OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:26:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning Latin.  (Read 189 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« on: August 12, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »

It is summer, and I want to learn something.

English is my second language as you know, but I'm kind of ready to go and learn another language, after thinking about it, I want to learn Latin. Because turns out that learning Latin will improve my English regarding vocabulary and grammar. Plus it will be more easy for me to learn other languages in the future such as French, Italian and Spanish. Also it is the language that used in the past for all kind of intellectual institutions and religious institutions in the West. I'm fascinated by the Western civilization, history, tradition and theology, so learning this language will open the door for me.

It is almost impossible for me to find classes in my country for learning Latin. So I will depend on books and online courses.

Do you have any advices that might help me ?  Smiley Wink

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
Ekdikos
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »

It is almost impossible for me to find classes in my country for learning Latin. So I will depend on books and online courses.

There are no medical or law schools in your country? Or Roman Catholic smeinaries?

Syriac.Aramaic

Faith: Christian Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »

Learn aramaic, one of the oldest language in the world and it was spoken by jesus himself.
Thanks to my aramic i speak six other language and i can easily say that the aramaic language has helped me a lot with the other languages.

Rejoice in the joy of our god.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »

Do you have any advices that might help me ?  Smiley Wink

There are no medical or law schools in your country? Or Roman Catholic smeinaries?

Of course there are medical schools and law schools in my country.

I do know that medical terms are coming from the Latin language, the same as in Law. But I don't live in English speaking country nor in any country that speaks a language originated from Latin.

The Roman Catholic Churches here are not interested in teaching the Latin language to people, as I've mentioned, I don't live in a Western country, so therefor Latin language is irrelevant even for the Catholic laity.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:07:05 PM by Raylight » Logged

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »

Raylight, what is your native language?  I'm a Latin teacher and I can probably help you to find books written in your language to help.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ekdikos
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »

I do know that medical terms are coming from the Latin language, the same as in Law. But I don't live in English speaking country nor in any country that speaks a language originated from Latin.

The Roman Catholic Churches here are not interested in teaching the Latin language to people, as I've mentioned, I don't live in a Western country, so therefor Latin language is irrelevant even for the Catholic laity.
Roll Eyes
I wanted to say, such schools have Latin courses. In most of World, Latin language is avaliable at sceondary schools, and in every case on University level. Especialy in Theological, Law and Medical schools.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:12:51 PM by Ekdikos » Logged

Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »

Raylight, what is your native language?  I'm a Latin teacher and I can probably help you to find books written in your language to help.

I will email it to you then.

I'm careful not to mention my native language in the public forum Smiley

Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »

Roll Eyes
I wanted to say, such schools have Latin courses. In most of World, Latin language is avaliable at sceondary schools, and in every case on University level. Especialy in Theological, Law and Medical schools.

Aha, that is an idea. I might go to the medical school and ask about it. Thank you Smiley

Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »

Learn aramaic, one of the oldest language in the world and it was spoken by jesus himself.
Thanks to my aramic i speak six other language and i can easily say that the aramaic language has helped me a lot with the other languages.

It would be very nice to speak the language Jesus Christ himself spoke it. But it is an Eastern language, one of the Semitic languages, and that won't help me regarding learning about Western culture and languages Sad

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »

Lexilogos

Latin Library

Patrologia Latina

Wikipedia Latina

Wikibooks

Search Youtube, Archive.org and Google and you'll get more results.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: