OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 07:53:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schmemann's The Eucharist  (Read 1557 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: May 22, 2007, 02:06:46 AM »

Hi all,

I'm currently writing my final run of my long paper on 11th century Spanish monarchy and liturgy.  If anyone has any quotes from Schmemann's The Eucharist on the meaning of liturgy to Christian identity, let me know a quote and a citation!

Thanks,
Authio

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »

Hi Authiodionitist,

"Off top of my head," from memory, I can quote one sentence from Fr. Schmemann (not from his "Eucharist," though - rather, from "For the Life of the World"):

"The Church does not "have" liturgy; the Church IS liturgy."

George

Love never fails.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »

My books are almost all packed away right now.  But I don't know that I would use The Eucharist.  I believe that it was written in Russian first.  There are those who say that it is quite a poor translation into English.  ( I have to admit that I have not looked at it much.  So what do I know? You might well find good things in it to use.)  As George has hinted,For the Life of the World should provide plenty of quotes that you could use.  I would recommend that you consult this book.

JB
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:04:41 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:49:25 PM »

Here is the full text of the English translation of "The Eucharist":

http://books.google.com/books?id=Gp8st5bihlAC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=schmemann+eucharist&source=web&ots=s1ngPXN-eT&sig=OvJXwDQQXC5TjyeVZEdf65ZUILo

Yes, Fr. Alexander wrote it in Russian (it took him almost three years, his last years on earth), and then it was posthumously translated into English.

Love never fails.
authio
Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 08:45:41 PM »

I've used the comments so far, and I have a paragraph that's open for critique....

Every Christian throughout this era has worshipped in liturgy, which is a “triunity of assembly, the eucharist, and the Church” to “reveal [and] realize the Church.”   Assembly is the event, eucharist (meaning thanksgiving) is the action, and the Church is the community; in this triunity each Christian sees the whole world at the service of God, and so he worships in liturgy, that is, to participate in the work of the people to unify the world through

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: