OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:36:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teaching Foucault at SVS?  (Read 1242 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: May 04, 2007, 05:53:29 PM »

Though I was a bit shocked to see this, I find it encouraging that SVS is moving up the intellectual ladder: http://www.svspress.com/index.php?cPath=43_78

Does anyone know if they are using this as a text within the classroom or are they just selling it out of the bookstore?

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »

Though I was a bit shocked to see this, I find it encouraging that SVS is moving up the intellectual ladder: http://www.svspress.com/index.php?cPath=43_78

What do you mean by that--"moving up the intellectual ladder"?

Does anyone know if they are using this as a text within the classroom or are they just selling it out of the bookstore?

Yes.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:43:11 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »

Wouldn't most people have read this sort of thing during undergrad, or even High School?

(By the way, what's so revolutionary about linking Foucault's cultural history of sexuality to knowledge and power!? Does he ever do otherwise?)

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:51:01 PM »

Wouldn't most people have read this sort of thing during undergrad, or even High School?

(By the way, what's so revolutionary about linking Foucault's cultural history of sexuality to knowledge and power!? Does he ever do otherwise?)

Well, I never heard of the guy before Seminary, although of course his ideas were taught in my university without necessarily being attributed to him and I recognized them reading up on him.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »

Some of us don't exactly have a rigorously academic undergrad.   Wink Wink Grin Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justinian

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 12:01:32 AM »

What do you mean by that--"moving up the intellectual ladder"?

I didn't mean anything negative, I'm just saying that it is encouraging to see St. Vlads using authors that many good grad schools (Princeton, here at UW, etc.) use in a variety of departments.

And what I found shocking is that an Orthodox Seminary was using material written by man like Foucault who had a very "interesting" lifestyle. I do not have a problem with it, I find the man brilliant, but I bet that some people (including a few people I know) would go topsy turvy if they knew.

Pensateomnia, you were taught about Foucault in High School?!! Most people I know have no clue who he is. UW includes his texts as mandatory reading material in the grad school, but alas, we undergrads have to settle with Marx (boo!).

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 02:06:21 AM »

Okay, call me a half-drunk party pooper Tongue, but WTH is Foucault?
Justinian

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 02:16:25 AM »

Okay, call me a half-drunk party pooper Tongue, but WTH is Foucault?

Only half drunk? pfffffffffffffff

He is like, only one of the coolest cats involved in 21st century academia!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: