consider very seriously is what you will do after graduation and commissioning.  As a Marine or Naval officer, you can count on being deployed, most likely in situations where you won't have an Orthodox chaplain available, much less the sort of outreach that might be available at Annapolis.  If this is an issue for you when it comes to merely attending the Naval Academy (and you give the impression that it's a very serious one for you), it will be an even greater issue down the road."

Being a retired military member, I am afraid that is a choice that anyone wishing to serve in most countries' armed forces will face. Even in the  US where we have attached military Chaplains there are few to go around and many Stateside Postings do not have an Orthodox Priest or an Orthodox Church nearby.  Often when a Priest is on post, he has troubles scheduling a chapel for services as the majority (Catholic, Proetstants, and Jews have fiorst call on the chapel's available.  In USAREUR (US Army Europe) or the European Command, most orthodox Christians travel long distances to major cities to attend Orthodox liturgies in German or Church Slavonic---US soldiers wait for an annual 1 week Orthodox Retreat at Berchtesgaden for spiritual confession and communion.

My suggestion is learn the Readers Services and try to organize a serviceman's group wherever you are.  The military Chaplains are required to assist you even if you do not fuit into the "majority" groupings. They will also notify Orthodox Chaplains of your groups existence and even try to schedule some monthly or quarterly visits by the Orthodox Chaplains to provide local services.

This is one of the reasons that just as with prisoners and travelors who can not be present at Orthodox services, we pray for the those who serve in the Armed Forces that there will come a time of peace and they can once again join us in worship. Don't forget to pray for soldiers  in your daily prayers and assure that your priest has the name of your military family members and friends to pray for at all services.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »

Even in the  US where we have attached military Chaplains there are few to go around and many Stateside Postings do not have an Orthodox Priest or an Orthodox Church nearby. 
Now that we are allies with many of the former Eastern Bloc countries who have many Orthodox serving in their armed forces American Orthodox troops are being served by the chaplains for countries like Romania and Russia and vis versa. I was told from by an Orthodox special forces member that he was enjoying his most recent assignment in an undisclosed country because of the close proximity to a group of Romanian troops. He said it was the first time that he was able to attend services several times a week.

Joseph
authio
Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »

You've got several popes that did it, so don't just credit one!
Alexander II, Gregory VII... there's more but those are the only ones that concerned by research.  For more info I recommend Reconquest and Cursade in Medieval Spain by Joseph O'Callaghan.  He talks about how crusaders could choose the Holy Land or Spain for an indulgence.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 08:14:34 PM »

You've got several popes that did it, so don't just credit one!
Alexander II, Gregory VII... there's more but those are the only ones that concerned by research.  For more info I recommend Reconquest and Cursade in Medieval Spain by Joseph O'Callaghan.  He talks about how crusaders could choose the Holy Land or Spain for an indulgence.

Oh, I also know of Emperors and Patriarchs who have said similar things...I'm just too lazy to look up the references.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: