OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:00:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divna is heavenly!  (Read 922 times) Average Rating: 0
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« on: May 03, 2007, 04:10:49 AM »

Shocked I just received Divna in Concert yesterday from Musica Russica. It is quite possibly the best Serbian Choir album I have ever listened. South Indian choirs can't sound as half as good as this! It's 3 in the morning and it it is keeping me up at night. Does anyone recommend Choir Music that has more a melodramatic tone similiar to St. Vlad's Choir? Any other recommendations?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:11:14 AM by alexp4uni » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

Yup - she has one of the nicest voices around.  My (former) choir director gave me her Doxology CD a few days ago.  I think it may be her first and from an Google search, out of print or difficult to find.  I'll want to get the "...in Concert" and "Glory of Byzantium" albums as well.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »

Well . . .depends how melodramatic you wish to go.  One of my favourite cds is called "Basso Profundo" and gives you that deep booming sound of Slavic hymns.  Afterall, that's the real reason I became Orthodox; so that, I may have a lead part now. Wink

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:31:57 PM »

Well . . .depends how melodramatic you wish to go.  One of my favourite cds is called "Basso Profundo" and gives you that deep booming sound of Slavic hymns.

I believe I have heard of this album from a friend is it possibly a priest-singer who sounds like he has a frog in his throat singing numerous Litanies and with a low level toned Choir (I am not very good at explaining the notations)? I might be wrong but the one I'm suggesting is and the one I like is typical of Bulgarian Chant called Sretenya music and the so-called western Byzantine choir that makes it much more acquired to Western ears. So any Album recommendations would be helpful. 

But don't assume I am a big fan of Western Choirs it's Slavic and Sacred Russian thats much preferable than Gregorian and Celtic Women Choirs. And I am still attached back to my Syriac and Indian roots of ecclesiastical music and as well as Byzantine. Right now I am obviously in a Chant Phase right now Grin . But I do reiterate the point South Indian choirs I've heard have nothing compared to the numerous amount of Slavic I have been listening to over the past year.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 09:04:56 PM »

Well, it depends.  In general, I'd say that the recording output of most South Indian choirs is as you said.  But a) our style of liturgical music is different from Slavic music, and so the best recordings of our music will still be different from similar recordings of Slavic music (the comparison is apples and oranges), and b) it's a matter of how good the choir is, what kind it is, and how they're performing the music.  I've heard great recordings of our liturgical music, but they are outnumbered by a lot of the fluff that comes out of India. 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Tags: Divna 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: