OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:54:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Know website with list of bishop's succession?  (Read 1276 times) Average Rating: 0
trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 15, 2007, 06:50:05 AM »

A Protestant with whom I coorespond was shocked  Shocked to learn that the Orthodox Church claims that their bishops' lines of succession go back to the apostles. 

I heard a guest on an Orthodox radio program say that on his church's website, there is a geneology of the bishop's succession.  Does anyone know of any such websites?

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »

This website might be of some help, though the information is not exactly presented in the most organized way. I stopped every once in a while to see if the right bishop was in the right place, and didn't see any major issues; well, except that almost all of it is based on tradition (e.g., there is no evidence that I'm aware of that Andrew actually founded the Church at Byzantium, the small village that would 300 years later be renamed Constantinople).

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's what trifecta is after Asteriktos. The website you linked to shows the list of those who have held particular Bishoprics and Sees. I think what trifecta is after is a list of "cheirotonias" ("laying on of hands") traced back to the Apostles. For example: "Bartholomew was ordained by Stylianos who was ordained by Demetrios, who was ordained by Benedict........ who was ordained by the Apostle St. John" I'm not sure how such a list would be kept in the Orthodox Church since our Bishops have been ordained by at least two other Bishops for centuries.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:46:13 AM »

That's right ozgeorge--a list of "cheirotonias" is what I am looking for.

BTW, In every new religion I have explored, each has its own vocabulary.
With Orthodoxy, my brain is getting a workout Cheesy

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »

try www.friesian.com

Antiochian OC N.A.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »

I would be surprised if such records exist as most, along with the rest of the Imperial Records, were no doubt lost in 1453 and before that in 1204.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 01:03:20 PM »

Ahh! Well that I don't remember seeing Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:29:04 AM »

Good site!

Have you tried Wikipedia as well?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: