OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 05:36:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is your favorite kind of whiskey
Scotch - 11 (28.2%)
Irish - 11 (28.2%)
Bourbon - 12 (30.8%)
Canadian - 3 (7.7%)
Other - 2 (5.1%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite kind of whiskey??  (Read 5204 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: May 21, 2007, 02:14:26 AM »

With the reconciliation of ROCOR and the MP, and Orthodox unity in America growing, it is definiently time for a good drink to celebrate; especially before the apostles fast!. What is your favorite kind of whiskey?? After you vote, post what brand is your favorite.

And Greekischristian, Ouzo doesn't count. Grin  (Though it does sound good right now)

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 02:16:20 AM »

My favorite is "Michael Collins irish whiskey" It is very smooth and tastey. My second favorite is "Eligiah Craig bourbon". I never thought any bourbon could beat out Mr. Daniels, but Mr. Craig took him to task!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:18:39 AM »

I went to a whiskey party at a parishoner's house once...actually it was scotch I think.  Interesting comparing, but ultimately I'd just prefer a mixed drink if something hard or vodka or tequila shots.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:43:23 AM »

My favorite is "Michael Collins irish whiskey" It is very smooth and tastey. My second favorite is "Eligiah Craig bourbon". I never thought any bourbon could beat out Mr. Daniels, but Mr. Craig took him to task!

I concur, those are some great spirits! For scotch I would go with Macallan 18 year and the Balvenie 12 year. Throw in a nice cigar or pipe and you got yourself one fine evening ahead son...... Wink

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
StephenG

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:13:29 AM »

Black Bush (triple distilled) Irish whisky, and as smooth as velvet. But only as a rare treat. I usually avoid drinking spirits and take beer/lager very infrequently.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:35:36 AM »

Tullamore Dew.
Nothing else'll do.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 08:13:49 AM »

Maker's Mark Bourbon.

Ah cain't believe some of the stuff y'all's been drinkin'...

Besides, hadn't we all worked out which alcoholic beverage various folks have nobility over?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »

I don't think bourbon should be allowed. Not everyone accepts that it is a whiskey....
Oh, hang on...this thread is about reconcilliation and burying the hatchet....
OK, I'll allow bourbon......

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »

It's worth noting that if you're in the U.S. or Ireland it's "whiskey", and if you're in Canada or Scotland, it's "whisky".

The question is not exactly a straightforward one, because there are factors that would go in to this such as:

What price range are you talking about?
What time of year would you be drinking it?
What would you be using it for (a cocktail, on the rocks, drinking it neat)?
Are you talking a special occasional drink, or an every day whiskey?

Based on all of those it would be difficult for me to simply pick one favorite.  Two I can say that are pretty much not worth bothering with for the most part are Canadian whisky and blended Scotch.  There are some decent ones, but in general to me they really lack character.  Canadian whisky is really controlled by a few major distillers, and doesn't have the breadth as some other styles/regions.  Irish whiskey I certainly enjoy, and despite the fact that there are only three major distilleries left in Ireland (two in the republic and one in the north), there is a still a number of "brands" maintained by these three that differ in style and taste.

American whiskey (the term I use because Tennessee whiskey is not Bourbon) and Single Malt Scotch have the widest breadth of distillers and styles, and in my opinion produce the best specialty, aged and small batch whiskies.  So I would probably term those two the "best", though generally I still prefer Irish whiskey to Scotch.

In what I would term the affordable range, i.e. under $40 for a 750 ml bottle, I would say it's hard to beat Woodford Reserve for a Bourbon.  Fr. Chris mentioned Maker's Mark which I think is a good value too for a very good Bourbon, and I had a Maker's Mark julep this weekend.  It's a little less sweet than some Bourbons because of the amount of wheat they use in the mashbill.

If you're really snobby, you can debate which type of still makes the best whiskey.

None of this however deals with the question of what is the best Tequila.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 11:07:23 AM »

Scotch. Black Horse.

Although, being a Ukrainian, I would prefer Horilka z Pertsem (a Ukrainian vodka with very hot red pepper) any day.  Smiley

Love never fails.
Innocent_T

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »

Scotch. Black Horse.

Although, being a Ukrainian, I would prefer Horilka z Pertsem (a Ukrainian vodka with very hot red pepper) any day.  Smiley

Although German I am prefering a good vodka over a whiskey/whisky too Smiley

Rdr. Innocent, a sinner
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »

A Nice Irish Whiskey soothes both the Scotch and the Irish within me.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 12:42:36 PM »

I almost never drink whiskey/whisky.  But Irish is by far my preferred type. 

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 04:59:40 PM »

I've enjoyed Crown Royal lately...a good single malt scotch is nice also, various Black labels...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 06:02:17 PM »

Gentleman Jack.  Twice charcoal distilled.  Smmmmmmmooth.   Grin

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 07:23:52 PM »

I likes my liquor clear.....Vodka please

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 09:41:39 PM »

Gentleman Jack here..
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »

I've enjoyed Crown Royal lately...a good single malt scotch is nice also, various Black labels...

Also one of my favorites....working part time as a bartender at one of the most upscale places in town gives me the priveledge to try out the most premium whiskeys. We recently just got a very limited edition Crown Royal XR. I think it goes for around $150.00 a bottle. We sell it for like $27.00 a shot. Its pretty good stuff.

Gentleman Jack.  Twice charcoal distilled.  Smmmmmmmooth.

Hey son, that's a mighty fine choice of spirit there!  Cheesy IF you like Gentlemen Jack, try out Elijah Craig, most places should sell it for less than twenty dollars. I have some more fine choices up my sleeve if any of you kids need a reccomendation on a fine whiskey.  Grin

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 12:07:45 AM »

Posted by: Nacho
Throw in a nice cigar or pipe and you got yourself one fine evening ahead son......

Thanks Dad!!

Troparion - Tone 1:
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 12:18:12 AM »

Gentleman Jack or Jameson Irish....

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 12:20:17 AM »

Thanks Dad!!

haha...lol.. Cheesy

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 02:36:08 AM »

Nothing beats a good single malt (Scotch), either Highland or Island, preferrably, though there are some fantastic ones from other regions too. They make a great one on Jura and several wonderful ones on Islay that stand out in my memory. Irish whiskey is also good, though not as good. I've never drunk (or even heard of) Canadian whisky so I can't comment. I have (and this will probably make me unique on this board) drunk Welsh whisky and it's very good, with its own character. It's not made in large quantities, I believe there is only one distiller left (though there were many more in the 19th century) but I went to university in Bangor, and you can buy it there in one of the shops in town (if any whisky afficionados are ever likely to be there, drop me a line and I'll point you in the right direction).

As for American whisky/bourbon, I've only ever drunk one type, Jack Daniels (we don't exactly get a vast selection over here). It would be an understatement to say I dislike the stuff. At the time I still smoked and I think I would have rather drunk lighter fluid from my Zippo (I shall now stand back and let the southerners on the board verbally beat me to a pulp).

James
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:37:31 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »

(I shall now stand back and let the southerners on the board verbally beat me to a pulp).

We ain't got time to keep up with all y'alls peculiar tastes and habits. And we're too polite to point 'em out.  Cheesy BTW, it's Southerners with a capital 'S'. The north is a direction, the South is a location.
But I will say that we do need y'all, for we could not properly educate our youngsters on the difference between good and bad if not for our Northen neighbors. Ain't no account to get all riled up...just a little friendly discourse  Cheesy

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 03:06:57 PM »

BTW, it's Southerners with a capital 'S'. The north is a direction, the South is a location.

It is a location and also a state of mind. I have a Ukrainian friend who used to live in the North of the USA and to work for a company where his boss was from the American South and the rest of the employees were Yankees. Eventually the boss fired all of them but kept my Ukie friend, telling him, "I just caint tolerate these furriners, you know, you are so closer to me than these strange people from Connecticut and what not."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:20:02 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »

Or Zubrowka, even though it's Polish.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 04:39:56 PM »

Or Zubrowka, even though it's Polish.

I tried that Ukrainian pepper stuff at a party at the Kotar's house...you can have it.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 06:55:27 PM »

" Or Zubrowka, even though it's Polish. "

Let's play nice...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »

" Or Zubrowka, even though it's Polish. "

Let's play nice...

james

It was more in reference to it being Polish as opposed to being Ukrainian.  There's no inference that it's bad because it's Polish.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 09:13:11 PM »

It's hard for me to say  Tongue, but that Goose is pretty darn good...

james

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 02:21:53 AM »

We ain't got time to keep up with all y'alls peculiar tastes and habits. And we're too polite to point 'em out.  Cheesy BTW, it's Southerners with a capital 'S'. The north is a direction, the South is a location.
But I will say that we do need y'all, for we could not properly educate our youngsters on the difference between good and bad if not for our Northen neighbors. Ain't no account to get all riled up...just a little friendly discourse  Cheesy

Gabriel

It's good to know the South needs us Brits! (I'm not a Yankee). I would say, however, that in my experience (I used to share a house with three Southerners - from Kentucky, Alabama and Tennessee) that I have much more in common as an ethnically non-British northerner with Southerners than I do with Yankees. It's just that petrol you have the cheek to call whisky that I can't abide (and I've still never managed to figure out what barbecue is when used to describe a foodstuff).

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 01:43:27 PM »

Thanks jmbejdl, we appreciate the recognition. Smiley

The Welsh wysgi is Penderyn - I've got a blessed bottle of it sitting on top of my bookshelf. Its a special occasion whiskey for us - but one can get it in larger cities of the US now.

Otherwise, I prefer Scotch; Speyside myself. I've also been looking for Cock O the North - a blaeberry whiskey brewed by the Chief of the House of Gordon. One can't seem to be it in the USA, and even in London I got laughed at when I asked if they had any (something must have got lost in translation).

Bourbon, whew - I have a rough time with that stuff. There are only two brands I can really drink: Maker's Mark, and Woodford Reserve. I'd much rather drink Rum (family used to make it before the war), or Tequila. I have to admit, I can't stand Gin. Vodka I rarely drink straight. But, the only liquor I hold as high as uisge beatha (whiskey - the Water of Life) is ouzo or arak. In fact, Razzouka Arak is my favorite commercial liquor of that type. I can't get it where I live.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

I prefer Jameson anytime, but on special occassions I'm inclined to snarf down a Basil Hayden from Kentucky (a little sweet but truly the smoothest I've had yet.)

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »

I prefer Jameson anytime, but on special occassions I'm inclined to snarf down a Basil Hayden from Kentucky (a little sweet but truly the smoothest I've had yet.)

Basil Hayden is very smooth.  My apologies to Fr. Chris, but I believe I like it better than Maker's Mark.  Shocked  Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 05:30:36 PM »

Then there's Old Sheep Dip

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/pure/sheep_dip.htm

I was given a bottle once as a present.  It's pretty good.  Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »

I don't drink hard stuff now (doctor's orders), but from what I remember from way back then, I enjoyed Slivovitsa quite a bit. And yes, I know it is not a whiskey--to my benighted taste buds all spirits with high alcohol content fell into the same category. I guess I am a wine person.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:15:59 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »

Laphroiag or Lagavulin. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »

I have never had the money for a single malt, but I do like Johnny Walker quite a bit. I much prefer it to any Bourbon.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stewie

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 07:52:19 AM »

Johnnie Walker Black is my everyday scotch.
For a special treat, Lagavulin 16 or Highland Park 18. 
But I'm not picky... a couple of ice cubes make any scotch/bourbon/whiskey palatable.
jayjay

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 09:50:43 AM »

Used to drink Black Velvet (Canadian), but then spoke to a friend whose family have a distillary - his advise - don't drink any blended scotch - his opinion of JW is not suitable for this forum - so we started with non blended scotch. You can tell the difference -  much smoother, and better tasting! My opinion!
Tags: whiskey 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: