Author Topic: Paschal Gospel languages  (Read 642 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Paschal Gospel languages
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »
How many languages does your parish manage to read the Gospel in (at the Agape Vespers)?

We have long managed English (of course), Greek (by yours truly), French and German. A couple of years ago, we acquired an ordained reader who reads it in Hungarian. This year, for the first time, we also had a Romanian speaker available.

How about you? :)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: Paschal Gospel languages
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »
How many languages does your parish manage to read the Gospel in (at the Agape Vespers)?

We have long managed English (of course), Greek (by yours truly), French and German. A couple of years ago, we acquired an ordained reader who reads it in Hungarian. This year, for the first time, we also had a Romanian speaker available.

It depends on who shows up and every year fewer and fewer people come.  I, myself, have been unable to simply because of the kids.  In years past, we have read the Gospel in:
1)  English
2)  Greek (usually I do this, but if I'm not present, it doesn't happen)
3)  Latin (see above)
4)  French (done by the priest's wife)
5)  German (done by my fellow protos)
6)  Italian
7)  Samoan
8)  Arabic (rarer and rarer despite being an Antiochian parish because the Arabs won't come)
9)  Spanish
10)  Georgian
11)  Romanian
12)  Serbian (sometimes the Serbs come out to our parish because our Agape Vespers is later in the day)
13)  Russian
14)  Ukrainian
15)  Portuguese
16)  Dutch (we have a native speaker)

These are the languages I have heard at our parish in 12+ years.  It seems we average around 5 or 6 languages.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
Everything in Portuguese. We have a native Yiddish-speaking priest and a frequent native French-speaking laywoman, and yesterday Danish speakers from another parish, FWIW, but I don't think we ever did any other language in the readings. It would be interesting if our archeparchy started reading in some native language, but our Amerindian parish is probably in a 100% Portuguese-speaking tribe, like most.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:29:10 PM by RaphaCam »
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »
This was my first Pascha and we had Koine Greek, English, Latin, French, German (those first 5 are in the book anyway), Italian, Celtic, Arabic, Bulgarian, Romanian, Russian, and Modern Greek, and hopefully I'm not forgetting one.
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »

we used to do both English and Arabic, but due to growing number of youth and converts we only do English now, and move on

But sometimes matins and vespers alternate
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:10:00 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »

For the Paschal Liturgy they do 4 Languages: Greek, Slavonic, English, and Russian. For Paschal Vespers and Matins we do our standard which is English/ Slavonic. For Saturday evening before the Pascha service we read Acts in as many languages as we can, I think it was 14 or 15 this year.

Online genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »
In addition to English, we had French and Spanish. Our speakers of Greek and Arabic were sadly not in attendance. However, one of our very capable and enthusiastic fifteen year old altar servers, whose grandparents came to Canada from the Netherlands, told me he plans to get them to help him to prepare to read it in Dutch next year.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
English and Slavonic for us.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
This year it was mostly romance language focused.

Latin, Serbian, Romanian, Spanish and then Portuguese.

Some years we have Russian, French, Italian, Arabic and Aramaic
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:28:53 AM »
Here the Gospel in different languages is read not during the Vespers, but during the Liturgy at Paschal Night. And it's read by priests, not laymen(women). All the years actually the list is the same:
1. Church Slavonic
2. Polish
3. Greek
4. Latin
5. Russian
6. Ukrainian
7. Belarussian
8. Old Rusyn
9. Romanian
10. English
11. French
12. German (this year not, but it's an exception)
13. Hebrew (sometimes, e.g this year yes)

The vast majority of the parisioners is Polish and actually they're lacking the languages of the parisioners from the minorities, like Serbian ( ;) ), Japenese...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »
Here the Gospel in different languages is read not during the Vespers, but during the Liturgy at Paschal Night. And it's read by priests, not laymen(women). All the years actually the list is the same:
1. Church Slavonic
2. Polish
3. Greek
4. Latin
5. Russian
6. Ukrainian
7. Belarussian
8. Old Rusyn
9. Romanian
10. English
11. French
12. German (this year not, but it's an exception)
13. Hebrew (sometimes, e.g this year yes)

The vast majority of the parisioners is Polish and actually they're lacking the languages of the parisioners from the minorities, like Serbian ( ;) ), Japenese...

Wow, how long does that take? I thought it was a lot that we read all of it in 4 languages as part of the liturgy itself.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 06:34:03 AM »
Wow, how long does that take? I thought it was a lot that we read all of it in 4 languages as part of the liturgy itself.
There is a Polish saying "Lucky people don't count the time" :P
So, I don't pay attention how much time does it take, but, definitely, after the Communion, is the longest part of our Paschal Liturgy.
Ah, and only the first half of the Gospel is read in all these languages. The rest only in Church Slavonic.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 06:37:16 AM »
There is a Polish saying "Lucky people don't count the time" :P
So, I don't pay attention how much time does it take, but, definitely, after the Communion, is the longest part of our Paschal Liturgy.
Ah, and only the first half of the Gospel is read in all these languages. The rest only in Church Slavonic.

ok, we do it in full in Greek, Slavonic, English, and Russian.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 06:55:25 AM »
Slavonic, Greek, Romanian, Spanish, German, French, Ukrainian.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"