OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:34:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Purpose Driven Life ... Revisited  (Read 9948 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: December 20, 2008, 03:05:34 AM »

Is Orthodox Christianity compatible with The Purpose Driven Life?  Apparently, one OCA Church discussed the book for Pre-Lent back in 2005.  Yet, Another website has taken issue with the Bible translation used by Rick Warren and warns people that the Scriptures are being mishandled to suit the agenda of the book.

In light of declining Orthodox Church attendance while thousands flock to see Rick Warren speak throughout the country, is there anything in The Purpose Driven Life which complements Orthodoxy or goes against Orthodoxy?  To go one step further:

In light of this fact, we ask our Christian readers this crucial question: Do you care? Are you really so cavalier about God’s written revelation given to you that you don’t mind that prominent teachers like Rick Warren are carelessly handling the Scriptures?
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:22:11 AM »

Well first off, I haven't read the book. I don't know how helpful it would be, personally I don't think I would encourage it.

That said, I am currently working my way through a series by Lee Strobel: Case for Christ, Case for Creator, Case for Faith.

I don't they are perfect books, definitely have a Protestant bent, but at the same time they do something that I haven't seen done by an Orthodox book (point my way if I'm mistaken). Qute simply, they address the concerns/arguments of unbelievers. I think that that is very valuable these days.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »

Does Warren's book clearly state that Christ is the incarnate Son of God, was crucified for us, and rose from the dead? If so, it at least hints at orthodox Christianity. On the other hand, if all it contains are nebulous suggestions that God wants us to be happy, then it probably resembles more the prosperity gospel heresy and writers like Joel Osteen.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »

I don't like "The purpose driven life" at all.

I don't see it as compatible with Orthodox thought. I am not an expert by any means though. I think it rings too much of the idea that suffering and unhappiness are a result of sin. And that to me, isn't Orthodox thought at all. God is not concerned with our happiness over everything else.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »

In light of declining Orthodox Church attendance while thousands flock to see Rick Warren speak throughout the country,

There is nothing you or anyone can do about this except try to save yourself.
Nothing is happening here that Holy Spirit did not tell us would happen:

"Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron (1 Timothy 4:1-2)

"....for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first..." (2 Thessalonians 2:3)

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »

Here's what I wrote about this book on my website a few years ago, making a few changes here and there as I discovered Orthodoxy:

I tried reading this.  My husband tried reading this.  We both quit because of all the misquoted and mangled Scripture and misrepresentations of the Gospel message.  Translations were used based on which one made the exact point the author wanted to make.  You want to know your purpose?  Read the Bible, plain and simple.  It tells you how, more importantly, you fit into God's purposes.

I'd find you a good Orthodox critique, except that--not counting the Protestant converts who rip it apart on Orthodox forums--it seems to have fallen under the Orthodox radar.  I guess they're too busy reading Fr. Seraphim Rose, the Church Fathers and the Philokalia instead of fluffy Protestant pop psychology.  So here are some Protestant sites:

A site that critiques PDL in detail:
http://www.biblebb.com/files/tonyqa/tc03-148.htm
An Evangelical Lutheran review:
http://www.elca.org/lp/0505_12.html
A Lutheran (Confessional/Missouri Synod) review:
http://www.concordtx.org/msnews/cas_pdl.htm
Another Lutheran--Missouri Synod (LCMS) review, on the radio show Issues, Etc.:
http://www.issuesetc.org/resource/archives/purpose.htm
A review from the point of view of Baptist/traditional Presbyterian (PCA) Reformed theology:
http://www.challies.com/archives/000124.php

In the last link, this writer also notes Warren's "carelessness in his use of the Bible.  He continually removes Scripture passages from their proper context in order to make them suit his purposes.  He carelessly applies promises to the reader that clearly do not apply.  He also distorts or changes the meanings of certain passages to make them say what he wants them to say."  What's even more disturbing to me is that I have heard pastors preach sermons doing all these things.  I have read accounts from others that their pastors do the same.  This is one reason why we left the Evangelical Free church.  Has this become a common trend in modern American churches?
http://webpages.charter.net/nyssacugan/cgn_000012.htm

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »

Does Warren's book clearly state that Christ is the incarnate Son of God, was crucified for us, and rose from the dead? If so, it at least hints at orthodox Christianity. On the other hand, if all it contains are nebulous suggestions that God wants us to be happy, then it probably resembles more the prosperity gospel heresy and writers like Joel Osteen.
I have read the book, and the main idea behind it is that God has planned out each person's entire life, and we are happiest when we choose to do as He has planned--"find our purpose" as Warren calls it. It's really a bunch of pseudoreligious nonsense.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »

I have read the book, and the main idea behind it is that God has planned out each person's entire life, and we are happiest when we choose to do as He has planned--"find our purpose" as Warren calls it. It's really a bunch of pseudoreligious nonsense.

Very Aristotelean

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »

It's hugely popular in Pentecostal/Evangelical churches and in fact, was given to me by an Assemblies of God friend.  I was a little wary of it, given that I'd just converted to EO, but since it was a gift I thought I'd at least look it over.  There are parts of the book that we can agree with such as God has a purpose for each of us.  Pastor Warren submits that when we align our lives with God's purpose, we are transformed.  This also is true, but though he comes close to the concept of theosis, he quickly loses it and diverges over to something eles altogether.  But the most troubling aspect for me is that he uses 15 different versions of the bible and, as OrthodoxFairyQueen wrote, Pastor Warren "misquoted and mangled Scripture" leading to "misenterpretations... Translations were used based on which one made the exact point the author wanted to make."  I couldn't have said it better.  The final analysis (as far I'm concerned) is this: Pastor Warren makes some very good points and is obviously very sincere in his beliefs.  But rather than trying to separate the wheat from the chaff, it would be much more beneficial and healthy to read something like The Ladder of Divine Ascent.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags: Purpose Driven Life 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: