OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 24, 2014, 09:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Canine  (Read 935 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: May 09, 2007, 09:56:08 AM »

Has anyone seen the show Divine Canine which is on Animal Planet and features puported Orthodox Monks who are also dog trainers.

They are from the New Skete Monastery located around Cambridge New York.  http://www.newskete.com/

I thought I read something about the monks being married (but I could be wrong).  Does anyone know anything about them?

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »

I was under the impression that they had monks, and then also couples who were living as brother and sister (as many Orthodox couples supposedly lived according to the hagiographical literature). I could be wrong on that though, it's been years since I've thought about them.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:03:53 PM »

Bunch of Crazy ex-Eastern Cat'licks who breed German Shepherds and write lousy translations of Orthodox Service books.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »

They're OCA. They have a monastery, and also a convent some ways away, and then a community of married lay-folk nearby who are attached to the monastery and participate in its life in some ways.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:55:13 PM »

They're books on both dog training and spiritual practice are excellent.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Tags: Monastery New Skete dogs pets animals 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: