OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:37:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOA and ROCOR Relations: Warm or Not so?  (Read 1170 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: May 09, 2007, 06:55:04 PM »

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how 'friendly' the Greek Orthodox are with the ROCOR in the US and Canada...I ask because there is a Western Rite Orthodox monastery (under ROCOR) moving up to southern Ontario. It's called Christminster and its now on Long Island. Would a Greek Orthodox person be allowed to commune in ROCOR parishes or say potentially this future monastery (also under the same jurisdiction)?

To me personally, if its Orthodox, its good enough for me...I'm talking canonical of course none of these fake churches with really long names (Autocephaoulos Catholic Orthodox American Ukrainian Greek United church In Union with the Carpatho-Russian Metropolia) and with twisted histories (well...the bishop 100 years ago was really Orthodox but now we've "grown" out from them...)

Back to the subject, I don't think it should be a problem for one orthodox person to commune in another canonical orthodox church just because its a different durisdiction or rite. Then again, Orthodox in Canada is really really really ghetto-ethnic mentality. It would sort of be unthinkable for a Greek or a Serb or Copt etc to dare to even think of going to a church other than those parishes in their own ethnic durisdiction (sp?) and they all think they're the best.

Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »

Shouldn't be a problem, particularly after the 17th of this month. I'd say - check with your bishop. Many GOA folk (clergy and laity) hold ROCOR in high esteem. I would say the largest problem would be in not understanding the ROCOR tradition rather than an issue of relations. The problems in the past, however, were all related to ROCOR's involvement with Old Calendarist Greek groups. Let me know - however,  I've never had a GOA priest turn my family away.

Christminster, btw, is moving from Providence, RI. Long Island, NY is where the AWRV mission of Our Lady of Grace is located. All in all, we think it will be a good move for everyone.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:39 PM »

ROCOR is just about to officially re-enter communion with the Moscow Patriarchate. Thus, there should be no substantial reason why a practicing Greek Orthodox person (or Serbian Orthodox, Romanian Orthodox, et al.) would be absolutely barred from receiving communion at a ROCOR church or monastery. (In fact, I know of at least one ROCOR parish that has been communing baptized Orthodox from other jurisdictions, e.g. the GOA, for years now.)

However, it actually depends on the character and practices of the ROCOR monks in question. Monasteries can be more strict about such things. Some monasteries restrict the chalice, even from members of their own jurisdiction. One must have the blessing of the Abbot and he may require confession, or an extended fast -- or any number of things.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:44:37 PM »

I know that the GOA and ROCOR parishes 200 ft away from each other in Seattle eat at each other's food festivals all the time.  Things can't be that bad.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:37:12 AM »

Thanks for the positive responses. Maybe its just me but it seemed to me that many (unintentionally) think their durisdiction is better than any other (particulrly if its an ethnic durisdiction- even some western rite people )...then again thats not so unnatural to be attached to ones own form of expression of faith.

However its going to be definitely interesting to see how ppl will respond to this move as the GOA archbishop of Canada was pressuring for a male monastery to be established and for many reasons (ahem) it wasn't to be until now.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: