OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 08:57:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ Cloning  (Read 1209 times) Average Rating: 0
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« on: May 17, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »

With the holy relics that we have protected, it is more than likely that we have the DNA of Christ.  The state of science today shows the inevitablitity of cloning humans tomorrow.  What will happen if the orthodox contributes DNA that belongs to Christ to this scientific progress.  Would the result be significant to our orthodox faith?  Is it a sin to even think such thoughts?  If the DNA was computerized and cloning became commodity, what would happen if a corporation profited by selling christ children to willing parents?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:00:37 PM by Eleos » Logged

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 01:43:58 AM »

With the holy relics that we have protected, it is more than likely that we have the DNA of Christ.

What relics would you be talking about?  Since Christ is risen from the dead and has ascended to the heavens, what relics of His body could He have left behind?  The Shroud of Turin (assuming that this is indeed the burial cloth of Christ as many people believe)?  Fragments of the true Cross?  I believe the only relics we could possible find would be those items that we can confirm Christ touched in some physical way.  Would any of these items still have enough intact DNA to even produce a clone?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:45:36 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:47:10 AM »

Why wait for cloning technology?
Christ is made present in every chalice on every Holy Table in every Orthodox Church at every Divine Liturgy. Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »

Leontius of Byzantium, not a Church Father, but nevertheless influential in Christology, posited that Christ took the flesh of all humanity.  But he took this deified humanity and wrapped it in his divinity--so without a) the divinity and b) the deified nature of the flesh, you would only get a man that had the same physical features. Clones do not have the same exact personality as the one from whom they are cloned, necessarily.  Furthermore, maybe all the DNA ascended with him Wink

Interesting speculation though.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:05:12 AM »

Clones do not have the same exact personality as the one from whom they are cloned, necessarily.

No indeed, as can be seen by the natural clones that already exist: Identical Twins.  They may look like, but all the ones I've known are very different people. Experiences and situations affect people, not just the genes.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »

Is the soul of a human being created at conception by an act of God, or is it a natural creation, conceived from the beginning of creation?  We do believe that part of identity is soul, which is separated from body at death, and that the heart is partly spiritual and the center of identity.  So he would not be the same person by human nature alone.

I expect that one day people will be paying for the use of DNA of famous people to combine into their offspring.  It will be a new genocide of sorts.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 03:53:24 PM »

Anastasios and Ebor nailed it, I believe. Even if it were possible to find Christ's DNA and make His clone, it would not be the same Person - just like one identical twin is not the same person as another identical twin. --George

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: